Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why would one file the tip of a bullet?

Because they watch too many movies and don't read enough books on firearms and ammunition?
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Allegheny County)

Well, there is a process used by precision rifle shooters to "true" the tip of their bullets so that they are all exactly the same. Has to do with making sure the ballistic coefficient of the heads are equalized.

This could be what they are trying to depict in the film.

Info on the Ballistic Meplat Uniformer: http://www.jarheadtop.com/BMU_Details.htm

Last edited by Hawk; September 2nd, 2010 at 12:26 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Northampton County)

I doubt it has anything to do with Clooney's character, but it used to be a fairly common practice to file or cut off the tips of FMJ military bullets to use for hunting. Military ball ammo was cheaper than commercial soft points.
    There are two problems with this practice:
    1. As already mentioned, the bullet's weight is changed, plus it's nearly impossible to cut them consistantly enough to have the final weights match and not off-balance (apparently, the old timers weren't all that concerned about match accuracy...all they wanted was to shoot a deer).
    2. Possibly a more serious problem was that occasionally a bullet would leave its jacket in the bore of the rifle (the core would continue to the target). If a quick follow-up shot was attempted, that old Springfield, Krag or Mauser ended up with a bulged barrel at best. This tended to negate the savings realized by using old military rifles and surplus ammo for hunting.

(Pike County)

I file mine under b for bullets

(Monroe County)

If it was Chuck Norris he would of rubbed the tips on his beard stubble to shape them to the most lethel point possble.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

Because Tom Berringer did it in Sniper to "remove the burrs"

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post
    Because Tom Berringer did it in Sniper to "remove the burrs"
    This is sometimes done, believe it or not. I've found burrs or high spots on polymer tipped bullets that I just felt better if they were touched up. I think it's funny that most people think that doctoring up the tip of the bullet "can't help you". There's a few people in the thread that do though, as they've mentioned meplat trimming and repointing. I haven't seen the clip that the OP is talking about, so I don't know if that's what George Clooney is doing or not. Either way, there's definitely burrs on match grade hollow points.

Here's a photo of a SMK that has been repointed and one of the ones from the factory. It's pretty obvious that one side is higher than the other, and that some people would call that a "burr".

And yet another photo of a factory vs trimmed meplat bullet

It's an artifact that occurs from the dies that they make the bullets with. It happens even in very expensive match grade hollow points, much less the average factory bullets. My Berger VLD's show more variance in their meplat than lots of people would believe. While it doesn't really have on effect for most shooters or at shorter ranges, it DOES have an effect at longer ranges. So lots of LR and BR guys will either "repoint" or "trim" them. If you repoint them, they have an even better BC than from the factory, because they hollowpoint nose cavity is slightly smaller, so it has less drag, but more importantly, they're uniform and consistent. The other approach is to trim them, which will enlarge the opening. This will slightly lower the BC of the bullet, BUT they will be consistent from bullet to bullet. The very slight amount of extra drop (we're not talking much at all, even at longer ranges) is easy to compensate for, as long as the bullets are consistent. Consistency is key to long range shooting. Both approaches do work, just depends on which one a person wants to use.

Again, I don't know if this is what George Clooney was doing in the clip, but there is such a thing as "burrs" on bullets. I don't know anybody that does it with a knife or file though, that's what they make dies and trimmers for.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    In short, if you are filing your rifle bullets you are an imbecile. Buy the right ammo for the job. No amount of "bubba-ing" up your load will help you in any way. What is next, dipping projectiles in feces to make them more likely to cause an E. coli infection... please.
    ROTFLMAO................ I think I just pissed my pants........
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Allegheny County)

That's an interesting post, Tomcat. I didn't think about the BC changing with variations in the HP. I assumed people thought a deformed tip would cause the bullet to steer to a side, which it obviously doesn't thank to spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    This is hollywood mumbo jumbo. Why does hollywood often hold pistols sideways, keep fingers on triggers, pistol bullets send people flying, shooting gas tanks makes cars explode and the various other things not allowed by physics.

In short, if you are filing your rifle bullets you are an imbecile. Buy the right ammo for the job. No amount of "bubba-ing" up your load will help you in any way. What is next, dipping projectiles in feces to make them more likely to cause an E. coli infection... please.
    Pig blood might work for some conflicts...........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast