Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Discovery Channel hold up NEWS thread - disappeared

I posted about the Discovery Channel hold-up in the News section yesterday - and can now find the thread via forum search, but can not get access to the thread. Navigating to the News section does not show it.

I'm confused. I don't think a mod/admin made a change since I did not get a PM about any action.

Any insight?

http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/1103...dquarters.html
    Last edited by falcn; September 2nd, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Discovery Channel hold up NEWS thread - disappeared

It was moved to the lounge.. so the cached link is probably taking you to the old origin, instead of to the updated location.
    III%

(Allegheny County)

The lounge again? I have to ask - why are NEWS items being posted in the lounge and not moved into the proper location?

Lounge does not show up in searches so it is for useless non-firearms related issues, not firearms related news.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Schuylkill County)

(I posted this in the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Because it's not really "firearm related"... It's just some wacko that lost his cookies... The fact that he he was using a firearm is irrelevant to the plot.
    III%

(Allegheny County)

I disagree - a firearm was involved. It's news.... ah well.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Montgomery County)

nobody bothers actually reading the news forums guidelines, which is part of the problem here

the first thing is the news section says, right in the title of the forum is this:
    NEWS
    "The firearm-related news important and relevant to Pennsylvania Firearm Owners. Read the Guidelines and then submit your news!"

if that person then bothers to click on the guidleines link, the first thing you see is this:

DO NOT SUBMIT DUPLICATES!

If you've read about it and think it's important, chances are a dozen other people did too. There's also probably a good chance that they already submitted the article. Check first so we don't have duplicates all over the place. The bigger the story, the more you should check.

(please note that the article was posted in the lounge some 3 hours previously to yours)

News must be firearm-related

While we know that there are many things going on in the world, there are many other great sources of general news. The focus of PAFOA is firearms and as such the focus of our news is the same. Please note, however that we also don't want the news forum to become a police blotter of every gunshot that is fired. Everything else belongs in The Lounge.

your thread was a duplicate, and not relevant to PA Firearm owners in general.
    We also do not notify when a thread is moved or deleted, we just dotn have the time.
    Sorry.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Allegheny County)

Another part of the problem is that you can't search and get hits on lounge threads.

I DID read the rules of the news section, and DID a search to check for a duplicate on the whole forum that is scanned by the search engine - nothing came up.

This was pretty big news...other hold-ups/shootings have been posted in the News section in the past. I didn't see this one as being any different than those news stories being posted. I'm not really clear on why this one is different than those. Should those others have been in the lounge too?

Just looking for some clarification.

I guess firearm self-defense related issues at least should go in news?

EDIT TO ADD:

Anyone know if there is a way to get Google to search the Lounge here by using something like a SITE: specifier?
    Last edited by falcn; September 2nd, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Montgomery County)

dunno what to tell you, when i use the http://forum.pafoa.org/search.php and specify posts, i found the lounge thread right away, using the term "discovery"

its not just the search, its also the term you use.

yes, other things have been posted incorrectly, in EVERY forum here, not just news, when *I* happen to spot them, I move them, but, we dont read EVERY post here.

a hostage situation in California isn't relevant to PA gunowners, a hostage situation in a school in PA IS relevant...
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    dunno what to tell you, when i use the http://forum.pafoa.org/search.php and specify posts, i found the lounge thread right away, using the term "discovery"

its not just the search, its also the term you use.

yes, other things have been posted incorrectly, in EVERY forum here, not just news, when *I* happen to spot them, I move them, but, we dont read EVERY post here.

a hostage situation in California isn't relevant to PA gunowners, a hostage situation in a school in PA IS relevant...
    This may be the dumbest question ever... but how did you get to that detailed search page?
    III%

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    This may be the dumbest question ever... but how did you get to that detailed search page?
    Not sure there is a way... You might have to type in the address manually. Or you could paste this in your signature for a quicker way to access that page:

Code:
    Remove spaces in the code:
    [ URL=" http://forum.pafoa.org/search.php " ]♠[ /URL ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast