Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

Default Best Progressive Press For the Price

Right now I'm using a Lee Turret press and it's done a good job but I'm tired of spending all day reloading. I want to upgrade to a progressive press. So what is the best buy for the money? I want something reliable that I don't have to screw with everytime just to make it work correctly. I was looking at the Dillon 550/650 but is anything cheaper as good or better?
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Best Progressive Press For the Price

This is a loaded question; I like the Hornady LNL auto progressive, very well made and strong. But you will have plenty tell you to only buy Blue.
    The LNL is about half the price of the 650. But the real money starts with the add on’s, if you load multiple calibers. Not knowing what you are looking for in an Auto progressive. I would go out and read as many reviews as possible about both, I don’t think you would go wrong with either Hornady or Dillion, with the Hornady being less money.

Buy once, cry once. Just get the Dillon and never look back.

Right now I'm loading mostly 9mm and some .45. I bought dies for .40 but haven't started loading it yet since I don't shoot it much. I really want something that I can load all my ammo for the month in a few hrs. Right now I'm shooting about 800/per month but I want to ramp up to 2-3k in a few months.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lehigh County)

Dillon square deal for the pistols, 550 for the rifles. I've owned Lee, RCBS (best of the rest) and others, and some were very good...Dillon is head and shoulders above the rest.

(Luzerne County)

I have a Dillon Square Deal, a Dillon 550, and two Lee Pro 1000s. They are all good presses; they all work; they ALL have their quirks.
    The 550 is not a fully progressive press; you must turn the shellplate manually to advance the cases. The Lee press demands a clean primer feed trough,,,,and it must be kept full. The little Square Deal, like all Dillons is a pain to load primers into. The tubes may be safe but it's one at a time for primers.
    Best buy....the Lees are substantially less $. One of my Pro 1000's is somewhere between 60 and 70 thousand rounds of .45ACP. The only thing that was a problem was that a little plastic gear broke a while back. Lee sent a new one (actually they sent two, I haven't needed the second.)
    You can't go wrong with any of them, just spend different amounts of money.
    If you are talking about versatility - changing calibers, etc - then the Dillon 550 or higher is the way to go.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Right now I'm loading mostly 9mm and some .45. I bought dies for .40 but haven't started loading it yet since I don't shoot it much. I really want something that I can load all my ammo for the month in a few hrs. Right now I'm shooting about 800/per month but I want to ramp up to 2-3k in a few months.
    if you are looking to load all three calibers with the same press than you might want to think about the 550. its easy to change calibers and from large to small primers. 9mm and 40 can be done with the same caliber conversion kit just pick up the extra powder drop and your ready. I can change from 357mag to 45acp in less than 10 min. it takes my buddy 20 plus with the lnl.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by asavo757 View Post
    snipped
    9mm and 40 can be done with the same caliber conversion kit just pick up the extra powder drop and your ready.
    Shell plates are the same, powder funnel and locator pins are a different size.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Luzerne County)

Right now I'm using a Lee Turret press and it's done a good job but I'm tired of spending all day reloading. I want to upgrade to a progressive press. So what is the best buy for the money? I want something reliable that I don't have to screw with everytime just to make it work correctly. I was looking at the Dillon 550/650 but is anything cheaper as good or better?
    That depends on who you ask. If you ask a Dillon owner, he'll tell you Dillon. If you ask a Hornady owner, he'll tell you Hornady. If you ask a Lee owner, he'll tell you he wished he had a Hornady or Dillon... hahaha

Personally, I have a Dillon XL650 with all the lickeys and cheweys and love it. For me, there were only two options I was considering: the Hornady LNL AP and Dillon 650. I needed an available automatic case feeder and auto indexing. Read this guide before deciding. It is fairly in depth and well written.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Susquehanna County)

I was looking at the Dillon 550/650 but is anything cheaper as good or better?
    You'll find cheaper, but not better. You might also find some as good.

All brands and types have little quirks that you'll learn as you go along. The worst thing I can say about my RL550B is it has a tendency to drop used primers on the floor now and then.

Most outfits have good customer service, but, I've never heard of anyone better than Dillon.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".