Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Shooting on my Property?

I live in Murrysville, PA (Westmoreland County)& have 6 acres. I have a big hill in my back yard (goes beyond my property) which would serve as a solid, safe backstop. Is it legal to discharge a firearm in Murrysville? I was trying to find the answer on the internet, but could not find anything.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Shooting on my Property?

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I live in Murrysville, PA (Westmoreland County)& have 6 acres. I have a big hill in my back yard (goes beyond my property) which would serve as a solid, safe backstop. Is it legal to discharge a firearm in Murrysville? I was trying to find the answer on the internet, but could not find anything.
    Your best bet is to contact your township.

You need to check with your local township ordinances before discharging a firearm. Your location sounds safe. Dont trust the iternet for the most up to date info, go in person and ask!

(Montgomery County)

Its usually a set distance.

My township for example:

No person shall discharge or fire, or cause to be discharged or fired, any firearm within or through publicly owned lands or a safety zone of 450 feet surrounding any dwelling, playground, place of business or other structure within ______ township.

Some tips:

- you might want to be on the same page as your neighbor as a courtesy, give him the heads up you are shooting on a set day (maybe invite him over)

- I wouldn't shoot at night

(you don't want a pissing match with your neighbor)

On a side note- some people will build a shed on the very edge of their property which usually extends and projects the set "no shooting zone" beyond that. This is often done to push hunters away from their propertly legally- but would also apply if you were shooting near the neighbor's property line.

(Westmoreland County)

It depends on what you mean by Murrysville, if the municipality, out side the town boarders, yes, I live in the Municipality of Murrysville, I have a pistol range set up and a 100 yard rifle range, and I hunt Deer with a 308 behind my house. It would seem strange not to here shooting out here, I have 4 neighbors I hear shooting from time to time. Crowfoot gun club is a couple miles away from me. And a trap range 1 mile away.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    It would seem strange not to here shooting out here, I have 4 neighbors I hear shooting from time to time. Crowfoot gun club is a couple miles away from me. And a trap range 1 mile away.
    Heard Ya.

I live between Steelstown Gunning Club, Palmyra Sportsman's Association, and within earshot of Ft. Indiantown Gap.

Saturday is GAME ON for all the Trap & Rifle guys, and the 155mm's and A-10's rattle the windows most of the weekend. Buuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappp... WHHOOOOM!!

Not that I'm complaining...

The private place we go shooting at is a Cousin's Farm. The developements keep moving closer to the range, but we haven't heard any complaints.
    Political Correctness is the idea that you can pick up a Turd by the Clean End.