Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Need some help on Bullet Crimp 500 S&W

So I'm making some rounds for the beast. Right in the instruction manual for the gun it cautions about bullet crimp. Says the bullets will vibrate right out of the casing if there's not enough crimp. Well they do so far. I'm loading a 350grn Hornady XTP over 38 grains of 2400. By the forth shot my remaining round in the gun has moved about 90 thousands out and above of the cannalure. The cannalure itself is about 65 thousands and I'm crimping it almost at the top of the cannalure itself. So as I apply more crimp what should I be looking for (ie. to much crimp), standard over pressure signs while adjusting the die ever so slowly enough and keep making rounds till they don't move. BTW 38 of 2400 is very low on the charge. Max is 42 as per Alliant's website. I'm using RCBS roll crimp dies and right now I am adjusted 3/4 of 1 turn past initial touching of the casing. Added is a pic of my target loads which do not come loose hehe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(York County)

Default Re: Need some help on Bullet Crimp 500 S&W

Not an expert opinion here, but I believe you can crimp as hard as you like, with the determining factor being that the case will buckle, or bulge and not chamber if you go to far.

YB
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Luzerne County)

I use a very heavy roll crimp on my 500 magnums. As YBNormal said, as long as you don't have a case body bulge, your crimp should be fine. If you were at or near max loads, I'd suggest knocking it down a bit while playing with the crimp... but since you're already pretty low, crimp away (of course, always look out for signs of overpressure). If it bulges, back it out a bit. It's too bad that Lee doesn't make factory crimp dies for the .500 magnum. I use them for every caliber I reload except .500 mag.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Beaver County)

Thanks all for the info. I like the RCBS Dies but just never messed around with roll crimps alot. All my reloading is taper crimp so this added with the brute force of the 500 just something new to get used too.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.