Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default 1st time on the range

I am a new, proud owner of a Glock 26. Ready to hit the range but I have a few questions:
    On a typical visit, what is the average number of rounds fired (for a beginner)?
    Is overheating a problem?
    I have my LTCF, can I open/conceal carry it into the range?

Sorry if these seem mundane, but I'm a nob. If this has already been covered, I apologize and would welcome any links (my search skills are weak).

Also, any and all tips are appreciated.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: 1st time on the range

Quote Originally Posted by Luvrbcs View Post
    I am a new, proud owner of a Glock 26. Ready to hit the range but I have a few questions:
    On a typical visit, what is the average number of rounds fired (for a beginner)?

Sorry if these seem mundane, but I'm a nob. If this has already been covered, I apologize and would welcome any links (my search skills are weak).

How many rounds you fire is up to you. I typically fire 50-100, plus some dry fire. I quit shooting when I am no longer concentrating on what I'm doing - thoughtless blasting away is a waste of ammo IMO.

You are very unlikely to have troubles with overheating.

With an LTCF you can carry openly or concealed as you choose. Please see the open carry forum stickies for information on OC. It's important to become proficient in carry practices as well as shooting. With a blue (dummy) replica of your gun, you can practice drawing the firearm without endangering yourself or others.

I strongly advise getting some competent training now rather than later. It's better to lay a foundation of good practice than to unlearn bad habits down the road.

I would check with the range before carrying your loaded pistol inside. Some ranges forbid loaded guns anywhere but on the firing line.

You can shoot as much as you want, there's no way you're going to have a problem. I've shot 300 rds in one trip with my Glock and no problem.

A Glock 26 has a really short sight radius and is not easy to shoot. Don't get discouraged if your accuracy is not great at first. If you can start out at 5-7yrds. Focus on you front sight (should be crystal clear focus target blurry) and make sure your sight picture is perfect, slowly squeeze the trigger and let the gun surprise you. If you want to save money on ammo practice doing the same thing dry firing at home. First check the gun about 3x to make sure it's unloaded and leave the ammo in the other room.

There are a million things I could tell you but you would be best to either go to a class or look up experts online. Todd Jarret, Brian Enos, Matt Burkett, Rob Leatham, Saul Kirsch. Some of these guys have some great videos to buy or free on youtube to help with basic skills, grip, stance, draws ect. Here's a good one from Todd Jarret:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

One more thing, get familiar with the gun unloaded at home before going to the range for the first time. Know all the controls blindfolded. Know about how much pressure it takes for the trigger to break. Simple things like this will help with confidence and you won't be so nervous. If you've never shot a pistol before be very aware of your muzzle. It's real easy to turn and point in a stupid direction.

Good luck, be safe, have fun
    Last edited by Yoder; September 6th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(York County)

Luvrbcs, here are some threads you really must read through as a priority. they are "stickied" threads from right here at PAFOA in the Open Carry / Concealed Carry areas of the forum...

Where You CAN and CANNOT Carry in Pennsylvania...

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

Open Carry and what you should know before you do it...

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html

A handy Gun rights flyer...

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...carry-you.html

You should probably look these over carefully. Come back with ANY questions you may have. With your PA LTCF you may carry open or concealed, but it is not always a cakewalk. You need to be informed, and prepared, before you do.

Welcome.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Monroe County)

to answer a question no one else has addressed, overheating shouldn't be a problem (at least not with that gun). just don't go blasting at a bazillion RPMs, which is a pointless waste of ammo anyway
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Montgomery County)

I am new to this as well...

I find that 50 rounds a good number for me. If I got to 100, I start to get tire about round 75.

Like others have said, you must check with the range and it OC/CC rules...

(Chester County)

One of the books on Glock did 1,000 rounds through a Glock in 17 minutes just to see what would happen.

It was so hot that they couldn't see over the sights clearly and the guide rode melted. But the gun was fine (and a replacement plastic guide rod is cheap).

Unless you're planning on spending $250 on ammo in 15 minutes, I think you'll be fine ;-)

The bets advice I can give is to make sure that you are learning from your shots. If your point of impact is different form what you intended, try to figure out why you missed. Don't just unload into a body-sized target. Aim at a specific point on it (like a number printed on the target or a little sticker or a bullseye target) and try to get your shots to group closely together.

If your shots are spread over an 8" circle around your point of aim or if they are in a 2" circle but 6" away from your point of aim, then these are two different problems to correct.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Luvrbcs View Post

Not mundane questions at all. Kudos to you for wanting to be safe and practice proper range etiquette.

On a typical range visit I fire 50 to 150 rounds. I usually bring multiple guns so it depends.
    Overheating won't be a problem if you drink lots of water Sorry, couldn't resist. Overheating won't be a problem.
    My range requires that you unload at the door before they buzz you in. No loaded weapons permitted in the shop, only on the firing line. No big deal though, you can OC/CC to the range and then just pop out the mag and the chambered round as you enter.

Also ask the range their policy on rapid fire. Some ranges limit the number of shots you can fire in quick succession while other ranges don't care so much.

When you put your gun down to reload or check targets etc get into the habit of pointing it down range.

I think that covers all the mistakes I made when I started (not too long ago)

My first handgun was a Glock 19. Right after I got it I realized that what I really wanted was a Glock 26.
    My second handgun was a Glock 26 I find it to be one of the best "all around" firearms for my taste. In my case I shot both guns the same with possibly a slight edge to the G26. I've heard other people say the same, that they shoot their G26 more accurately than their 19. Have fun, be safe and ask lots of questions.

(Cumberland County)

I usually shoot about 100-125 through my Glock, same through my HK and about 50 through my Kahr until I'm tired/bored.

Then I start blasting away with my AR

I usually conceal or open carry at my range and noboyd has said a word. Every range is different. Of course, carry as you wish as it's not illegal, but you may be kicked out if they have a carry policy.

(Butler County)

Thank you everyone for the replies. It has been helpful.
    I've owned a gun before, 38 special, but have only shot that at a gun safety course. I have also shot an M16 during boot camp in the Air Force and various rifles in my life, nothing serious though.
    I am familar with gun safety but now realise that I will need to be more diligent. When I carry, I currently do not have one in the chamber, I am wiating until I am more confident.
    I have never been to a range, though. I have a coworker who is a member of a club that has offered to take me as a guest so I can fire and check out the club/range to see if I want to join. There is another club near me that I have to call and ask questions, the membership application mentions a sponsor and I don't think I know anyone there.
    So, it sounds like 50 rounds is a good number to start with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast