Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Jamb on 45 cal

(Erie County)

Default Jamb on 45 cal

My Tarus 45 cal is jambing while reloading, I've noticed that the magazine is a little loose, if I hit the base of the magainze the round loads correclty. this happens with both magainzes that came with the weapon, anyone have ideas on how to fix this?
    Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: Jamb on 45 cal

For some reason, un-beknownst to me, "factory" mags from most manufacturers are actually not very good when it comes to the 1911's.. (I believe that's what ".45" you're talking about) and I'm sure your pistol is no different. Invest the money in some of the McCormic mags and see if that solves the problem. They are very reliable and while I don't yet own my own 1911 (which will hopefully change quite soon if my 100 hour paychecks keep rolling in ) I worked with my uncle's for quite some time and his factory colt mags were so-so, the McCormic's were awesome and I never had a jam with them.

Hope this helps!
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by redapa View Post
    My Taurus 45 cal is jamming while reloading, I've noticed that the magazine is a little loose, if I hit the base of the magazine the round loads correctly. this happens with both magazines that came with the weapon, anyone have ideas on how to fix this?
    Thanks
    First idea - GET SOMETHING OTHER THAN A TAURUS **Ok ok... No Taurus bashing sorry, bad habit**

on a serious note

Questions -
    1. How old is this handgun and is it new or used?
    2. How many rounds through it?
    3. Are you using FMJ or JHP or reloads?
    4. Has it been CLEANED WELL recently?
    5. HOW is it jamming stove pipe, double feed, FAIL to feed etc?
    6.ALSO, you said while RELOADING. Do you mean as YOU try to manually chamber/strip a round from the magazine by way of sling-shotting the slide/using the slide release OR do you mean after you pull the trigger and it cycles itself

Answers -
    Try a GOOD cleaning (as in field strip it and clean it all with a good solvent and good oil. **use a toothbrush**) a new magazine and MAYBE some different/better ammo for starters (also check the feed ramp to see if it looks alright, no nicks,burrs etc) . If none of this helps, take it to a 'smith and have them look it over as it might be an internal problem. Hell it might even be the mag catch/release itself, but this is all speculation and educated guesses until you try the above mentioned "fixes".

(Berks County)

Can you give a better description of the type of feed issue you are having and the brand of ammo you are using.

Is the round trying to come into the chamber and stopping there?

Is the round in the chamber but the slide is not closing fully?

Is the round going straight up into the ejection port?

you said the magazines are loose is that as the magazine is being inserted into the weapon, or are the rounds in the magazine rattling?
    gotta love her ;)

(Erie County)

I'll try to answer some of your questions posted, please bear with the poor spelling.

1. How old is this handgun and is it new or used? ---- almost 14 months old
    2. How many rounds through it? --- over 1000
    3. Are you using FMJ or JHP or reloads? ---New S&W FMJ and FMJ Reloads
    4. Has it been CLEANED WELL recently? -- Yes 45min to 1 or more after each use (within 4 hours of use)

5. HOW is it jamming stove pipe, double feed, FAIL to feed etc? --- Stove pipe a few times, Mostly Round get caught just before hititng the ram,

6.ALSO, you said while RELOADING. Do you mean as YOU try to manually chamber/strip a round from the magazine by way of sling-shotting the slide/using the slide release OR do you mean after you pull the trigger and it cycles itself -- No, While Reloading I mean, I hit the bottom of the magaizine and it will load correctly, or I remove the clip, and clear the jamb round, then reinsert the clip.

Can you give a better description of the type of feed issue you are having and the brand of ammo you are using. Mostly S&W amo, some federal mostly New, A few have been FMJ reloads.

Is the round trying to come into the chamber and stopping there? No, It get's stuck just before the ramp.

Is the round in the chamber but the slide is not closing fully? This happens on occation, but not very often.

Is the round going straight up into the ejection port? This has happend 3 times.

you said the magazines are loose is that as the magazine is being inserted into the weapon, or are the rounds in the magazine rattling? --- The magainze is lose, the rounds do not rattle.

Thank you all for your help. I've served in the military, and have had to clean my weapons for many hours, and many times both in peace and combat. I am very carefull about cleaning it. Actually, when this first started to happened, this was my first thought, and I had spend a few hours to clean it, and reoil it (lightly) and it did not correct the problem.

I've had a few others (no gunsmiths) look at it, and the first thing they noticed is the maginze itself is loose.

Thanks in advance.

Dean

(Berks County)

ok 3 things come to mind....

magazine catch is either bad or the spring is going bad

magazine is defective

extractor is damaged

first try a new magazine and see if that works

take out the magazine release and check the spring in there to see if fouled or spring is damaged or retainer is broken or worn

new extractor... remove extractor and check the lip to see if any burrs or damage to the extractor claw.

check these out and get back to me

good luck
    gotta love her ;)

(Erie County)

Thanks for the help, I'll take it to a gun smith and have it looked at to replace the mag release spring, and have just ordered two new magazines.

THank you once again.

Dean