Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Exclamation Archbald: Range Rules Clarified

For anyone who has spent time up in Archbald at the public range, I am sure you know just how much misinformation is spread up there. Last Friday, I took a trip to try out my brand new Stag Arms M4 Carbine. The 100 yard targets on the "Rifle Range" were crowded, and I had no desire to wait 20 minutes for an all clear to run up and check my paper targets, shoot a few rounds, and wait another 20 minutes; I wanted more immediate feedback. I had also brought my trusty 9mm, and so I headed over to the "Handgun Range," figuring that I could shoot both the M4 and the 9mm there, and even practice my transition. As I headed towards the setup table, I immediately noticed a man turn and look at me with a concerned expression on his face. Before I even had gotten within 30 feet of him, he had already started my way and struck up a conversation.

Man: Hi there, is that a rifle?
    Me: Yes
    Man: You can't have that here. This is the handgun range. The Rifle Range is next store *pointing to the 100 yard target area*
    Me: I don't see a sign here that says "Handguns only."
    Man: All that I can tell you is that I was here the other day and a Game Commission Officer confiscated a rifle from someone for shooting it on this range.
    Me: If that actually happened, then that GCO was breaking the law, he can't do that.
    Man: Yea, well he was a real A**hole.
    Me: That may be, but he can't confiscate a rifle just because it was being shot in this area of the range.
    Man: Hey, I'm just telling you what I saw. If I were you, I'd put that away.

Almost certain that the man was wrong, I stood there for a moment thinking about whether or not to put it back in the car and head over to the 100 yard targets when it emptied out a little more. Meanwhile, that little bit of doubt creeped into the back of my mind and I thought, "Gee, I don't want to get this brand new $850 gun confiscated the first day I have it if a GCO wanders up here." So I reluctantly stowed it in the car and shot the handgun for a little while before heading over to the "Rifle Range" to shoot the M4.

Of course, the magainze limits still apply. Therefore, no more than 3 rifle rounds in a mag, and 6 in a handgun, regardless of which "range" you're shooting on. But that question was finally put to rest.

YES, rifles can be shot on the "handgun" range. Go nuts. Be safe, but go nuts.
    Last edited by C27433; March 23rd, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

Default Re: Archbald: Range Rules Clarified

I have witnessed all kinds of nonsense at this range... People shooting shot shells at the rifle range, people shooting rifles at the clay pigeon area.. But the most common is people shooting high capacity clips at the rifle range..

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee View Post
    I have witnessed all kinds of nonsense at this range... People shooting shot shells at the rifle range, people shooting rifles at the clay pigeon area.. But the most common is people shooting high capacity clips at the rifle range..
    I was there a little over a year ago and wow that place is an accident waiting to happen.

I was inpressed with the rather large Dude with some form of badge hanging around his neck, sweeping the firing line with a loaded hangun. A few times he was on the other side of the shooting bench, facing and pointing a loaded gun towards the parking lot.

We did not stay long.

(Lackawanna County)

Is this a pre-emption violation?

Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.
    I don't understand how an individual can be prohibited from possessing a loaded firearm at a public range unless specifically stated in the PA code. We all know the PGC doesn't walk on the same ground as the rest of us (they actually float above it an inch higher). This is just another example of arbitrary "safety rules" that they really do not have the authority to enforce, but will anyway.

Just look at the Harrisburg incident! I want to have a loaded gun on me at all times. I'm not going to make myself easy prey to some NY gangbanger looking to kill me and take my guns. I have a LTCF and I'm sure as hell going to have it loaded on me in my car and when I walk the ten feet from the parking lot to the firing line and back.

(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.
    The issue here is that although there are close range targets in Archbald (20 feet and closer firing lines), they are not specifically designated as "handgun" and thus according to this Game Comission officer I spoke with, whether other PGC officers like it or not, it is not a "handgun" range unless posted as such. They will of course try to enforce their own version of the law, but there simply is no distinction in Archbald.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a question that hopefully somebody could answer. Would I be allowed to shoot my rifle at targets in the clay bird shooting area? It would be nice to shoot over there once in a while, it seems its always empty and the rifle range fills up pretty quick.

(Lackawanna County)

As I recall, there isn't a berm to stop your round. With gamelands behind it I wouldn't use it for anything other than shotguns...

(Wyoming County)

hate to bump a old thread but i dont have a hunting license, how do i get a permit to shoo tthere or do i just get a hunting license

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperGuy View Post
    hate to bump a old thread but i dont have a hunting license, how do i get a permit to shoo tthere or do i just get a hunting license
    You order the $30 "Shooting Range Permit" online only here:

https://www.theoutdoorshop.state.pa....7C5A95410CD13B

Or you can go to any Walmart, Dick's, Gander Mountain, etc. and buy a $20.70 adult resident hunting license (you need to take the Hunter/Trapper Education course). It can also be bought online and printed out here:

https://www1.pa.wildlifelicense.com/start.php

Just need to have either with you at the range along with your DL.
    Last edited by CL3; March 19th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

(Wyoming County)

cool thanks. i may just get the hunting license since its cheaper. i did take the hunting/trappimg course way back wjhen i was a kid. i used to hunt every season but a job got in the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast