Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default "New" to the area

After lurking on this site for a while I thought I'd go ahead and sign up and introduce myself since everybody that posts here seem to be pretty decent folks.

My wife and I moved here a couple years ago from Atlanta, so we're not totally new to the area, but still feel pretty new as we haven't really met a ton of people and only really committed to staying in the area this past year. We're both teachers in the area, in our 30s, no kids.

Anyway, we've both been kind of interested in potentially getting back into shooting sports....even just practicing for personal enjoyment. I used to shoot small bore rifle competitions way back in high school, but haven't been able to shoot much since then, and regrettably have limited experience with other weapons. Unfortunately, I haven't been hunting in about 10 years, but used to shoot a 30-06 when I did. She's only ever shot her dad's pistols for fun.

We don't have our PA LTCF yet, but plan to get them soon, as my wife's dad (a sheriff's deputy in Atlanta) has plans to send us a glock to keep for travel and home protection purposes.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by the group Scotia shoots I've seen mentioned. We wouldn't have any of our own weapons to bring along, but would be interested in learning more and meeting some new people in the area. I'll definitely keep my eye open for the next one and hopefully we'll be able to attend.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: "New" to the area

Quote Originally Posted by mososokruppe View Post
    We don't have our PA LTCF yet, but plan to get them soon, as my wife's dad (a sheriff's deputy in Atlanta) has plans to send us a glock to keep for travel and home protection purposes.
    First, welcome. Second, how do you plan on using the glock for travel?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Centre County)

We travel to see family in Atlanta a few times a year. We also do training with our dogs and travel to competitions for that occasionally.

When I said "for travel and home protection" I guess it should be read as for "travel protection and home protection." As in, kept under the driver's seat in a holster, or in the glove box in its holster. Again, not so much because I think we would actually need it while traveling, but more because my parents-in-law are insanely paranoid.

(Schuylkill County)

Welcome, we need another straight man.

Aah, I mean deadpan comic foil, not heterosexual. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

(Monroe County)

We travel to see family in Atlanta a few times a year. We also do training with our dogs and travel to competitions for that occasionally.

When I said "for travel and home protection" I guess it should be read as for "travel protection and home protection." As in, kept under the driver's seat in a holster, or in the glove box in its holster. Again, not so much because I think we would actually need it while traveling, but more because my parents-in-law are insanely paranoid.
    Maybe I'm insanely paranoid, but a gun in a lock box under the seat or in the glove compartment probably won't do you any good if you need it right away. You should get accustomed to carrying it on your person, for the quickest access. And so you know, read this link; http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html. You cannot transport a loaded handgun in a vehicle without your LTCF, nor can you transport it unloaded, ammo and gun seperated, without your LTCF just to go on vacation. You would only be able to do that if you were going directly to and from the range, gun shop/smith, shooting competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Centre County)

Scotia is a good place to shoot, probably one of the best PGC ranges. But, if you are interested in meeting more people and even competing, the Outdoor Sportsmans Club is a first-class facility. For a lower annual fee, there are several clubs within 30 miles with annual fees of $10-$50. Places like

Mifflin County Sportsmans Club
    Lewistown Pistol Club
    Blue Rock Sportsmans Club
    Spring Mills Fish and Game
    Liberty Township Sportsmans Club

Also, if you want to carry a personal protection firearm, I would recommend looking into a course at www.pistoltraining.com

(Centre County)

Well... as far as I'm concerned you don't have to have a gun to come and enjoy the range!

Keep an eye pealed, were bound to get something together here in the coming weeks before the weather turns and scotia turns into hell on earth (pre hunting season). Seriously though we'll get a group of people together here soon and you guys are more than welcome to come. We can help get you started back into the shooting sports and expose your wife to it if she has not ever experienced it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

We definitely wouldn't carry the pistol until we had our LTCFs. I'm under the impression that our GA permits aren't good here, and until we get our PA permits we won't even have the pistol at all.

I've thought about us taking a pistol course together. I was lucky enough to do some pistol shooting in high school/early college with the US Army team in Ft. Benning (they were my rifle coaches at the time) but never pursued it further than that and would like to become more comfortable with them. I at least know which end to point down range though.

I'll definitely keep my eye on the board for any upcoming get togethers!

We definitely wouldn't carry the pistol until we had our LTCFs. I'm under the impression that our GA permits aren't good here, and until we get our PA permits we won't even have the pistol at all.

I've thought about us taking a pistol course together. I was lucky enough to do some pistol shooting in high school/early college with the US Army team in Ft. Benning (they were my rifle coaches at the time) but never pursued it further than that and would like to become more comfortable with them. I at least know which end to point down range though.

I'll definitely keep my eye on the board for any upcoming get togethers!
    http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...ry/reciprocity
    Just fyi, I believe your GA permit is fine here in PA.

(Centre County)

Aaah, good news. Thanks! When it's time to renew I'll just re-up here in PA now then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast