Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Shotguns and deer hunting

I'm considering using my mossberg 500 and getting some slugs to take deer this season. Right now it's just the 18.5" smooth bore with standard bead sight. I was using the remington 2 and 3/4" 1 ounce slugs you can pick up from walmart in the value pack. 15 slugs for 9 and change isn't too bad.

I was out at the range today and didn't have a problem hitting COM on a man sized target at 50 yards. That's not saying much but I have 3 months before rifle season starts. I'll have to consider picking up a 24" rifled barrel and start testing various brands and types of slugs.

Anyone use a shotgun to take deer? Do you think it's possible to hunt with just the smooth bore barrel or would picking up the rifled barrel be completely necessary? Do you think a shotgun scope is necessary for under 100 yards, or would you advise some type of sight that is superior to the standard bead? What type of slug do you find works the best? (A little info on the terrain I'll be hunting in, a 100 yard shot would probably be a rarity as I'll be in the woods out here. There are some fields, but I won't try for a shot unless I'm positive it would be a clean kill/safe beyond the target).
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Shotguns and deer hunting

I have a slug barrel for my Mossberg. It has rifle sights but is smoothbored. It likes the basic (non-sabot) Winchester slug and will group well enough that I am comfortable shooting to 100 yds. I also put a 4X scope on it for deer hunting.

There have been a ton of deer killed with a set-up similar to yours. I think someone makes a sight arrangement that clamps on the rib (if you have one). That might improve your accuracy.

Just remember to use Foster or Brenneke style slugs with a smooth bore and saboted ones with a rifled barrel.

Dale

jcabin,
    I have been hunting with a shotgun for deer quite a long time. First in Allegheny County and now in NY state. I say at a minimum get a rifled bbl so you can at least have open sights. Jump up to a rifled bbl and a scope and you have yourself a 150 yard plus deer slaying machine. I use Remington copper solids and get some really great groups with them at 100 yards. They aren't cheap though. I am debating switching to Hornady this season. My buddy finds them to shoot a bit flatter. I am sure some of the other special reg area guys will chime in, but those are my two cents. The smoothy will be fine, but the rifled will be better and so on....
    Happy hunting,
    Jules

(Monroe County)

yeah it'll work but if you shoot a deer in the shoulders you aren't recovering much meet from there :P
    Last edited by Dredly; September 1st, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Rifled slugs from a smooth bore should work just fine. If you find you can stay on target with open sights and a smooth bore barrel, then there's no need to spend money for a rifled barrel. Rifled slugs are pretty cheap compared to most sabots. I've taken deer with smooth bore before I had a rifled barrel.

If you do go with a rifled barrel, I was told Remington Buckhammers are reasonably priced sabots with impressive entry and exit wounds. Rifled barrels are real nice, but not a necessity. They work better at long distances and tend to be very accurate. I'm currently using Hornady SST's in mine.

A scope isn't necessary, but would make life easier. If you do get a rifled barrel, consider getting a cantilever barrel. The scope stays with the barrel instead of mounting on the receiver so you could switch barrels and not have a scope in the way when you don't need it. Receiver mounted scope is great if you have a dedicated hunting gun that you don't plan on also using for HD, shooting clay birds, etc.

The more precision you want in your placement of your shot then the more you will need a rifled barrel and a scope. It all depends on what you want your gun to do and how far you want to be able to shot it accurately. I have an Ithaca Deerslayer III with a fully rifled bull barrel accurate with the right slugs to 200 yards.

Last edited by Paparock; September 2nd, 2010 at 01:14 AM.

(Bucks County)

I have a Remington 870 express combo I bought from Cabelas has smooth bore and rifled barrels . It likes Winchester partition gold sabot slugs .

(Allegheny County)

This is a 100 yd target using Lightfield sabots (left) and Rem all copper sabots (right).

I use copper sabots out of a 20" rifled bbl Ithaca Deerslayer.
    I have to replace the Simmons 3 X 9 this year after about 15 years. I like the 3X9 to verify the 4 points required in my area.

I have never shot beyond 100 yds at any deer so sight in is at that range. I should see what my distance limit is but usually hunt thick cover.

The rifled barrel is not necessary but what Paparock said.