Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Transfering handguns. What year?

Does anybody know what year you had to start going to an FFL to transfer handgun ownership? Or I guess when thay started keeping a "database" on handguns?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Transfering handguns. What year?

Quote Originally Posted by GlockBill View Post
    Does anybody know what year you had to start going to an FFL to transfer handgun ownership? Or I guess when thay started keeping a "database" on handguns?
    I'm going to guess and say that the database goes back to September 1, 1931.

Edit:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1714%2C3887263

Last edited by anonymouse; August 26th, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    I'm going to guess and say that the database goes back to September 1, 1931.

Edit:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1714%2C3887263
    Excellent find there! And notice they call it a license, not a permit

Cost: 50 cents! Although it doesn't say how long the license is good for.

(Damn, can't rep you... too soon)
    Last edited by HiredGoon; August 28th, 2010 at 04:24 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Excellent find there! And notice they call it a license, not a permit

Cost: 50 cents! Although it doesn't how long the license is good for.

(Damn, can't rep you... too soon)
    I've found a TON of interesting stuff in the Google News Archives.

http://news.google.com/archivesearch/advanced_search?

The downside is there's no easy way to save them or print them.

(Lycoming County)

I think 6111 (b) Duty Of Seller came about in 1995. I am not certain and there are better legal researchers on here to determine the dates.

Be safe (and of the record).

Scott

Act 1995, Nov. 22, P.L. 621, No. 66, § 4, in subsec. (b), rewrote par. (1), added pars. (1.1), (1.2), (1.3), (1.4), and (6); rewrote subsec. (e); in subd. (f)(3), following the first occurrence of "law enforcement officer", deleted "as defined in section 5515 (relating to prohibiting of paramilitary training)"; rewrote subd. (f)(4)(iii); and, in subd. (g)(3), inserted "under this chapter". Prior to revision, subd. (b)(1), subsec. (e), and subd. (f)(4)(iii) read:

"(b) Duty of seller.--No licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer shall sell or deliver any firearm to another person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector, until the conditions of subsection (a) have been satisfied and until he has:

"(1) Obtained a completed application/record of sale from the potential buyer or transferee to be filled out in quadruplicate, the original copy to be sent to the Pennsylvania State Police, one copy to be retained by the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer, one copy to be retained by the purchaser or transferee and one copy to be sent to the chief of police or sheriff of the county or head of the police force or police department of the city in which the purchaser or transferee resides. The form of this application/record of sale shall be promulgated by the Pennsylvania State Police and provided by the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer. The application/record of sale shall include the name, address, birthdate, gender, race, physical description and Social Security number of the purchaser or transferee, the date of the application and, in the case of a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), the caliber, length of barrel, make, model, manufacturer's number and the firearm to be purchased or transferred. When delivered to the purchaser or transferee, the firearm shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded."

"(e) Nonapplicability of section.--As provided by section 6118 (relating to antique firearms), this section shall not apply to the following:

"(1) Any firearm manufactured on or before 1898, including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system.

"(2) Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (1) if the replica:

"(i) is not designed or redesigned to use rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition; or

"(ii) uses rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

"(f)(4)(iii) The statement issued under subparagraph (ii) shall be issued by the district attorney, or his designee, of the county of residence of the transferee or purchaser. If such county of residence is a county of the first class, the issuing official shall be the chief of police, or his designee, having jurisdiction in that county."

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    I've found a TON of interesting stuff in the Google News Archives.

http://news.google.com/archivesearch/advanced_search?

The downside is there's no easy way to save them or print them.
    Yeah, I was gonna ask if you knew a way to do that... I tried several different things without much luck.

About the only way is to do an Alt PrtScn, paste into MS Paint, print, go back to the article, move around and repeat the process. Then manually cut and tape together the pieces

Anyone know of an easier way?

(Warren County)

Yeah, I was gonna ask if you knew a way to do that... I tried several different things without much luck.

About the only way is to do an Alt PrtScn, paste into MS Paint, print, go back to the article, move around and repeat the process. Then manually cut and tape together the pieces

Snagit is what I use to capture a scrolling web page into a screen shot

30 day free trial here
    http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capt...FZpN5QodoXcymQ
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Jefferson County)

6111(b) was amended or written in 1995, but the requirement for recorded transfers existed before that.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

Thanks for all the responses. A friend of mine and I were discussing it and didn't know.

I really like that Google archives! Now I know to check there too.

(Allegheny County)

windows 7 has the snip tool to capture any portion of the screen and save it as a jpeg. you could then paste the portions together in a photo editor.

i also found this program http://www.free-screen-capture.com/ the basic version is free. it will capture an entire web page, scrolling all the way down to the bottom.
    Last edited by PaBimmerGuy; September 7th, 2010 at 03:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast