Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default looking for outdoor range, french creek?

i'm in the philadelphia area and looking for free outdoor ranges. i have heard of french creek in pheonixville but i've heard it was closed, anyone know if this is true or not? do they allow pistols for this range? anywhere else within an hour drive? thanks in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: looking for outdoor range, french creek?

French Creek Outfitters in in Phoenixville is an indoor range. It's not free. Last time I was there it was $12 an hour.

Further west closer to Elverson, PA is State Games Lands #43 near French Creek State Park. That range is free, but I've seen some very unsafe practices there and some downright dangerous things.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/game/...?rgn=Southeast
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: looking for outdoor range, french creek?

French creek state park has a free outdoor range. It is not closed, I have shot my SKS there a couple weeks ago. Their website (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...enchcreek.aspx) says "A public firing range is located at the end of Laurel Road."

I suggest you mapquest it. I recall having a hard time finding it.

Also, be aware that there are some important things to note about this range:

1. It is not regularly staffed by park rangers
    2. You may only ever load 3 rounds into any firearm (revolver, semi auto pistol, rifle). Even though nobody staffs the range, if a ranger comes out and sees you squeeze off more than 3 rounds in a row, then you will get a serious fine.
    3. I have heard rumors that some rangers shoot there in plain clothes, so you better follow rule #2

Aside from these, I have found it to be quiet, a nice long range, with plenty of benches.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks asch, thats the one i was talking about. i couldn't find exact directions, i am in south philly and the pgc site just says from rt. 23 in warwick and i have no idea where that is. i do appreciate it tho.

(Lancaster County)

Cool Re: looking for outdoor range, french creek?

Go to http://maps.google.com

and do a search for "Laurel Rd @40.174321, -75.797411" (without the quotes)

that should get you there...

I had a hard time finding it too

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    thanks asch, thats the one i was talking about. i couldn't find exact directions, i am in south philly and the pgc site just says from rt. 23 in warwick and i have no idea where that is. i do appreciate it tho.
    To get to the range at SGL43 from where you are, go out the Schuylkill Crawlway to the Turnpike and head West. Get off at the Downingtown exit and head North on Rt. 100 about 8 miles and hang a left on Rt. 23. Go through the town of Warwick on 23, and about 2 or 3 miles out of town, turn right on Warwick Road (you'll see a sign saying "Winery" pointing off to the left, then a couple hundred yards later a sign on the right saying "Muddy Fox Farm"; the turnoff for Warwick Road is about 200 yards after that sign. Watch it, it's REAL easy to miss).

Take Warwick Road to the stop sign at the intersection with Rt. 345. Turn right on 345, then IMMEDIATELY turn left onto Laurel Lane. Take Laurel Lane to where it becomes a dirt road, and a couple hundred yards after that is the shooting range on your right.

It's nothing to write home about, but it's better'n nothing at all. They've got a dozen shooting benches and the same number of target stands at 100 yards, plus two stands each at 50 yards and 25 yards. Discipline there tends to be spotty, but I've found the regulars a fairly nice bunch of people to shoot with-- mostly hunters, couples and families.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks so much guys, that really helped alot. i think i'm gonna head out there sometime next week, i'm not worried about getting caught breaking the rules because if something is provided to me by the state i will follow all rules and directions whether i'm alone or all other benches are full. thanks again gentlemen and enjoy your weekend.

(Montgomery County)

Looking at the PGC site it does not list pistol at the French Creek range yet there are posts saying they do. Is it OK to shoot pistol there even though it is not?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bolter View Post
    Looking at the PGC site it does not list pistol at the French Creek range yet there are posts saying they do. Is it OK to shoot pistol there even though it is not?
    Yup. They've got two target stands set up at 25 yards for handguns.

Here's an aerial view of the range at SGL #43:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...&t=h&z=19&om=1

Dozen firing benches, dozen 100 yd. target stands, 2 50 yd. target stands on left, and two 25 yd. target stands on right. Separate area for shooting clays to the left of the main range.

(Philadelphia County)

wicen farms is a little closer to me. I am in philadelphia though, not sure where you are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast