Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: ALLEGHENY COUNTY-SHERIFF BILL MULLEN

Quote Originally Posted by pghplr View Post
    I welcome the thought that some freak can't just walk in and carry.
    LTCF requirements do not stop the people you need to be worried about from carrying.

they just carry without a license.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    LTCF requirements do not stop the people you need to be worried about from carrying.

they just carry without a license.
    Roger that. The system doesn't work, but what Mullen has done is taken a system that doesn't work and made it work even less...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    Roger that. The system doesn't work, but what Mullen has done is taken a system that doesn't work and made it work even less...

But... but... what about this?
    ...the Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office has already issued 9,248 firearm permits this year, compared to 7,804 in all of 2006, and 8,743 in 2005...
    (If my eyes could roll back any further, I'd be seeing the pea that's in my skull.)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

He seems to tout those numbers. But they obviously show a decline of almost 1,000 permits issued in 2k6 from 2k5. This could be indicative of the problem at hand which is impediment to the process.

If he's really concerned about the OT of the staff, he could always redirect funds where they're needed. OR, he could replace the imbecile's in the Sheriff's office with employee's that are knowledgeable and efficient in their duties instead of the numbskulls working the office now. It doesn't get more unprofessional than those cats in there. What's truly scary is the one lady actually carries a gun, wears a uniform but acts like a 14 year old girl and has a legal understanding of firearms to match...
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

I wondered about Mr. Kress, as many of you do. I spoke with him on the phone today and in the interest of distributing information so others can make their own informed decisions I posted it here. Keep in mind he is easy to contact, and if you have questions or concerns that I didn't bring up you could contact him yourself. He went through alot of effort to get back with me, even though our schedules made that difficult. As someone challenging an incumbent he seems very interested in getting his view out and talking to voters.

Jared McLaughlin

(Allegheny County)

Just as a responsive to the whole closing saturdays to save money thing.
    I manage a store, and I schedule employees to work as needed based on customer demand. During the times we are demonstably less busy I have less workers so that I may schedule more during the busy times, like moring coffee rush. If the demand from the customer/taxpayer/owner is for saturday hours, as it obviosly is, then you close on the least busy of the weekdays so as to be open on saturday. Or, if there is very little demand early morning a few days a week you can have a later open time and a short saturday, or two half days and still be open 6 days.

it has less to do with overtime, and more to do with having to give them benefits and treat them like human beings IMO... they work 7.5hrs a day, 5days a week, AKA just about the most you can work, and not be entitled to benefits. Hell raise the fee to $35 or $40, but ONLY if the extra money gets put back into that office, there are many places across the state that pay those amounts.

With the amount of permits they issue in this county that office should be the nicest in the state, but i'd be willing to bet its the worst. and does it concern anyone else these people run the sheriffs dept, but can't manage a simple office?

(Allegheny County)

I would like to respond to some of the stuff I have been reading! I am new to this site and find some info good and helpful and other info rude and funny at the same time. I would like to address some of the stuff I have read about Ed Kress for Sheriffs office vs. Bill Mullen for sheiffs office. For one thing I am all for getting your permit a lot faster and possible on a Saturday! Hard working people who deserve a permit should not have to take a vaction day or take a day off from work to apply. Mr. Kress has stated that he wants to open the Sheriffs office on Saturdays for this reason. Great bonous for that canidate. Who really cares if he carries any kind of weapon or not. Don't really recall a time when the Sheriff had to pull his weapon on anyone, unless you go back to tv shows and the real old west. Mr. Kress has not said anything negative about guns. Great for Mr. Mullen for having such a great career in law enforcement. His family is probly very proud of all his accomplishments he has made in his 30 some years at his job he chose to pursue. I don't recall him choosing the office of County Sheriff though. Being a pointed and wanting the job, to me seem like two different things. I would of done the same thing he did. I got offered the job, I would of took it just like he did. But I really don't see him fighting too hard to keep his current position. If you really love the job and have ideas for the future that will change things for every one in the county, wouldn't you fight to keep the position. I know I would. As for all the shoot outs and fights etc. that people are writing about, I don't agree with how proud someone should be about that. I come from a very long line of family and friends in law enforcement from patrol men, chiefs to FBI agents. They take extreme pride in stating that they had never had to pull a weapon on someone, or totaly avoided fights etc. They credit that to years of training self control in I guess you can say sticky situations. I would like to know the education that Mr. Mullen has? I looked on his web site and found nothing to help me on this. Years ago in order to be a police officer all you had to have was a High school diploma. I would like to say about 20 or so years ago that law was changed to you have to have a college degree in countless law enforcemnt. And a min. of 4 years of college. Then you must pass tests etc. to even get hired now. Mr. Kress has years of college under his belt not just in general studies but one of the most important things LAW. I worked at a law firm for years I know you can specialize in certain parts of law to practise. But you have to study every parts of state and federal laws.
    I believe we have a very big problem in Allegheny county on the fact that too many young people are moving out of here to other states and even other counties. We need young people with fresh and new(updated) ideas for this county to turn this major problem around, and speaking personaly to Mr. Kress have found that this is what he wants to do. He will sit down and talk to you about your ideas and concerns. Give you the idea or tell you let us work on this problem. I am a member of a Volunter fire department. Mr. Kress has tried countless times all around this county to get us grants, and get the rad board to give money to our county EMS services in stead of giving money to the theatre (which you must buy tickets to see, so they do make profit). How about the unions with the illegals working in our county. Yes Mr. Mullen has stated that he did talk to the unions and told them to call if there is a problem. My husband is a union worker he and I do see the problems. We are not talking about the illegals getting into the union because as of right now you must be a US citizen. We see it everyday that they are out there taking the jobs away from the union not just a worker. Yes the union can call but what is Mr. Mullen really going to do about it. have yet to hear. And how about the Veterans and elderly losing there homes. I know Mr. Kress has ideas for that. What has Mr. Mullen said about this issue? The County Sheriffs office is just not a job. It is for someone willing to work hard and make the new changes that are needed for this age. And I see that Mr. Kress is the right person for the job. People really don't understand that sheriff is not j ustabout law enforment. The list of things this county office can do is endless. And I know that Mr. Kress is the right person to sit in the sheriffs office. One more thing to everyone that is saying and bashing him about living with his mom, well my opion of that is that everyone of you has a mom, living or deceased. Personaly someone who is willing and able to take care of his loved one who is very ill and not depend on someone or some nursing home to do this job is an awsome man for doing that. You who bash him on this should be ashamed of yourselfs for even bringing this up. Ask yourself this, would you turn your back on your loved one. Your Mom or Dad?? See Mr. Kress turns his back on no one. And he will never turn his back on this county!! Before you vote this Tuesday take some time and think, I know Mr. Kress is the best man for the job.
    Sorry so long guess had a lot to say.

(Allegheny County)

I guess we as a forum should be very flattered that the 2 candidates for county sheriff have put such effort into making campaign stops at the PAFOA forum. I really think after seeing info online on both campaign web sites, I plan on voting for Kress, nothing pisses me off about politicians like them being hypocrites. I can carry a gun, but I will dedicate myself to doing all that I can to make sure it is harder for you to do so. Go work at McDonalds Bill.

(Allegheny County)

Flattery is one way to look at it, the other is that they are scared of losing ground (and the election) but unlike most races they get to watch it happen in real-time over the internet. With the user base here we have power to swing a small local election, and firearms owners are a loyal and proud bunch.

It makes me honored to live in such a time...

~Brian
    Last edited by Atomic Dog; November 3rd, 2007 at 03:02 PM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast