Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default How do I fix my screw up?

Ok I know I am an idiot for doing this but this is what I did. First I deceided to polish some of the parts on my PT945. I nver polished a thing in my life, but I wanted to give it a shot. To my surprise I did an excelent job on it. I will post a pic of the finished piece. the gun was all black before I polished it!

Then I had another great idea... I wanted to polish a small section of my reciever on my mossberg 500, then make a small sticker with my name on it. Plce the sticker on the polished section of the Mossberg, then hit it with a blueing agent. So that after I removed the sticker that I made, my name would be still there all polished. Well I guess the reciver was made out of aluminum or something. Because the blueing agent didn't work at all.

Can I re-blue this gun somehow? Do I have to buy a different agent for the different metal?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pierce8468; October 31st, 2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: adding pic

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: How do I fix my screw up?

You can't "blue" aluminum.

You could try Birchwood Casey "Aluminum Black" but the results will probably be terrible on a large part like a rcvr.

Best bet is to have it professionally blasted and re-sprayed with a resin finish.
    What color/finish is the barrel?

(Philadelphia County)

The barrel is blued! That is one of the reasons my idiot self did this. I have a scuff mark on the barrel, hit it with a blueing agent and scuff was gone. I didnt even think that the reciever was a different color then the barrel, and prb a different metal. The reciever is more like a purpleish black

(Centre County)

Several options:

You can completely redo the receiver only with Duracoat (or similiar). This can be done at home, the instructions are easy to follow.

Take it to a gunsmith and have him reblue or parkerize it for you.

You can also get several different products from Brownells. They carry the Duracoat system and a product called Aluma-Hyde (a gunsmiths spray black for aluminum and alloys) I have used the Aluma-Hyde on a old aluminum receiver on a shotgun that I was refurbishing and it turned out very nice.

In the future you might want to test the receiver by removing the bolt and then see if a magnet will stick to the receiver. If it does it is iron based (steel), if not it is aluminum alloy.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

I will definatley be checking from now on. I just got all gung ho after the 45 came out so nice, that I didnt even think to check.

I will def try all of the products you guys have mentioned.

Thank you very much!!!

(Chester County)

If you removed the finish from the barrel of your taurus and polished it won't the bare steel rust. Or is the gun stainless. or did you finish the steel with something. LOOKS NICE REGARDLESS