Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: looking for outdoor range, french creek?

Thanks! I went to French Creek SGL range yesterday (in the snow squall) and threw a few boxes downrange. Nice range especially while it was empty for the most part. There are two 25yd targets there but not 100% sure they are for pistol even though they are used for it. All signs say rifle and 3 shot rule. Wicens is about 10 minutes from me so I'll give it a try later this week if possible.

(Montgomery County)

You can load handguns with 6. Its in the rules.

(Montgomery County)

Actually you are correct it is in the rules if it is a designated pistol range. According to the District office French Creek is not designated as a pistol range (although there is a suitable section there) it is a rifle, shotgun and blackpowder range which is limited to 3 shot in the weapon.
    Steve

(Berks County)

I quit going to that range... downright dangerous!!! I would wear a vest. You'rer only allowed 3 rounds in any firearm, no shotshells at the hanging targets. Paper only.
    If anyone is in the Pottstown, Douglassville, Birdsboro, Elverson vicinity I just joined at Northern Chester County Sportsmen's Club. Dues are 40$\yr, must be a NRA member. You're allowed to shoot anything but glass as long as you clean up after yourselves.
    You can PM me for more info. They just got a website up but Google can't seem to recognise it yet. A working link is available through Elverson rod and gun's website.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bolter View Post
    Actually you are correct it is in the rules if it is a designated pistol range. According to the District office French Creek is not designated as a pistol range (although there is a suitable section there) it is a rifle, shotgun and blackpowder range which is limited to 3 shot in the weapon.
    Steve
    Fair enough. Regardless, the rules sheet I read that rule off of is posted on the premises. Therefore I am comfortable loading six in my handguns on the far right "pistol" range. With that said I only go there weekday mornings because if there are other people there it is basically a display of how not handle a firearm safely. Also I have never seen a ranger there at all, let alone monitoring any of the things taking place.

(Berks County)

I would say it would be fairly safe to load 6 into your pistol, but keep in mind that its 75$ per round if the warden decides to be an asshole. I saw him bust some twentysomethings for shooting at an apple in that pistol range and fined them for littering.

(Delaware County)

[QUOTE=72Duster;158749]I quit going to that range... downright dangerous!!! I would wear a vest. QUOTE]

i agree, i still go up there but your right about a vest. anything seems to be able to happen up there. from unsafe gun handling, to things being lit on fire, gasoline bomb on clay range, people trying shooting the trees and target hangers down, seen it all there

(Philadelphia County)

This seems to be normal for state run ranges. I was at one in the poconos where some guys had set up a target about 10 yards downrange and were obliterating it with a Street Sweeper filled with birdshot.

[QUOTE=Ultramagnus;166273]
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Duster View Post
    I quit going to that range... downright dangerous!!! I would wear a vest. QUOTE]

i agree, i still go up there but your right about a vest. anything seems to be able to happen up there. from unsafe gun handling, to things being lit on fire, gasoline bomb on clay range, people trying shooting the trees and target hangers down, seen it all there
    It's only a matter of time until someone gets shot at that range, IMHO.

Wonder if people would take better care of the range if we had to pay to use it? Still, it's one of the few places I've found where I can take my 8 y/o boy shooting. Most places I've found around here seem to say kids have to be over 12.

We're looking at joining a club in Perry, Perry Township Game Association. We drove past it this past weekend, and it looks nice. It's an hour drive, but a heck of a lot cheaper than anything around here, and I'm tired of watching people wave guns around and seeing guns pointed at the backs of people's heads. There have been a few times we've got to SGL 43, turned around and left. At least it's given me a couple years of being able to show the boy what not to do.

(Berks County)

I stopped by there this past sunday to see what it was like. Very crowded but seems like everyone was on the safe side. I spoke with an older gentleman who seemed to be overseeing everything. Only unsafe thing was the idiot who showed up as i was leaving and proceeded to walk out to hang his targets on the pistol range while everyone was shooting on the rifle range. Fortunately for him they they stopped, shook their heads and watched in disbelief until he returned to the firing line oblivious to what he had done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast