Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Had to pull a gun on somebody while camping

I finally decided to post about this experience now that I'm reasonably sure nothing more is going to come of it.

A couple months ago, right after moving to Sugar Notch I was out camping in the woods behind the town. I was there with my two boys, the wife, my mom, my sister, brother-in-law, and my nephew. Our camping area was overlooking a large field where a lot of people rode four wheelers and dirt bikes. All day and into the night, there were many four wheelers and dirt bikes and groups of people out mudding in the general area. We had our campsite on the edge of the woods surrounded on two sides by forest and the side of a mountain. On the other two sides we parked our cars in front to make an obvious barrier. There was a small hill that led up to our camping area. This was not a camping ground and we were the only ones camping (at least in that general area that we knew of).

At around 1 am when we were all ready to get to bed and the kids had been in bed for hours, we saw about eight sets of headlights line up in a row and start revving their engines all at once. They then started racing toward our camp area. My mother was scared and was yelling to me and my brother-in-law. We came to where our vehicles were at and watched them come toward us. I unlocked my car with my remote which turned on the headlights toward them and started waving my arms at them in an attempt to get them to stop. They kept coming.

They got to the bottom of the hill that our camping area sat on and drove up. I was yelling at them to stop, as was my brother-in-law and mother (My wife and sister had gone back to my house for something). They then drove between our cars. Some of them were yelling, but the sound of all these engines was deafening. A jeep was a bit ahead of the others and heading toward me. I glanced back and to my horror noticed they were also heading directly toward the tent where the three kids were sleeping. I put my left hand against the bumper of the jeep and yelled as loud as I could to stop. He then pushed me with his vehicle.

At this point, I felt I had no other choice and I drew my gun, activated the tac light and pointed it at the driver of the jeep. He immediately stopped and put his hands in the air. The other vehicles all stopped nearly immediately. I told him to leave. He just stood there frozen. I could also tell for the first time that he was obviously drunk. He then turned off his engine and he got out of his car, as did a few other drivers.

Half the vehicles drove off immediately. Good. I yelled at the rest of them to leave. The driver that I drew on immediately started apologizing and saying he only wanted a beer. At this point I lowered my weapon (but did not holster it) now that the immediate threat had subsided... well somewhat. I told him to stay back and he complied. The other drivers in the car started saying basically the same thing that they just wanted a beer. It was a misunderstanding, etc. etc. I told them that we don't want any problems and that they should just go back to where they came from.

They started apologizing again and all started talking at once. They did not crowd me, so I holstered my weapon. All in all, it took about ten minutes of talking to these guys to get them to leave. Most, if not all, of them had been drinking. I chose not to contact the police because I had just drawn my firearm and did not want the hassles that came with that. Otherwise, I certainly would have. We packed up our campsite and left. I didn't want to chance them coming back.

I was also very clear with them before they left that they could have easily gotten shot by doing that. A small argument started when one guy said I was out of line (or something to that effect) for pulling a deadly weapon on his friend. I was quick to let them know that a vehicle is most certainly a deadly weapon.

I honestly don't know how that night would have ended if I did not have my gun with me. What if he hadn't stopped his jeep and ran into my tent? What if their true intentions weren't to just have a beer with us?

Anyhow, I just wanted to share this story with you guys. I really wanted to write about it right after it happened, but figured it was prudent to see if anything came of it first before making it permanent on the internet.
    Last edited by max384; September 3rd, 2010 at 01:39 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Had to pull a gun on somebody while camping

I'd of done same thing. When it comes to the safety of family take no chances, But I would have to think about reporting it as they could do the same thing to people that refuse to be armed (sheeple). And who knows what could have happened. It's a shame they ruined it for your group.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

WOW

Man you did exactly what anyone else here would have done, protecting your family is the #1 job and these idiots, drunk or not could have killed all of you.

I see absolutely NO problem drawing in this circumstance, you had no other choice given their aggressive and reckless behavior.

(Allegheny County)

You kept your cool and did what had to be done. Thanks for sharing... it drives home the point that you just never know when you're going to need your firearm.

(Philadelphia County)

Good on you. Another instance where a firearm deterred, at best, a bunch of assholes, or at the worst, a homicide...and you won't see it in the paper.

(Monroe County)

and people always ask why we need guns out here
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Chester County)

On behalf of the Jeep community, I'd like to throw out an apology. Most of us Jeepers are cool people, but unfortunately, like any other sport/hobby, you have a few bad apples. I have no idea who that may have been, but if I hear of anything on the Jeep message boards I frequent, I'll be sure to pass any info along that you may want or need in the future.

Most of the Jeep clubs I know don't condone that kind of behavior, so I'm sure it was probably someone not affiliated with any club.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see that everything turned out ok, and that your family is safe. I too would have done exactly the same thing if I thought my family was threatened.

(Philadelphia County)

Once again, the mere presence of a firearm prevented a situation that could have turned bad. You won't hear about this on the news. It's amazing how having a gun pointed at you will sober somebody up and have them vomiting apologies. Good work.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

HOLY SHIT!

Good job, man... Rep sent~!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

Wow that's fucked up.

Did you have permission to be camping wherever this occurred?
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast