Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: ALLEGHENY COUNTY-SHERIFF BILL MULLEN

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    What would happen if instead of just giving a statement that"we are going to explore opening the firearms unit for 2008" conveniently during election time, he was actually asked why in the hell he shut it down in the first place?
    In all fairness Justin -- he did answer that question. He said he closed the office on Saturdays in an attempt to get the overtime hours under control.

Just another gun-toting liberal

"According to the General Social Science Survey, about 30% of people who describe themselves as Liberal own a handgun. That works out to about 8 million gun toting Liberals, and doesn't even include moderates or long-gun owning Liberals."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    although I'm sure that dan, doug, or the mods would never just give out an IP, they are logged for every post you make from the location its made from.
    And make no mistake, it's trivial to track down where you are posting from. You are NOT anonymous on the internet.

Just another gun-toting liberal

"According to the General Social Science Survey, about 30% of people who describe themselves as Liberal own a handgun. That works out to about 8 million gun toting Liberals, and doesn't even include moderates or long-gun owning Liberals."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Favabean View Post
    In all fairness Justin -- he did answer that question. He said he closed the office on Saturdays in an attempt to get the overtime hours under control.
    Yes he did say that. I am not saying weather I do or don't believe it's true. I was only using that as an example of how he seems to want to say whatever he thinks will appease us at election time, but the rest of the year our rights don't mean squat. You can apply what I've said to anything else Mullen has said...for instance-being an AWB supporter and a 2A supporter at the same
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

Harford County (Orig Harrisburg, PA), Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by pghplr View Post
    My vote for Kress is more a vote against Mullen. I don't have much info on Kress but know enough about Mullen that it can't be worse. However, I hope its not that easy to request the location of someones IP address. I'm sure there are alot of people(not me) who may access this site from their place of employment.
    Also, I noticed alot of Ed Kress signs in peoples yards around the West End sections of Pittsburgh. I normally don't notice those things but I guess this thread made me more aware. I didn't see any Mullen signs. And I was looking too.
    If you're using the employers' network to access the site, they already know you're visiting regardless of whether your IP is posted. If they want to know bad enough your employer can find anything you do on their network.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    If you're using the employers' network to access the site, they already know you're visiting regardless of whether your IP is posted. If they want to know bad enough your employer can find anything you do on their network.
    Actually, I understand how it works. I was more or less making a point(Though not very good) that having the mods tell other posters the identity of the OP isn't a good thing. Though I found Chaz to be an asshat, it's because I disagree with his position. Unless he threatened to use one of Mullens' still smokin guns to shoot me, then sure, I'd want to know. But I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll conclude with

Ed Kress for Sheriff

(Cambria County)

http://www.mullenforsheriff.com/firearms.htm

To: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Members

Allow me to respond to Alert Allegheny Residents firearm permit holders, regarding my position on permits to carry firearms in Allegheny County.

First and foremost, let me be absolutely clear that I fully support the Second Amendment and the rights of all law-abiding citizens to carry a firearm. The Sheriff’s Office has the responsibility, however, of ensuring that individuals receiving a license to carry a concealed firearm are not a threat to our citizens or the communities where they live and work.

Recently, our office, while checking firearm applicants for criminal records, identified an individual applying for a permit who was on the FBI terrorist watch list and who had made false statements on the application.

In these threatening times, it has become necessary for Sheriff Offices to conduct checks on firearm permit applicants utilizing the computer technology now available to law enforcement, so that individuals like the one I have just described do not receive a firearms permit. To do less would be irresponsible.

Regrettably, It is true that the firearms unit of the Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office is no longer operating on Saturdays. Unfortunately, in these difficult fiscal times, our office must operate under an extremely tight budget, and we no longer are able to pay the overtime associated for providing this service. The office is, however, exploring the prospect of operating the firearms unit on some evenings or Saturdays each month in 2008 to accommodate those who are not able to make application during normal business hours.

The Sheriff’s Office also plans to make applications available online to save firearm permit holders time, and make the service more convenient. It should also be noted that although state law allows for permits to take up to 45 days to be issued, on average our office regularly issues permits within a two-week period.

It is interesting that my critics do not make known the fact that the Allegheny County Sheriff’s Office has already issued 9,248 firearm permits this year, compared to 7,804 in all of 2006, and 8,743 in 2005; and rest assured the office will continue to draw on technology to enable us to streamline the process and at the same time make it more effective.

I invite and encourage your comments on this, or any other issue, of importance to your membership. Please contact me at mullenforsheriff@hotmail.com or at 412-563-2980.

BILL MULLEN, SHERIFF

County of Allegheny

Last updated: October 27, 2007

(Allegheny County)

That looks familiar.........

Didn't we call B.S. on this a few days ago?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    That looks familiar.........
    Didn't we call B.S. on this a few days ago?
    Actually, something I didn't know before tonight was, that letter is written specificaly for PAFOA on Mullens campaign site.
    www.mullenforsheriff.com

click on the firearms bullet.

To bad we don't have an official PAFOA response to Mr Mullen

I must say i give him credit for responding to this forums reaction towards him. It is also somewhat apparent either him, or someone that has close ties with him is reading, and or posting on this site, which I think is great. It would be very nice to have a politician who realizes us gun folk could change the way the election goes, especially one here in Allegheny county, the number of permits issued shows you that. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a response from him on a list of questions if we came up with one. One on my mind is what are his feelings on signing off on NFA/ Class III devices for lawful citizens who pass all federal requirements.

Also, many of us are not against background checks, but as we all know they are done in just a few minutes thanks to the technology of that system. Yet we still wait 3weeks(on average) for our LTCF to be put threw, you've got to remember not everyone lives 10minutes from the courthouse, there are many parts of the county that are 40minutes plus from downtown, and a return trip is ridiculous IMO.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    Also, many of us are not against background checks, but as we all know they are done in just a few minutes thanks to the technology of that system. Yet we still wait 3weeks(on average) for our LTCF to be put threw, you've got to remember not everyone lives 10minutes from the courthouse, there are many parts of the county that are 40minutes plus from downtown, and a return trip is ridiculous IMO.
    I agree. Background checks are a good thing. I welcome the thought that some freak can't just walk in and carry. The reality is simple, the system in place works. Those applying for, and being granted an LTCF are not the problem. If the data showed that alot of people slip through the cracks then there would be reason, even an obligation, for the sheriff to "try" to combat that problem. But the problem is, theres no problem. Has there been less crimes commited by LTCF permit holders since the long wait??? Or is it the same as the 5 minutes it took before? And still does only take 5 minutes in many counties. The office is basically doubling the duties (going back twice) for the same results. At what point does the Sheriff decide it's a waste of time & money for everyone?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast