Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default School me on Tokarovs

Seen a fresh batch of Yugo Tokarovs came in. Thinking about getting one. Not sure of the price yet, but they're usually pretty cheap. Ammo is cheap too.
    Anyone have any feedback on them? Are Yugo's any better or worse than the 57 other countries that make them? Thanks for any advice.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: School me on Tokarovs

SOG has Yugo Toks for $189 plus shipping. Not sure how that compares to the ones you've seen, but it's an FYI:

http://www.southernohiogun.com/yugo-...ev-pistol.html

I have been told that the Yugos are some of the best out there, but the 9-round magazines aren't interchangeable with any other type (they all use 8-round). That means the Yugo grip is a bit longer which some people seem to like.

I have a Polish one and am happy with it. A Russian would be nice but they typically command top dollar. I've even heard good things about the Norincos. Bottom line, I don't think you can really go wrong with any version, but be aware that the Yugos are slightly different.

(Bucks County)

I had a Romanian one. What a piece of crap. I'm sure it was not indicative of all Tokarevs, but it had some issues:
    -Loose grip on one side
    -Inability to rack the slide unless the hammer was already cocked (which was solved by filing a burr in the metal)
    -Point of AIM and Point of Impact were never the same,
    -Light primer strikes with bulgarian surplus which I later learned is unreliable at best and downright dangerous at worst.

Some of these problems could be easily solved while others could not. I got rid of the pistol and haven't missed it. I bought it on the novelty that the bullet could go through kevlar. I'm still sitting on 2k rounds that I have no weapon for.

My recommendation is to try one before you buy one.

-Zach

(Butler County)

If they're less than 200 I'll probably get one. Hope to be able to pick through a pile and get the nicest one. If there is such a thing as a nice one. Just for a spare. Something that I won't worry about getting a scratch on.
    http://www.dansammo.com/ click on the wed. 25 thingy

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    http://www.dansammo.com/ click on the wed. 25 thingy
    I just had to mop up drool. Have you dealt with Dan's? Can you go in and pick out your own stuff?

(Philadelphia County)

It will help your research on the subject better if you spelled the word correctly: Tokarevs.

Al

(Montgomery County)

Basically built on the old Browning system (an improved 1911) with definite improvements in the trigger/hammer group which can be removed as one unit. Have another advantage in that feed lips are machined into the frame, thus the "pickiness" of 1911 mags is not a problem.

Served the USSR and the Russian armies and satellites plus China from 1933 until quite recently. Effectively bullet proof for a car or pack gun and a lot of German infantry can attest to the efficacy of the 7.62 x 25 mm cartridge if you have a ouiji (sp) board handy!!

The cartridge was based on the Mauser cartridge for the C96 "Broomhandle" with a little bit more power, but do not fire the Russian or other Warsaw pact or Chinese cartridges in the C96 unless you want a lot of pieces to put back together as some of the surplus rounds will clock at over 1600 fps.

The CZ52 pistol (not the rifle) with a roller locking system similar to the G3 H&K rifle are made for the same round.

I have CZ52s, a Norinco Tokarev and a C96 so am rather careful which round is fed to which pistol. Dave_n

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    I just had to mop up drool. Have you dealt with Dan's? Can you go in and pick out your own stuff?
    I dealt with Dan before at the Monroeville gun show about a year ago. I got a Polish Tokarev then. He seems knowledgeable and pleasure to deal with and got pretty decent prices. There was a small problem with the pistol, that i saw after i brought it home. I came back the next day and exchanged it without a hassle.
    I know you can pick your own stuff at the show. He had a crate of Mosin's there that you could pick from...all matching. But i dont know if you can at his warehouse ... never been there.
    DODGE the father RAM the daughter

We bleed black & gold

(Monroe County)

Its a nice gun to add to your Eastern European collection, that and a Russian Makarov.

Nymanm

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by iomedic View Post
    I dealt with Dan before at the Monroeville gun show about a year ago. I got a Polish Tokarev then. He seems knowledgeable and pleasure to deal with and got pretty decent prices. There was a small problem with the pistol, that i saw after i brought it home. I came back the next day and exchanged it without a hassle.
    I know you can pick your own stuff at the show. He had a crate of Mosin's there that you could pick from...all matching. But i dont know if you can at his warehouse ... never been there.
    I've seen him at shows with bunches of stuff to pick through. If you can catch him at his warehouse it's even better. Pallets of ammo and crates and crates of guns. Nice guy, good to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast