Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default NRA challenges Federal Handgun Ban for 18-20 year olds.

I know we don't post every news alert from NRA-ILA, but I thought this one was pretty important:

NRA CHALLENGES CONSTITUTIONALITY OF FEDERAL HANDGUN BAN FOR LAW ABIDING 18-20 YEAR OLDS

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Fairfax, Va. -- The NRA is challenging federal laws that prohibit law-abiding Americans eighteen through twenty years of age from legally purchasing a handgun through a federally licensed firearm dealer. The case was filed Tuesday evening in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas Lubbock Division. James D'Cruz of Lubbock, TX is the plaintiff in this case.

"In Heller and McDonald, the U.S. Supreme Court clearly stated that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms for all law-abiding Americans," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA's Institute for Legislative Action. "That right is not limited only to Americans twenty-one years of age and older. Indeed, throughout our nation's history, adults beginning at age eighteen have served in the military and fought for this country with honor. But while the Supreme Court has consistently made clear that the federal government cannot ban or unduly restrict sales of items protected by the Constitution, the federal government continues to prohibit these adults from purchasing handguns from federally licensed dealers, which represent the largest and most accessible means of purchasing handguns."

The suit asserts: "At eighteen years of age, law-abiding citizens in this country are considered adults for almost all purposes and certainly for the purposes of the exercise of fundamental constitutional rights. Indeed, at eighteen, citizens are eligible (and male citizens could be conscripted) to serve in the military-to fight and die by arms for the country. Yet, Section 922(b)(1) prohibits law-abiding adults in this age group from lawfully purchasing -- from the most prevalent and readily available source -- what the Supreme Court has called "the quintessential self-defense weapon" and "the most popular weapon chosen by Americans for self-defense in the home."

The plaintiff, Mr. D'Cruz, is well-trained in the proper handling and use of firearms, including handguns. His initial training was with his grandfather, a World War II veteran, who wanted his grandchildren to understand the proper and safe techniques for use and storage of firearms. Mr. D'Cruz received further training from his father and as a member of the Navy Junior Reserve Officer's Training Corps, where he achieved the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade. During his junior and senior years of high school, Mr. D'Cruz was a member of the JROTC's marksmanship team, and as member of that team has competed in regional and national marksmanship competitions. Mr. D'Cruz received numerous awards, including a first place medal for marksmanship, in a regional competition. Mr. D'Cruz also received a Foreign Legion unit award for marksmanship.

The case is D'Cruz v. BATFE.
    http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/News....aspx?ID=14212

Default Re: NRA challenges Federal Handgun Ban for 18-20 year olds.

Love it...just love it!!! And, as more lawsuits are filed on behalf of a "RIGHT" that is denied or restricted, our political agenda will be fulfilled. I see nothing but good coming out of this. Can't wait to see lawsuits filed in states like Maryland for the right to carry for personal defense and force all anti states to accept that the 2A is a right, not a privilidge.

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; September 8th, 2010 at 03:05 PM.

(Berks County)

It seems the NRA definitely did their homework on this one, as Mr. D'Cruz is about as good a candidate as one can get for such a case.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Finally!...Just wish they had done it when I was about 16 or 17.

(Northumberland County)

(Lehigh County)

I think they should raise the minimum age for bearing children and lower the handgun age.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

Good going NRA! It's a real good case. The individual involved seems to be a top notch citizen. This is the thing that makes my NRA membership worth every penny.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Monroe County)

While i've been somewhat disappointed in the NRA recently, this looks promising. i may have to re-evaluate
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Montgomery County)

They made one error. If you're going to play the milita angle the age is 17!

(Allegheny County)

maybe we could work on lowering the drinking age too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast