Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Barrel Blockage Clearing

Have any of you trainers found any information that would support, "Shooting a blockage out of a handgun barrel in combat."

I know on the range, we are trained to clear a barrel if a gun is dropped, so that a live round does not impact a blockage and damage a gun.

Lot's of different types of blockages to talk about, Squib, Rock, Dirt, Mud.

Big subject, but I'm looking for data to support the concept of shooting a barrel clear.

The concept is based on combat, when you need to pick up a dropped handgun and fight immediately with it. No time to, push a rod down the barrel.

I'm not supporting this concept, nor am I shutting it down. Just looking for info to support or dismiss it. Lots of red neck video's of people shooting mud and water, but not a solid blockage.

Thanks ,
    J

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Barrel Blockage Clearing

Never have I heard of shooting to clear a barrel.

While there is air pressure ahead of the bullet, I would be very leery of this pressure wave clearing anything out of the barrel.

Some gun companies do this when torture testing their guns. I can't remember which one I read about, I think it was HK. They had a bullet in the barrel and fired a second round. It caused a bulge in the barrel but the gun still functioned. I really wouldn't want to try it.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Have any of you trainers found any information that would support, "Shooting a blockage out of a handgun barrel in combat."

I know on the range, we are trained to clear a barrel if a gun is dropped, so that a live round does not impact a blockage and damage a gun.

Lot's of different types of blockages to talk about, Squib, Rock, Dirt, Mud.

Big subject, but I'm looking for data to support the concept of shooting a barrel clear.

The concept is based on combat, when you need to pick up a dropped handgun and fight immediately with it. No time to, push a rod down the barrel.

I'm not supporting this concept, nor am I shutting it down. Just looking for info to support or dismiss it. Lots of red neck video's of people shooting mud and water, but not a solid blockage.

Thanks ,
    J
    There is a loose description of it, but I believe the ATF testing for new guns include shooting through a blockage...

See page 23:

https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=6d...80a0493e6d3e89
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Never have I heard of shooting to clear a barrel.

This.

Just bring a New York reload.

(Bucks County)

My friends range had an off hours PD doing quals...officer sustained a squib, went to tap-rack-reassess-bang, and blew up the gun barrel.

Not advisable!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks Guys:

I think I found the info I was looking for. The ATF report makes reference to a squib test. That makes sense.

Glock said that you will not clear a stuck bullet, with a follow-up shot. I kind of knew that. They also said the ATF test, was a basic standard the gov has to assure the minimum strength of a barrel. They also mentioned that a semi soft blockage could be shot out. Like a dirt plug, in the muzzle. So if you are fighting and drop you gun muzzle down, pick it up and keep fighting.

J

It might work, but I wouldn't try it with one of my own guns. I don't think I'd try it with anybody else's gun unless I had a couple fingers I didn't need.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    It might work, but I wouldn't try it with one of my own guns. I don't think I'd try it with anybody else's gun unless I had a couple fingers I didn't need.
    Exactly. Or maybe a Ransom Rest and a loooong piece of string.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Sounds like something that needs to be submitted to myth busters .
    Tantric Shooting Team