Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default 1st LEO traffic stop and asked to step out of vehicle

just happen less then 15mins ago. everything went well expect a few mistake on my part.
    my mistakes
    1st i did a rolling stop at a stop sign at by temple university.
    lights came on and i knew what's up
    2nd my paper work arn't in order, i didn't have update paper work but everything is legal. both ins and reg is expired by a few days.
    3rd the biggest mistake, i'll explain.

once i pulled over, i rolled down my driver side window, everything is tinted, the cops came over the passenger side, so i rolled down the front window, he asked me roll all windows down. I had my id, and papers in hand, but he didn't want it, asked to step to the rear of the truck. I'm like oh shit. he's walking towards the back of the truck and i called for him, he peeks in, i said, I'm armed, as i was hold my LTCF out towards him.
    that's my mistake. should of just given him my LTCF instead of say anything.
    he came to the driver side his partner followed, no gun drawn or anything. still in the driver seat i scooted so that he can unholster me, it went smoothly, his partner ran my id, they didn't say anything bout checking to see if the gun was stolen or anything.

they lecture me about letting LEO know right away bout the firearm, I said i'm not from philly, i didn't sign that sheet (that sheet the phila force you to sign) i said I've never seen it but have heard bout it. I said i wasn't expecting to be out of the vehicle. then I ask why i got pulled over, stop sign, but i didn't get cited.

I think the real reason was my tinted windows. I mention that i've heard about the recent increase amount of enforcement in the area, he said they been finding alots of drug running and illegal guns. I told him that my job is only a few blocks down and the LEO at the 6th pretty much knows me/the company. in under 10 mins it was done, they place the gun in my rear passenger seat. I questioned that, they say don't get till they leave. as they pull off I flagged them back. they didn't return my LTCF, spent a few minutes looking for it. I thought they purposely kept it from me, but it was on top of the truck. didn't ever run my Ltcf, he put in on the roof, when he grab my gun and it was there the whole time.

he came back to my truck to help me look, I was on the passenger side, going thru my wallet he stuck his body thru my driver side window and opened my center console. I didn't much bout it at the time but am a little piss now.

i didn't get cited, wasn't put on the ground. this is the 1st i was ever ask to step out. there was another cruiser parked about 30ft away, i guess they called for it after they found out i was armed. the 2 cops were nice, treated me respectfully, I was expecting to spend alot more time there.

I'm sure it part of their training to look into my console if given the opp. i was gonna post positive remarks bout the whole thing, but i m just gonna say it didn't got south. I guess i made 4 mistakes. should of closed my windows. and locked the doors but i was so caught up thinking that they tried to keep my LTCF.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1st LEO traffic stop and asked to step out of vehicle

Sounds to me like you did fine. I would use this as a learning experience. I do have to ask how nervous you were. lol

Andy
    Andrew Jackson USN (1992-2010)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    i didn't get cited, wasn't put on the ground. this is the 1st i was ever ask to step out. there was another cruiser parked about 30ft away, i guess they called for it after they found out i was armed. the 2 cops were nice, treated me respectfully, I was expecting to spend alot more time there.
    They treated you respectfully by disarming you and searching your car without permission?

Hopefully they bought you dinner or at least kissed you first.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Delaware County)

Next time keep your mouth shut and your freedoms intact. Oh, and stop at stop signs.
    Last edited by GregorOneEye; September 8th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

bigthinker
    a little nervous when i was standing at the back of the truck, i few time i caught myself wanting to put my hands in my pockets, which i didn't.

theo
    I meant to say, they spoke to me with respect. i didn't feel like a criminal or anything. I didn't think about him looking in my console until i typed up the post.
    yes i know, they disarmed me, i didn't like that but i didn't get assaulted or had cuffs put on or patted down, i didn't feel violated. unlike the last time at citizen bank park. once i was asked to exit the vehicle i already knew and consented (to myself) that they could hold my gun for a few minutes. and i thought bout all the bad experiences i've read here.

gregor
    i was asked to exit the truck, that's why i inform them. stop sign, yes i'll try to stop and count to 3 before i inch forward, look left, right, left then go.
    Last edited by dunsho; September 8th, 2010 at 03:29 PM.

(Washington County)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Watch, take notes, learn.

If I may, a bit from a LEO standpoint (No I'm not, but was Army Guard MP with a whole bunch of LEO's..) 1st, Yes stop at stop signs, don't give them reason to look at you twice. 2nd, LEO's profile, sorry, just a fact of good police work since the beginning of police work. 3rd shut the car off, lets them know your not looking to run. 4th Role down windows, passenger and driver side these days, as some LEO's don't care to stand in traffic, specially with dark tinted windows, they don't know what might be going on inside. 5th IF armed, put 2 hands on the steering wheel and inform them your armed and listen to what they say. I know I know, the whole keep quite 5th thing. Look, you are not doing anything (beside the reason for the stop) wrong. Yes, they usually will disarm you, just so everyone will be more at ease and safe, they'd hate for any errors or change of minds to occur. Many a felon will start something if they realize they are going to be checked out...

Being a LEO these days can be scary, as you don't know what the person your stopping might be on, what their record might be or how much danger they might be in. IF they see a gun, they didn't know about while you take out your license and registration (and insurance card) it will make for a longer stop and them possibly drawing on you. They are looking for things that are not consistent with what you say and do. By doing this you will put them at ease and in the know, to eliminate any issues.

You know they COULD have cited you for the rolling (non) stop and they didn't. They only looked in the car to find the missing paperwork they they knew they didn't have. I'll also bet you where "sweating bullets" and looked nervous to their trained eye... When someone appears nervous they will look for the reason to see if it is more then "I have been stopped" nervousness.
    Add that to the tinted windows and moving around inside before they got there, having all your paperwork ready before they even asked (can make it look like you have been here before)..

Sorry to seem so long winded... :-)
    Last edited by captainRW; September 8th, 2010 at 03:46 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by captainRW View Post
    5th IF armed, put 2 hands on the steering wheel and inform them your armed and listen to what they say. I know I know, the whole keep quite 5th thing. Look, you are not doing anything (beside the reason for the stop) wrong. Yes, they usually will disarm you, just so everyone will be more at ease and safe, they'd hate for any errors or change of minds to occur. Many a felon will start something if they realize they are going to be checked out...
    The difference is, we (the legal carriers) aren't felons, and don't like being treated as such. There is, simply put, no reason to inform the officer if you're armed, and wasting time getting disarmed, plus all the possible time you could waste as they check your LTCF information, simply delays the stop and serves no purpose.

Thanks to 4th amendment case law there's also a decent chance informing will give the officer a "free" search of your vehicle, which just wastes everybody's time even more. God help you if there's an error in any of the databases they then choose to run your information through. That, and a firearm is safest when it isn't being handled. It's safer for the firearm just to stay where it is as the stop is conducted, rather than being handled by someone who's unfamiliar with it.

There are plenty of reasons not to inform an officer you're carrying. It's your choice whether you want to or not, of course, but the idea that "everyone will be more at ease and safe" if you do is not one that I can agree with.

(Venango County)

You forgot the non-database error but misuse: The sales database.

I have firearms that are not in that database in my name (legally). Who would want the hassle of trying to get a firearm back that is not 'registered' to you (per LEO), especially if they are Philly PD? Would you ever see the firearm again?

All because you informed when you did not have to. In the case of police reaction leading to a hurt or dead citizen, that would be a failure on the police side (assuming a law abiding citizen). But dead is dead, so it is up to each individual to decide at each encounter how to react. There is no duty to inform law in PA.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Monroe County)

Should have kept your mouth shut, or atleast said "officer, here is my license to carry firearms, I have my firearm on my hip". Not, "IM ARMEDDDDDDDD"
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast