Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: .300 RUM OAL

(Beaver County)

Default .300 RUM OAL

I noticed the other day after loading some rounds the other day that are somewhere close to 3.72 the book says the max OAL should be 3.600. Now theses rounds shoot awesome and feed though the gun well, Is there any harm in this?

(Venango County)

Default Re: .300 RUM OAL

It could be that (depending on the make/model of firearm) your rifle could just have a long throat that's allowing you to load that far past the SAAMI spec, given that there is no evidence of the bullet being forcefully crammed the lands when chambered and there are no pressure signs on the fired brass. It also depends on the profile of the bullet as to how far out you can seat. Perhaps a little more information?

For perspective:
    I had a stock Remington 700 (.308 Win) that shot beautifully with a particular bullet seated 0.025" into the lands, with a COAL of 2.855" (SAAMI spec says 2.810" max, most reloading manuals state 2.800"). I know that is not as a big a difference as you are experiencing, but as long as there are no signs of stress/damage in either the action or the brass, I'd say you are good even if you are loading 0.120" longer than the SAAMI spec. In the end, every rifle likes it differently, so feed it what it likes.

Edit: Don't overlook proper neck tension as well. Make sure the bullet is still seated deep enough to be held securely.
    Last edited by jm84; October 5th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.

(Beaver County)

The rifle is a Remington 700 BDL, I'm using Remington brass and Barnes Tipped triple shock bullets 135gr. The bullet is seated firmly in the case.

(Beaver County)

Good info from jm84. You can buy a reloading tool that will allow you to see how deep or shallow you can seat a particular round with your particular gun. You may be able to strech it out longer than your mag will accept such as is the case with my .223. I can reach the lands but won't fit in mag. Here's a link for you 300 Rum. RCBS Precision Mic.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=110052
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Beaver County)

Thanks guy I'll look into that. I appreciate the help