Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default San Francisco reconsidering gun ban in transit ads

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The image of a woman brandishing a gun is gracing more than a dozen San Francisco bus stop shelters after the city suspended a policy banning firearms in advertisements on public transportation.

The advertisement, which gun-rights advocates created to promote a conference near the city later this month, was allowed to run after city transportation officials decided they might face a legal challenge on Second Amendment grounds for refusing it.

The Municipal Transportation Agency is "taking a step back" to review its policy in light of a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that said Second Amendment gun protections apply on a state and local level, spokesman Paul Rose said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: San Francisco reconsidering gun ban in transit ads

The advertisement, which gun-rights advocates created to promote a conference near the city later this month, was allowed to run after city transportation officials decided they might face a legal challenge on Second Amendment grounds for refusing it.
    Seems like it would be more of a First Amendment issue. Though I kind of doubt the courts would find any fundamental right to advertise on the side of a city bus.

Then again, even the "pro-gun" side on this seems to be trying to equate a picture of a gun as being equivalent to an actual gun.

"It sort of stuck in my throat a bit," said Gottlieb, whose group previously challenged a handgun ban in San Francisco. "A picture of a firearm, surely, I believe, is protected as much as the firearm is."
    Maybe dumb is just in the water out there. *shrug*
    Last edited by eXceLon; September 8th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Luzerne County)

Even if the .gov could do so in a completely impartial way(impossible). I don't think the .gov should be entertaining advertising at all.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

The posters drew some negative reaction from passers-by Monday morning.

"I'm not a huge fan of these posters," said Courtney Pyle, 25, a speech pathologist who says she is not a proponent of gun rights. "They don't make me feel great."
    I guess she would rather a criminal attack her, rape her, kill her?
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Centre County)

So when is CA going to break away into the Pacific Ocean? This country could do without the Republic of California, esp San Fran.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    So when is CA going to break away into the Pacific Ocean? This country could do without the Republic of California, esp San Fran.
    Plus Vegas would be that much better if it was on a beach!

(Allegheny County)

The posters drew some negative reaction from passers-by Monday morning.

"I'm not a huge fan of these posters," said Courtney Pyle, 25, a speech pathologist who says she is not a proponent of gun rights. "They don't make me feel great."
    It's not like it is a picture of mangled baby ducks. In any case, she probably goes to movies like MI 3 and Heat and loves the action scenes.

(Montgomery County)

Awwwwwww. The ads don't make Courtney feel great. And that's what really matters.....What makes San Fran residents feel great, than what is right and wrong. Rainbows, marshmallows and unicorns that crap skittles.

(Lancaster County)

They don't make her feel great because she may have to come to terms with her view on guns and possibly her entire worldview might be entirely wrong. Most of the people of that type of mindset aren't aware that there are plenty of people as smart or smarter than they are that live outside their bubble.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent