Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Why would one file the tip of a bullet?

In the commercial for the movie The American, actor Clooney is seen filing the tip of a rifle round, just the bullet tip.

Is there any reason this makes sense?

To turn a FMJ into an old fashioned dum dum round? But he's changing the weight of the bullet...

(Washington County)

Default Re: Why would one file the tip of a bullet?

Because it is a movie? Dum dum rounds were just rounds made at the Indian Dumdum aresenal, 303 British IIRC.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot32.htm

(Luzerne County)

Was he filing it to make it a 'sharper' point? If so, that may make it able to more easily penetrate. Penetration is affected by three things mainly: velocity, bullet composition, and bullet shape. A more pointed projectile will better penetrate than one that is less pointed, everything else being equal...

That being said, I'd imagine the director thought it would look cool and that's why it's in the movie.

EDIT: Oh, I thought you meant he was filing the tip to make it sharper. If he's making it flat, then yeah, I guess the dum dum round would be a good theory.
    Last edited by max384; September 2nd, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Monroe County)

in la la land (hollywood) dum dums are explosive rounds. what would make you think filing a bullet would make it explode?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post

EDIT: Oh, I thought you meant he was filing the tip to make it sharper. If he's making it flat, then yeah, I guess the dum dum round would be a good theory.

I caught the commercial with my DVR, I went through it in slow motion. He's threading something with a die in the previous scene, and then he's seen filing the jacketed rifle round. I can only see the shoulder of the brass on up. He is definitely filing the bullet tip flat.

Ridiculous Guess #3 - flat bullets, like hollow points, also create a high pressure zone of air at the front which creates a smoother flight path.

(Montgomery County)

This is hollywood mumbo jumbo. Why does hollywood often hold pistols sideways, keep fingers on triggers, pistol bullets send people flying, shooting gas tanks makes cars explode and the various other things not allowed by physics.

In short, if you are filing your rifle bullets you are an imbecile. Buy the right ammo for the job. No amount of "bubba-ing" up your load will help you in any way. What is next, dipping projectiles in feces to make them more likely to cause an E. coli infection... please.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    In short, if you are filing your rifle bullets you are an imbecile. Buy the right ammo for the job. No amount of "bubba-ing" up your load will help you in any way. What is next, dipping projectiles in feces to make them more likely to cause an E. coli infection... please.
    ROTFLMAO................ I think I just pissed my pants........
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    This is hollywood mumbo jumbo. Why does hollywood often hold pistols sideways, keep fingers on triggers, pistol bullets send people flying, shooting gas tanks makes cars explode and the various other things not allowed by physics.

Pig blood might work for some conflicts...........

(Pike County)

I'm sure the Hollyweirdos don't know this, but long range competitors have been know to trim and repoint meplats. Not with a file, of course ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mootness View Post
    I caught the commercial with my DVR, I went through it in slow motion. He's threading something with a die in the previous scene, and then he's seen filing the jacketed rifle round. I can only see the shoulder of the brass on up. He is definitely filing the bullet tip flat.

Ridiculous Guess #3 - flat bullets, like hollow points, also create a high pressure zone of air at the front which creates a smoother flight path.

I Am Really Surprised At You Guys! Everybody knows the reason you file a cross on the tip of your bullet is to make sure the Zombies, Werewolfs and Vampires die. Of course with the last 2 a silver bullet is needed.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast