Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Just bought my first S&W Revolver (Model 65)

Hi all,
    So I was picking up a Ruger Mark II magazine from my gunshop and I saw this model 65-2 in the used case for $350. I knew I had to have it. It has some holster wear but looks as if it was shot conservatively. Probably an old cop gun, from what I can find it was made in the late 70's. Cylinder has no real discernible endshake and rotational play is minimal.

I was looking online after I bought it and saw that it's not a good idea to shoot too many magnums out of these.
    Anyone have any experience with the model 65?

Last edited by afultz075; September 6th, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Just bought my first S&W Revolver (Model 65)

What's the difference between a 65 and a 66, anyone know?
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    What's the difference between a 65 and a 66, anyone know?
    The model 66 has adjustable sights, the 65 has fixed sights. The 66 also had a different barrel contour, which covered the ejector rod.

I do not shoot magnums very often through my Smith .357's. Not because of any damage or the like, 38 special is cheaper and a little bit less punishing on the hands. It does appear that your 65 is from before 1980, as the barrel is pinned and recessed. That was a great buy for a fine weapon, enjoy.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

Very, very nice. Good price too. I would have put that on the credit card in a second, and not even cared about the girlfriend bitching about it for the next week or two.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Centre County)

S&W M65 is my first wheelgun as well, and what a great little gun!
    Mine is 65-2 - recesses, but not pinned.
    Mine belonged to local deputy, and I believe it may have been his backup or nightstand gun.
    Even without adjustable sight, she is a tac driver. It's more of safequeen as I shoot 686.
    Mine shoots best with .38SP+P, but I generaly shoot .38special.
    I don't shoot .357mag out of it as much anymore, as my 686 is much stronger and easier to shoot full magnum load.

Enjoy your classic!

Last edited by Mity2; September 7th, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lycoming County)

Nice looking gun...except for a Snubby ive not had a revolver since I was on the Police Department back in the Early 90's before they switched over to semi autos...im also trying to get back into the Revolver platform..just not found the right deal(CHEAP) yet But may have something to look at soon.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by afultz075 View Post
    . . . I saw this model 65-2 in the used case for $350. It has some holster wear but looks as if it was shot conservatively. Probably an old cop gun, from what I can find it was made in the late 70's.
    Police, guard, or CO use. Back when that 65 was made, revolvers were still the weapon of choice, and high-cap "Wondernines" were only a few years in the market.

I was looking online after I bought it and saw that it's not a good idea to shoot too many magnums out of these.
    The issue with K frame 357 Magnums is the relatively thin forcing cone that can crack when predominantly 125-130 gr 357 Magnum ammo is fired. These light-bullet-weight, high-velocity loads tend to smack the forcing cone with a higher impact force than do 147 gr and 158 gr 357 loads. My advice is to stay away from the 125 gr-130 gr stuff and shoot only 147 gr - 158 gr 357s and 38 Special or 38 Spl +Ps. Again, nothing below 147 gr.

Also, NEVER clean or polish a SS firearm using steel wool. Tiny particles of free iron become embedded in the SS and will act as corrosion initiator sites. You WILL be sorry. If you feel compelled to polish out scratches, use brass wool (Brownells, or McMaster-Carr Co) or Scotchbrite pads (gray then white only; green and maroon are way too abrasive and will leave BIG scratches), followed by a compound such as Flitz.

HTH. Congrats on acquiring a classic S&W revolver, and enjoy it! I have a 4" 65 identical to yours, and four 3" Model 65LS "Ladysmith" revolvers with the ejector rod shroud under the barrel. The 3" is a perfect carry revolver from the standpoint of a compromise betw. balance and sight radius.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Philadelphia County)

Looks familiar...

Nice purchase!

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

You did well on that 65, nice revolver. I carried a 66 4 inch on the job for 15 years. The K-frames are fine, reliable, accurate revolvers. I normally carried Winchester 145 grain Silvertips in mine, never had problems with forcing cone cracks or going out of time. Enjoy

Enjoy your revolver Taurus 65 reminds me of guess what the S&W mod 65 both nice guns stainless version of the Mod 13 which was a bull barrel 357/38 with no rear sights and no ejector rod shorud. Simple perfection.

Enjoy your Taurus Mod 65.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast