Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default YES, LTCF allows carry of semi-auto handguns, for self defense, while hunting in PA.

This question gets asked about every other week, so I figure it deserves it's own sticky thread.....

Since 2007 you are permitted to carry a handgun (semi or revolver) that would otherwise not belegal to take game with during that season provided:
    a) you have an LTCF
    ~and~
    b) the sidearm is only carried and used for self defense.

From 2007 PGC Digest:
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/p...07/updates.pdf

A LTCF authorizes only "firearms" as defined by SS6102 of the UFA.

I quote the definition below. Essentially it includes handguns, short barreled rifles short barreled shotguns and some AOW's

REF: http://paopencarry.org/law/ufa.html#6102

10/5/2010 EDIT:
    Here is the actual code, as currently hosted on the PGC we site:

Sec. 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.
    (a) General rule.—It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.
    (b) Construction.
    ....(1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.
    ....(2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.
    (c) Definitions.—As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).
    "Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; October 5th, 2010 at 04:36 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Monroe County)

Default Re: YES, LTCF allows carry of semi-auto handguns, for self defense, while hunting in

Thanks for making this a sticky. Now I can send the non-believers to check this out whenever they tell me "IT'S ILLEGAL!!!!!!".
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Default Re: YES, LTCF allows carry of semi-auto handguns, for self defense, while hunting in

I had to point it out to a WCO. Good thing that book was wadded up in the bottom of my backpack.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I had to point it out to a WCO. Good thing that book was wadded up in the bottom of my backpack.
    Its a shame that a WCO doesn't know a law that he/she was trying to enforce!

(Monroe County)

IS open carry legal (other then state parks of course)?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Yes.........
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    The statute only says "possession". So OC/CC/in vehicle, etc should all be legal by my interpretation.

Sec. 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.
    (a) General rule.—It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.
    (b) Construction.
    (1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.
    (2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.
    (c) Definitions.—As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).
    "Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bedford County)

I wish I would have read this before I got talked into selling my beretta. I was always told it was illegal and I held onto that gun for years because they don't make it anymore but finally decided to sell and look for a revolver to carry.

(Northumberland County)

Pa Patriot,
    Thank you for the information, were my son and I go hunting buck and doe there are bear and coyoetes. Yes we have .30-06, 30-30, or .300 win mag. to choose from but if your field dressing and the rifle is leaning against a tree over there.....
    Rep point coming your way.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by slaptrigger View Post
    Its a shame that a WCO doesn't know a law that he/she was trying to enforce!
    Might have been a deputy.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast