Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Recycling bottles for cash

I don't live too far from Delaware which offers a 5 cent cash price per bottle turned into the recylcing plant. I hear that they also can do it by weight, and may prefer to if counting is not feasible. I know a bunch of people who drink beer, a lot. And it occured to me that I could just drive the half hour and turn this junk in for some cash. Should I bother though? Anyone else done this? Who specifically takes the bottles anyhow?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Recycling bottles for cash

personally, i dont think it is worth it. example, for the trouble of holding 100 bottles, transporting them and getting only $5 in return does not even seem worth the gas money it would cost to drive the 30 minutes. Unless you can get thousands and thousands of bottles there in one trip, I don't see any point.

(Philadelphia County)

Doesn't make any sense

A) you're going to have to bring about 200 cans just to pay for the gas you used getting there and back

B) If you bring another 200 cans, you'll break even for the hour and a half you spend doing it with someone working at burger king.

I donno guys, mainly if you do it by weight. I seen people pay for their trucks picking up cans/bottles and card board boxes In Quebec, there the cans are $.05 and the bottles are $.10 Seeing they cost you nothing to collect, its a win win situation if you are close to a recycler.

I often see trucks full of metal including cans around here. Aluminuim is at a premium price now, dont bring cans, bring aluminium. Just crush the cans, you can liteally fit a fortune if it in no space flat.

An other thing ppl seem to forget is all the brass they leave at the range, it also is worth $$$ if you know where to bring it.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

An other thing ppl seem to forget is all the brass they leave at the range, it also is worth $$$ if you know where to bring it.
    Yes, I already got in on this.

Well, i think in DE it is a law to pay half for aluminum cans for some reason...i read this somewhere. That would be the most effective way since you can crush them and they are lighter than glass.

Whats 1000 rounds of say....9mm brass go for typically?

Jh, I have a beach house in DE and I collect bottles from people I know to take along down to turn in for $$$$$$$$$. Right now I think I have about 10 cases in my garage. Yeah I know, that is 12.00 but the boy scout troop likes the cash!

(Delaware County)

I have to find a scrap metal place. I have zero problems scrounging for brass.

<but>

At work, they're going to start a recycling program, I've already laid claim to the aluminum cans that will be tossed in seperate trashcan. Figure about a 500 person office.

I'd have to collect cans on a daily basis. I don't even know if I'll be able to keep up with just a shortbed F-250 with a toolbox in the bed already.

But I bet I could get 2,000 cans a week.

I just don't know when they're going to start the program.

(Chester County)

Here is a technical question. Some time ago, pennies were actually 100% copper. Now they are made of alloy. So, would recycling old copper pennies be more lucrative than taking the pennies to a bank for cash? Legal?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    Here is a technical question. Some time ago, pennies were actually 100% copper. Now they are made of alloy. So, would recycling old copper pennies be more lucrative than taking the pennies to a bank for cash? Legal?
    Definitely not legal, don't even think about it.
    The cost to melt them to make them unrecognizable would more than offset any perceived profit.
    FWIW, 1982 was the year of transition. Pennies made before 1982 were about 95% copper, pennies made from 1983 to present are about 97% zinc with a copper coating. 1982 pennies could be either, the only way I know to tell the difference is the sound they make when dropped on a hard surface, or the weight. Zinc pennies are about 7? grains lighter than copper pennies. (39 grains vs 46 grains).
    Even if it was legal, it wouldn't be worth my time to sort them out.

(Chester County)

hmm. good to know.

one of the things i have noticed is how much copper is in old electronics. and since technology is moving so fast there is plenty of it laying around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast