Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Philly Police Officer Shot in Head

Phila. Police Officer Critical After Shooting

PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ―
    A massive manhunt is underway after a Philadelphia Police officer was shot during an apparent robbery in the West Oak Lane section of the city Wednesday. The officer was the third cop shot in four days in the City of Brotherly Love.

Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said Officer Charles Cassidy, a 25-year veteran of the force, was shot near 66th Avenue and Broad Street just before 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Johnson said the officer was making his rounds when he unknowingly walked into a robbery in progress at a Dunkin' Donuts.

The suspect shot the officer in the head, stealing his gun before fleeing the scene. The unidentified officer was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center in critical condition.

Johnson said the officer was admitted to emergency surgery as the bullet passed through his brain.
    http://cbs3.com/video/?id=47821@kyw.dayport.com

http://cbs3.com/video/?id=47822@kyw.dayport.com

Although there is minimal information about the shooting itself, the Mayor, the Police Commissioner and the reporters are tripping over themselves to blame this on Harrisburg and the reluctance to change state wide laws to suit Philadelphia's problems. Mayor Street actually used his camera time to blame the cities problems on both state and federal gun laws. One of the reporters even used the word "Killadelphia" on air.

At any rate, this appears to be the third police officer shot in the past few days.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Philly Police Officer Shot in Head

I send my prayers to the officers family and hope to hell they catch this bastard.

(Cambria County)

Got an e-mail at work about this. Asking if anyone remembered an ex inmate with a spiderweb tattoo on his hand. That was the only distinguishing mark they could see on the shooter. Thinking he may be an ex-inmate.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

I read about this, all he was doing was getting a cup of coffee!
    Philly is going to ruin it for the rest of the state, isn't this the city of brotherly love?
    I see what Rendel is doing and his ties there, at this point I hope for the best & prepare for the worst.

(Montgomery County)

Default $115,000 Reward for Arrest and Conviction

Unfortunately, Officer Cassidy died earlier this morning.

Veteran Police Officer Dies After Shooting

Officials with the Fraternal Order of Police said 54-year-old Officer Chuck Cassidy, a 25-year veteran of the force, died at about 9:40 a.m.

Despite best efforts from doctors, Cassidy succumbed to his injuries Thursday morning.
    The reward is now up to $115,000 for arrest and conviction.

Veteran Police Officer Dies After Shooting

The Fraternal Order of Police, Citizen's Crime Commission and Dunkin Donuts are putting up a $115,000 reward for the arrest and conviction of the man who fatally shot Officer Charles Cassidy. Please call 215-629-3611 if you have any information.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Perry County)

Anybody notice that we have two threads going: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...-3-4-days.html

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: $115,000 Reward for Arrest and Conviction

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    Unfortunately, Officer Cassidy died earlier this morning.

The reward is now up to $115,000 for arrest and conviction.
    Perhaps they should take this approach more often? Seems like the Philly cops are unable to do anything about crime on their own and this might get the community on their side.

Although I'm sure going house to house and detaining every black male under six foot is not helping..

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Penguini66 View Post
    Anybody notice that we have two threads going:
    Actually there are at least three threads including this one. The other two are ---

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2/11080-2-shot.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...-3-4-days.html

Here's what happened. I posted this story to the News forum about two hours after the shooting occurred. What many PAFOA members may not realize is that postings to the News forum have to be cleared by a moderator before anyone else can see the post. I believe that Dan instituted this process so that the News forum has some integrity. This prevents urban legend, speculation and rumor being posted as credible news stories.

Well probably because of people being busy on Halloween, the moderators didn't clear the original post to this thread until 8 or 9 hours after it was initially posted. In other words no one could see it and I had no way of knowing if someone else had posted to the News forum on the same subject before me and also hadn't been cleared either.

In the meantime (understandably), two other threads were started, one in General and one in Pennsylvania. People started posting to these other threads, (myself included) and then my original thread cleared about 10:00 pm last night. So after the fact it looks like this thread was first and people ignored it to start their own threads, which is definitely not what happened.

The real tragedy here of course is the shooting itself. I'll suggest to JayBell that this thread be closed and that ExCopInPhilly has his thread moved from Pennsylvania to the News forum. Maybe the "2 Shot!" thread from General should be merged in somewhere as well.

Just a quick shout out to the moderators, "Thanks for Making These Forums Possible". I'm sure their job is much more difficult than many people would realize.
    Vortex

(Berks County)

Officer Chuck Cassidy's Funeral Mass is being broadcast live on ABC inside the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Peace be with him and the Cassidy Family.