Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Help Customize My 870

Bought a no frills 870 Express 12ga. pump with a 28" ribbed barrel. Love it. Mostly....

Uses: hunting/trap shooting (long barrel configuration) and home defense (short barrel configuration).

I'm 6'5" with long arms, neck and a long head so to say I feel "scrunched" when I fire it would be an understatement.

I purchased an 18.5" barrel with bead sight for home defense. Wasn't totally comfortable with it so I bought a Knoxx Blackhawk stock. Hated it. Sold it.

So I got to thinking about the most comfortable gun I own. My GAMO Whisper air rifle (pic below). Yes I said air rifle. It's freaking awesome but that's another story. The thumbhole stock and length of pull is perfect for me and the sights are kinda elevated so the point of aim is soooo comfortable.

So I've arrived at the conclusion I should get another barrel with rifle or ghost ring sights and a thumbhole stock. I'm considering a stock made by Boyds (link below). However, the limited reviews I've found on this issue are mixed. So I'm not sure what I wanna do, besides, this trial and error is getting expensive lol.

Help, suggestions, experience???

I also plan on a mag extention (I am aware I have to drill out the factory mag dimples), flashlight, sling, etc. Open to suggestions.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/REMING...-p/400-037.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S&W M&P40c; September 9th, 2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: brain fade lol
    Read what I say as if I were speaking in a matter of fact, unassuming tone.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Help Customize My 870

if you want the best barrel for HD check out VANG COMP. he also offers ghost ring sights and just about anything else you need. he did my 870 and I love it.crazywolf .also pic of me dusting so steel targets with it
    Last edited by crazywolf; June 28th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.

First thing I think you should change is to subtract 370...
    Al

(Cambria County)

Have you considered a Blackhawk adjustable stock? The LOP can go from 12 to 15" and hopefully fit you better. The recoil reduction lets you practice a lot longer without your sholder giving out too. They sell for around $135.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Fierro View Post
    Have you considered a Blackhawk adjustable stock? The LOP can go from 12 to 15" and hopefully fit you better. The recoil reduction lets you practice a lot longer without your sholder giving out too. They sell for around $135.
    ummm. isn't this the same as the knoxx blackhawk stock he said he had on it? unless he meant that he had the comp stock on it (traditional appearance) but i assume he meant the adjustible recoil reducing stock.

to the OP, are you sure a thumbhole stock on a 12 gauge is such a good idea? i have seen them offered for hunting shotguns, always seems to me that my thumb would get sore if i isolated it, and asked it to take on some of the recoil of a 12 gauge alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Al LaVodka View Post
    Al
    excellent.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    ummm. isn't this the same as the knoxx blackhawk stock he said he had on it? unless he meant that he had the comp stock on it (traditional appearance) but i assume he meant the adjustible recoil reducing stock.
    Your right it is !
    To OP: What did you hate about the Blackhawk?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Fierro View Post
    Your right it is !
    To OP: What did you hate about the Blackhawk?
    1: The pistol grip was not comfortable.

2: There was too much movement between the stock and receiver (where the "shock absorption" takes place) which didn't give it a solid feel needed for confident follow up shots.

3: When fired everything but the forend and stock moved so after each shot the action would be half way cycled if I didn't hold the forend ~just~ right. Don't ask me what "~just~ right" is either, I was too busy compensating for #4.......

4: I don't feel it absorbs recoil. I feel it simply delays it. Each shot was like a punch in the face because I could not maintain a proper cheek weld like I could with the factory stock. Therefore I started flinching.

IMO a horrible experience.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Al LaVodka View Post
    Al
    haha cute. I grew up with the 500's. I like them both, only I find the 870 much easier to take apart.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    to the OP, are you sure a thumbhole stock on a 12 gauge is such a good idea? i have seen them offered for hunting shotguns, always seems to me that my thumb would get sore if i isolated it, and asked it to take on some of the recoil of a 12 gauge alone.
    That's one thing I am worried about and I was hoping for some real world experience from someone. Like I said I haven't found a lot of info or reviews on the issue and what I do find conflict with each other.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast