Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Archbald: Range Rules Clarified

Also, both the range permit or hunting license allows you to have one guest with you at the range who doesn't have the permit or license. Happy shooting... might as well get back into hunting while you're at it too now!

(Lackawanna County)

Ok everybody I have a question. I was at the Archbald range today and since, as has been mentioned on the pistol range there is no established firing line, I set up at the gear table as I have done at all of the ranges I have ever been to in both NY and the Philly area without problem. Today some hothead comes over and starts screaming at me for shooting behind someone since I was at table. Now, no one was near me, I had a clean line of sight, plenty of space all around, and last time I checked bullets do not travel in right angles. My question is, was this guy just being a arrogant obnoxious person or was I in the wrong? Is there a rule I missed?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by colaman442 View Post
    Ok everybody I have a question. I was at the Archbald range today and since, as has been mentioned on the pistol range there is no established firing line, I set up at the gear table as I have done at all of the ranges I have ever been to in both NY and the Philly area without problem. Today some hothead comes over and starts screaming at me for shooting behind someone since I was at table. Now, no one was near me, I had a clean line of sight, plenty of space all around, and last time I checked bullets do not travel in right angles. My question is, was this guy just being a arrogant obnoxious person or was I in the wrong? Is there a rule I missed?
    No he was not being arrogant or obnoxious. What if you had an oops moment and let one go across the line to the left or right? How would you feel about it if you were the guy closer to the target?

I was at the suscon range shooting at the 100yd range. A guy comes along and ask if it would be ok to go in front of the benches at the 25yd section. Another gut and myself told him no it was not ok. He packed up and left.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Yeah, you need to keep the line the same at all times. Need to work with everyone for "clear," "hot," or "moving the line."

Safer, and makes everyone feel more comfortable that everyone is paying attention to everyone else.

(Lackawanna County)

If that guy was old and thin, it was Ray,and yes he has O tolerance for anything remotely dangerous at the pistol range, he is retired military, army pistol instructor and a was a military champion pistol shooter.

He has witnessed soldiers get shot and killed due to stupid mistakes at ranges and will not have that happen while he is at the Archbald range while he is there, yes he comes off as a arrogant prick, but at the end of the day everyone leaves the range safe and most of all,alive.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Luzerne County)

The PGC lists the range has having 25 and 50 yard line firing points. You would not be allowed to shoot from the 50 yard line while someone was forward of you at the 25 yard line, even though they were off to one side. Everyone would have to shoot from the same firing point, unless one group stopped shooting while the other group or person walked forward to fire from the other firing point.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    No he was not being arrogant or obnoxious. What if you had an oops moment and let one go across the line to the left or right? How would you feel about it if you were the guy closer to the target?

I was at the suscon range shooting at the 100yd range. A guy comes along and ask if it would be ok to go in front of the benches at the 25yd section. Another gut and myself told him no it was not ok. He packed up and left.
    I was at the Suscon range this past weekend when a guy asked the same thing. I told him it was not okay. The WCO's have been showing up more frequently at this range ever since the vandalism earlier this summer.

(Lackawanna County)

I'm pretty sure that the tables that are there were not Provided by the PGC. They were placed there by private individuals, so they probably do not delineate a shooting line. They are not fastened to the ground and are always being rearranged. When I go there, I shoot at the line that was established by shooters that are already there weather it's in front or behind the tables. If I want to change the location of the line, I make sure I ask everyone if it's ok. Like others have said, you can never be too safe and it's definitely not in everyone's best interest to shoot from behind someone, or go in front of someone even if they are along side of you. By the way, If it was Ray that yelled at you don't take it personal. He's really a good guy just not the best communicator.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by havegun View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the tables that are there were not Provided by the PGC. They were placed there by private individuals, so they probably do not delineate a shooting line. They are not fastened to the ground and are always being rearranged. When I go there, I shoot at the line that was established by shooters that are already there weather it's in front or behind the tables. If I want to change the location of the line, I make sure I ask everyone if it's ok. Like others have said, you can never be too safe and it's definitely not in everyone's best interest to shoot from behind someone, or go in front of someone even if they are along side of you. By the way, If it was Ray that yelled at you don't take it personal. He's really a good guy just not the best communicator.
    You are correct, those tables were set up by the people who shoot there. Most times there are roughly at about the 25 yard line and of course anyone who is there talks to each other to set the distance of the firing line. (which usually changes several times while shooting)

Yeah, Ray can come off really hard but you're right, he doesn't mean anything by it. While he seems to yell a lot it's only because there are so many reasons for him to yell. lol

The times I go shooting there are usually only a few shooters on the 100 yard rifle range. They are regulars and very nice people and very safe too. The handgun range, well, that's another story!

(Lackawanna County)

ArchangleCD, Your right about Ray having a lot of oportunity to voice his concern at the pistol range. It gets crazy overthere sometimes. I don't shoot handguns as much as I used to, but I do spend a lot of time at the 100 yd rifle range. I like to shoot World War 2 military rifles. If you see an older guy driving a 04 Nissan Titan dark grey pickup or a 1995 olds cutlass sierra, thats me. Stop over and say hello. I don't know how often I'll be up there with hunting season and the cold weather.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast