Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Best Underfolder AK for +/- $500?

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Yugo M70AB2 U/F.

Top-notch re-furbed Yugo parts mixed with top-shelf USA parts for 922 compliance. All the evil-ness in a tank-like gun. Look around and make sure you get the one with the "RPK" (grenade launcher reinforcements) recvr; you will FEEL the heft in comparison to other AKMs.

Else, as others have said; the WASR10 U/F to save a buck. 100% Romy built and with original chromed barrel - then set upon by Century jobbers to hi-cap and do the 922 work.
    Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter2 View Post
    I have to agree if your set on a underfolder the yugo is the way to go. The one is built like a tank. but like any underfolder the cheek weld troublesome.
    Have to third this, once you try a Yugo you WILL know the difference

(Montgomery County)

Go to Surplus City in feasterville. Shouldn't be too far since you're in the philly area. They have plenty of AK's including yugo underfolders for approx $475 i believe. I bought my WASR 10 there and my Yugo m70. I originally was going to get the yugo as an underfolder, but the cheek weld sucks, I don't see how that could be comfy to shoot. Went with the straight stock instead for a little more cash, i think it was around 525. BTW, theres nothing wrong with the WASR 10, but i do agree with you that one should visually inspect it first which is one of the reasons why Surplus City is such a good option
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    Go to Surplus City in feasterville. Shouldn't be too far since you're in the philly area. They have plenty of AK's including yugo underfolders for approx $475 i believe. I bought my WASR 10 there and my Yugo m70. I originally was going to get the yugo as an underfolder, but the cheek weld sucks, I don't see how that could be comfy to shoot. Went with the straight stock instead for a little more cash, i think it was around 525. BTW, theres nothing wrong with the WASR 10, but i do agree with you that one should visually inspect it first which is one of the reasons why Surplus City is such a good option
    Major +1!!

Great place to deal with. I JUST got a Wasr 10 from them about two weeks ago.

**Note, I did pick out the best wasr there. The others seemed to have canted front sights and the one I got first, I exchanged the next day due to a bent barrel. So EXAM each WASR before you pick one.

They had a few Yugos there aswell. I did not handle any of them, but they looked REALLY nice!

There prices are fair, and they will work with you on the price if you want to haggle. I did and saved about $20!

(Montgomery County)

Nice - Thanks a ton for the info and leads, guys...

I'm only maybe 15-20 min. tops from Feasterville, so it looks like Surplus City is the place I was looking for!

I'm not sure why I want an underfolder, except that it looks more nasty, and it can be stowed away if need be in a more compact form, as well as slung over a shoulder more easily - Like I said, part of this rifle's role will be the admittedly theoretical scenario of SHTF... That's another reason I would prefer that the receiver be able to accept drums w/ no fuss or muss....

I'm also open to side-folders (for compactness), but it seems that among unders and sides, the Yugo under is a solid option, based on the collective theme of the replies I've gotten thus far.

Thanks again - Always open to more suggestions, links, etc.

Regards,

Bones

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    <snip>

I'm not sure why I want an underfolder, except that it looks more nasty, and it can be stowed away if need be in a more compact form, as well as slung over a shoulder more easily - Like I said, part of this rifle's role will be the admittedly theoretical scenario of SHTF... That's another reason I would prefer that the receiver be able to accept drums w/ no fuss or muss....

I'm also open to side-folders (for compactness), but it seems that among unders and sides, the Yugo under is a solid option, based on the collective theme of the replies I've gotten thus far.

<snip>
    You want a factory folder - Tapcos don't count - because they are the epitome of EBR evil features (like bayo lugs???) that the anti's identify with evil-ness. The first to be banned after books.

The Romy/East Ger s/folder is hands-down the easiest, simplest of S/F stocks anywhere in the known universe. Makes the Galil, FN Para FAL and FNC look like over-engineered junk. Nothing complicated, they simply work. And they bolt right on to ANY stamped AKM - just remove 2 screws and replace the wood and your GTGo.

My para-wrapped Romy S/F before I swapped it on to my blonded-up WASR22..

And you already know about the U/F.

Cheek-weld is a non-issue; do a para-wrap on either type of stock and all is well.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=89&t=108691
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~m70AK3/cheek.htm

And as we all know; EVERYTIME a folding stock is opened or closed on an AKM in the USA - Pelosi's yeast infection itches even more.
    Last edited by nfafan; September 5th, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Cambria County)

I was thinking about putting a side folder or underfolder on one of my AK's. Which one do you guys recommend? Where is the best place to get one?
    Last edited by Mtbkski; September 5th, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: add underfolder
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Wayne County)

I think to add an underfolder, you need a rear trunion designed for one. The rear of the receiver itself is different as well.

(Allegheny County)

it can be done though, just some machining. i have a full profile Ak 100 or AK 74M style poly left folder. much more comfortable than the wire sidefolders or the UF style. also holds a buttstock cleaning kit. this still requires modding the stock and rear trunnion as well as the front part of the receiver for the lock latch

like these
    http://spetsnazarmysurplus.com/onlin...roducts_id=338
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Allegheny County)

The Romy (or East German) lever S/F is a direct swap out from the wood stock, just uses 2 small machine bolts to affix to the butt tang as opposed to the wood screws of a butt.

A simple push of the lever and wrist-rock to the right and it locks folded - and leaves room for the safety and charging handle.

A dirt-simple folder for a dirt-simple battle-rifle meant for use by dirt-simpleton peasant conscripts.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    The Romy (or East German) lever S/F is a direct swap out from the wood stock, just uses 2 small machine bolts to affix to the butt tang as opposed to the wood screws of a butt.

A simple push of the lever and wrist-rock to the right and it locks folded - and leaves room for the safety and charging handle.

A dirt-simple folder for a dirt-simple battle-rifle meant for use by dirt-simpleton peasant conscripts.
    This ^^^

Any other kind of SF would require you to change out your trunnion. Same goes for an UF.

Rommy SF go for about $50.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast