Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Anyone own a Springfield sub compact 1911 GI?

Always wanted a 3 inch 1911 but the Kiombers and Smiths are around a grand. I saw this one for just over five. If anyone has one please let me know what you think. Thanks.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Anyone own a Springfield sub compact 1911 GI?

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Always wanted a 3 inch 1911 but the Kiombers and Smiths are around a grand. I saw this one for just over five. If anyone has one please let me know what you think. Thanks.
    Springfield is a great handgun maker and you don't have to pay for the kimber name. I would never own a s/w 1911, mp yes 1911 no, stay with kimber and springfield. All the GI is, is a base level 1911 without the bells and whistles that other 1911's have. The GI does not have a Skeletal trigger, skeletal hammer, nice trigger, and the nicer sights.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by A-5 View Post
    Springfield is a great handgun maker and you don't have to pay for the kimber name. I would never own a s/w 1911, mp yes 1911 no, stay with kimber and springfield. All the GI is, is a base level 1911 without the bells and whistles that other 1911's have. The GI does not have a Skeletal trigger, skeletal hammer, nice trigger, and the nicer sights.
    While this ^^^^^^ is all well and good I think the real question here is, do $500 3 inch 1911s function well? I dunno. I would love to have a 3 inch 1911 for that kind of cash, but I really don't want a gun that will be a hassle. That being said who knows? Maybe some one with some experience with the 3 inch GI will be along to set us straight.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Look at the Rock Island 3" models. Same or less in price of the springer but you can get the nicer model with the Skelton trigger hammer beavertail and Novak style sights.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Beaver County)

To answer the OP's question...
    The little springer GI is a well made gun but does need some breaking in and a stiff wrist.
    I don't own one but the 2 I shot were the same... they worked but not terribly well.
    IMO, the 1911 platform works best in its original 5" configuration and shouldn't be tampered with.

(Berks County)

Amen brother
    For a good time call 555-328-5323

(Elk County)

I presently own two 3" 1911s, a Colt Defender and a Springfield Micro Compact:

I've had these for about 3 or 4 years now, and they work, but they didn't at first.

The Springfield was well used, filthy, and dry as a popcorn fart. Rounds would stovepipe and FTF going up the feed ramp with the Springfield factory mag. But what saved the gun for me is the accuracy. Long story short, it took a thorough cleaning, proper lubrication, slight adjustment to the extractor, and Wilson Combat mags for reliable function. Round count for the Springfield is 1130 without a failure.

The Colt Defender was also used, but hardly fired. It had a bad magazine ("M"-marked Colt Factory compact mags have short "early release" feed lips that simply are not reliable in my experience) and an extractor that needed tuning due to feed ramp hang-ups (the Defender FTF'd with the feed ramp being polished from the factory) and plunking empties on my head and in my face. With an Ed Brown extractor and Wilson Combat or McCormick compact mags it is now as equally reliable as the Springfield MC at 785 rounds.

I have a shooting friend who owns a Rock Island Compact which has function 100% right out of the box, and I'm patiently waiting for him to get tired of it. Some of the more "brand conscious" members here may not like to hear about $400 guns shooting like $1000+ guns, but there it is.

Point is, the farther a 1911 gets from the original 5" Govt Model configuration, the more compromises in design aspects are made. This results in a substantial narrowing of the "control window" of a Compact, Sub Compact, or Micro Compact 1911. EVERYTHING about the weapon must be 100% all the time in order for reliable operation -- cleanliness, lubrication, extractor, recoil spring force, mag spring force, mag spring feed lips, feed ramp, whatnot. I'm sure I've forgotten a couple dozen variables. In short, the SC and MC 1911 is not as forgiving as a 5" 1911, but that doesn't mean they cannot be made to run; owners just need to realize the requirements of a SC or MC 1911 and stay on top of them.

JMO and experience.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

i shot the 5 inch 1911a1 GI replica and it wasnt accurate at all, im not a great shot but i can tell you i shot better with a 3 inch and 4 inch? kimber.

(Carbon County)

I have the 3.5" RIA compact,, and it has 950 thru it now, not one FTF/FTE. nice grouping 3-4" at 25 yards. I have a buddy who is having issues with his micro compact springfield, but its barely broken in,, only 200 rounds so far.. His needs work but feels nicer and lighter than my RIA but mine flat out performs.. that said.. I still want a kimber or a new colt new agent.. now that is a nice 3" colt..