Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: announcing you are carrying concealed to a police officer during a traffic stop?

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    A link would be nice.

maybe he meant this???.............
    http://www.shootingillustrated.com/f...=14&m=6&y=2010
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Default Re: announcing you are carrying concealed to a police officer during a traffic stop?

Your best bet is to inform ONLY when there is a chance that the officer will actually see it in the course of the stop. If you are asked to step out of the car (or decide to inform) DO NOT lead off with the word gun, pistol, weapon, it provokes someone on the edge to act unfavorably towards you. “Officer, I want to inform you that I have a permit to carry a firearm. On my waist you will find a pistol, it is loaded and has a round in the chamber.”
    Informing might get you out of a ticket, or it might get you shot in an ND incident by some nervous PO. The one who is likely to be nervous is the one likely to want to disarm you, and will likewise be the one LEAST familiar with a wide range of firearms.

A respected and favorite criminal law professor of mine said something like this:

Being a Police Officer is a funny job, it’s a job without a particular purpose, that is, very seldom are there any sort of achievable goals (end of crime, financial gain, world peace, expansion of powers), more than that it is a "do the best you can on a daily basis in furtherance of these general principles" kind of job. General principle #1 is, don't get killed; #2 is, protect your fellow officers; #3 is deter or prevent crime and #4 is, protect the public if possible and prudent. I list these in a particular order as well. Goals 1-3 involve a great deal of training which involves recognition of threat (this training really serves goals 1 & 2, but to the extent that most threats are also crimes, it furthers goal #3 as well). Threats come in many forms, but perhaps the most recognizable, the threat incarnate, is the gun (edged weapons being a close second). Officers are trained, both directly, and through experience to infer crime from the presence of these implements, it’s a survival technique and nothing else. Their experience on the street, largely, teaches them that people prepared for violence are CAPEABLE of violence, and that those prepared to act violently will do so against them…and so, to the sacrifice of the liberty and personal safety of the citizen, they pursue goals 1 & 2 at all costs. In a world where the lawless and corrupt police the lawless savages, one can see where lawlessness and corruption would breed, and why, to those bound only by their own interpretations of justice and morality, you paint yourself a criminal at your own peril.

Police operate on another principle as well, and it is true, 98% of the people they suspect of crimes, have committed some blameworthy act and deserve punishment. To that end, and with those odds in mind, the Police train in the fabrication and manufacture of RAS, PC or the evidence itself. This is corruption, however necessary, and in a brutal and savage world, it is an appropriate balance to the corrupt and lawless in society who fall outside of our ideals of justice…the problem is when we deal with that other 2%, the innocent and blameless who get caught up in the whole process. Good principles dictate that it is better for 10 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be punished…but society, in its idealistic stupor can’t rationalize that tradeoff, and so we allow criminal justice to proceed as it does. Don’t invite yourself into that world unless absolutely necessary.

(Pike County)

Just something else to think about:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Scenario was laid out during a "don't be a victim" type seminar: If you are car jacked...BG has your car and if your info is in the glove box he also has your address....AND he has your keys...which more than likely also includes your house key.
    ... or the garage remote control and "Home" button on your GPS.

As of the OP, there is one major rule: do not volunteer information to the police. And did I mention - do not volunteer information to the police?
    Je suis déplorable

(Centre County)

I was ticketed last Friday for making an illegal left turn. The LEO didn't even ask me if I had a weapon, and I was not compelled telling him either. I'm sure he'd be very interested in my 3 handguns and a semi-auto shotgun I had in the car, all within reach, but the less he knows the better off in my opinion because I don't feel like getting out of the car and kissing the ground as the LEO ejects the ammo out of all my handguns along side of the road and carts me off to back of his cruiser in handcuffs. It can very likely happen if you don't think it can. My philosphy, you are a legal and not breaking the law and never say anything or else you'll likely regret it. Just shutup and take your ticket and let the LEO return on detail to get the next driver.
    Last edited by pennsy; September 28th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    .......the Police train in the fabrication and manufacture of RAS, PC or the evidence itself......
    Is that so????

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Is that so????

They'll never admit it, of course.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Is that so????
    I'd bet money that cops, just like criminals, exchange useful techniques. Criminals teach each other how to make car master keys or phish for CC numbers; cops discuss methods of finding RAS via conversational fishing techniques. Some of them seem to smell marijuana or alcohol everywhere, others are trained to elicit incriminating admissions, and a minority just fabricate admissions or "plain view" observations after the fact.

There are just too many reports from credible witnesses to discount this. Same as all the stories of cops seizing guns without any legal basis; you could discount one, or several, or even a bunch of tales, because there are just a lot of cop-haters and criminals who want to appear as innocent victims; but you can't dismiss all the stories from reliable observers who lack any prior police contact, who had their guns seized because they weren't registered, or they had an out-of-state license, or they were near a library or something.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Northampton County)

Is that so????
    I don't know how it works, but you are damn right it is so.

I ran into 4 or 5 PDs plus PSP and all of them omitted from their reports the most glaring issue at hand - that absolutely none of them, between 10 to 20 of them, could have possibly missed. Not a single one of them could have missed it. Every single one knew it.

If it was one cop that gave me a hard time and fudged a ticket, or a search, I'd learn to be cautious.

But after this, what do you want me to think? With so many people from so many different departments involved that knew and completely lied, in my opinion, in their reports?

It was not OC related and I was not arrested.

After that, what should I think?

Is that so????
    I completely acknowledge the social utility of the concept...even if, as a citizen of principle, I don't condone it. Criminals play dirty and 98% of COPS either put up with it until they get frustrated and burn out, or put up with it until they decide that it is their responsibility to do something about these lawless savages getting away with murder. It’s only a natural evolution of the ongoing dynamic between [lawless] society and lawless policing.

Here's a thought for you, let’s say you aren't one of these Officers, fine, I would believe that, but for argument's sake let’s say you become party to an investigation in which you witness the planting of evidence following an encounter with fabricated PC. Would you turn in your fellow officers? Would you feel safe doing so?

You remember the Reporter's guide to firearms where everything from the 57' Chevy to the potato shooter was an AK-47? There should be a Police Officer's guide to firearms where everything from a wallet to a toothpick, a cell phone or a cupcake should be labeled "Glock"...I believe that all humans are very similar, with similar behavior patterns and psychological capacities, fine, but not even that is sufficient to account for the fact that 80% of officer involved shootings go down exactly the same way..."I was pursuing Mr.X as he matched the description of a suspect involved in a felony the previous day, (invariably a black or dark skinned male, 17-25 yrs old, 6' 0", 220lbs) when he turned suddenly. Observing a shiny/black/square object in his hand and fearing for my own safety I fired. The object was later discovered to be a spoon/comb/cell phone/dildo/iPod...etc."

...and to your remark directly, yes, it is so...I was relayed two stories today in fact, one 2nd hand from someone I implicitly trust who swore on his professional career that his account was accurate and obtained from a colleague and another 1st hand from a friend. That is not to mention what I have been party to. In fact, I had an acquaintance once that told me the story about where he got his drop gun and about the process he used to recover a nondeformed spent slug. Prevalence we can argue about but the mere existence of law defying elements, lawless law enforcement, is more or less a given.

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    . . .

You remember the Reporter's guide to firearms where everything from the 57' Chevy to the potato shooter was an AK-47? There should be a Police Officer's guide to firearms where everything from a wallet to a toothpick, a cell phone or a cupcake should be labeled "Glock".... . .
    To be fair, almost any rifle made around 1900 looks like an Enfield or a Mauser to me. Women have names for more shades of "blue" than you can shake a stick at, while men know the difference between pliers and wrenches.

And to be specific, if an aggressive male came running at me, making verbal threats and holding "something" in his hand like it was a gun, I might plug him, even if it later turned out to be the remote control to his Sony. As Saddam Hussein learned, don't pretend that you have a dangerous weapon, unless you actually have a dangerous weapon. Because a lot of folks just can't take a joke.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast