Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Training PA officers view of OCing

I was just at the range shooting the new 1911 and meet a cop who was training with his new gun. I got to talking to him and about his gun and got into the conversation of CCing and he told me that OCing was legal and told him that I do it from time to time. We starting talking about OCing and what he thought about it. He said that they are looking for trouble, trying to give cops a hard time, or show offs. I tried to explain the reason why people open carry and that its our right to OC and that the more people that OC the more its going to be accepted. I just thought it was interesting to get a cops point of view. What bothers me though is that he just started training and already has a negative view on OCing.

I'm not bashing at all just wanted to give my experience about the encounter. He was really nice guy and don't want to give a negative view of him at all. It was also good to see a officer training more than he has to on his own time.

Default Re: Training PA officers view of OCing

Quote Originally Posted by lightsdarkness View Post
    I was just at the range shooting the new 1911 and meet a cop who was training with his new gun. I got to talking to him and about his gun and got into the conversation of CCing and he told me that OCing was legal and told him that I do it from time to time. We starting talking about OCing and what he thought about it. He said that they are looking for trouble, trying to give cops a hard time, or show offs. I tried to explain the reason why people open carry and that its our right to OC and that the more people that OC the more its going to be accepted. I just thought it was interesting to get a cops point of view. What bothers me though is that he just started training and already has a negative view on OCing.

I'm not bashing at all just wanted to give my experience about the encounter. He was really nice guy and don't want to give a negative view of him at all. It was also good to see a officer training more than he has to on his own time.
    There are those on this site that conceal carry everyday, claim to support the second amendment, but abhor OC. Just sayin.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

The question is- is this something being handed down in the academy by instructors, or is this his own personal opinion?
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by lightsdarkness View Post

the officer was an asshole and his view isn't surprising

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    the officer was an asshole and his view isn't surprising
    So all the members on here that support the right to carry but hate OC are also assholes? Just playing devil's advocate here.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    The question is- is this something being handed down in the academy by instructors, or is this his own personal opinion?
    She's got a good point. Did you ask him about the MPOETC Training?

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    So all the members on here that support the right to carry but hate OC are also assholes? Just playing devil's advocate here.
    sure, if you can't make the distinction between private individuals and government agents

(Bucks County)

Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised by this. Hardly anyone that I've ever engaged in a conversation about open carry thinks its a good idea, and that includes many gun owners who conceal carry everyday. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever met a person in real life that thinks open carry is a good idea. The only supporters that I've found of OC are people on this website. So it doesn't surprise me one bit that yet another person is against OC, especially a police officer.

I OC everyday. I'm proud of my 2A. I've had cops look at me funny and not say anything. I've even had a cop tell me "You shouldn't wear that shirt if you're OC'ing". Heck, I've even pissed off my parent's neighbor by OC'ing while mowing the lawn. In my opinion, if OC is legal and you feel comfortable, do it. Just make sure you're 110% ready for that first encounter and begin educating people who ask you questions. Carry flyers with you. I usually have 4 or 5 in my back pocket at all times.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    So all the members on here that support the right to carry but hate OC are also assholes?
    You can't "support the right to carry" AND "hate OC". You may choose not to practice it, but if you're against it, you certainly don't "support the right to carry". OC is the only "right to carry" that is still recognized by the government in PA.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast