Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default PA gun Registry...

Ok, so we all know its illegal, but theres always so much talk about how there is one. I usually have a police scanner on at home and there has been times where they've gotten guy w/ a LTCF, and ran the gun he had and it came back to them. There's also been more than one news story where it seems as the police say it was registered in the persons name. So whats the deal? any LEO that can chime in on this, I mean you've gotta know if you call into dispatch if they run it threw a system with just stolen serial #'s or what.. and if there isnt one why would it pop up in the system with a name every time i hear a call like that over the scanner, obviously i don't hear every one but I've heard a handfull of them and never heard them say theres no record of the gun

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: PA gun Registry...

When I bought my guns, I clearly saw them write the serial numbers on the paperwork. It may not be an official registry, but they can track a serial number back to you in a jiffy!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

I really have no doubt that they know what we have.. I could truly careless, but some say they dont and I just wanna know how it works.

(Susquehanna County)

I'm not and LEO, but I do know that all handgun sales are reported to the PSP. I also know that the courts have upheld this practice and the fact fact PSP maintains a database of gun sales. Of course the courts have ruled that since this is a database and only contains information about sales, not all handguns it is not a registry. This seems to say more about the honesty of the judges thatn it does the intent of the legislature.

So, I wonder what would happen when the LEO called it in and it came back "No record found"?
    Such as when the person moved here from another state and brought the gun with them? There would be no PA sales record of that.

(Luzerne County)

Well, you end up with the crap pile that happened to the gun owner in Hawley, PA.

He got royally raked over the coals by a idiot po-dunk police department. Its not cop bashing, because I am a LEO, but their action/reaction is down right sinful.

The PD kept his gun and was ducking every effort for him to get it back, based soley on the "no record found" for the gun. Well, if it was bought outside of Pa there would be no record! Da!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    So, I wonder what would happen when the LEO called it in and it came back "No record found"?
    Such as when the person moved here from another state and brought the gun with them? There would be no PA sales record of that.
    If you look at that question from the viewpoint of the UFA (the Uniform Firearms Act, Title 18 Chapter 61) the answer would have to be NOTHING SHOULD HAPPEN as long as the possessor of the pistol was in compliance with other provisions of the UFA i.e. if in a vehicle and has a valid LTCF. Since PA doesn't have a requirement to register handguns, they have no complaint.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Well, you end up with the crap pile that happened to the gun owner in Hawley, PA.

The PD kept his gun and was ducking every effort for him to get it back, based soley on the "no record found" for the gun. Well, if it was bought outside of Pa there would be no record! Da!
    I'm not cop-bashing either, but isn't this just the reason that GOA, NRA, JPFO, PA Rifle & Pistol Ass'n and maybe even PAFOA, should join in support of a lawsuit against the illegal actions of such a "Police Dept." If nothing else shouldn't a complaint of "Official Malfeacance" (did I spell that correctly) be made to the PA Atty Gen'ls office?

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I'm not cop-bashing either, but isn't this just the reason that GOA, NRA, JPFO, PA Rifle & Pistol Ass'n and maybe even PAFOA, should join in support of a lawsuit against the illegal actions of such a "Police Dept." If nothing else shouldn't a complaint of "Official Malfeacance" (did I spell that correctly) be made to the PA Atty Gen'ls office?
    last time it happened nothing happened, and i'd be willing to bet the next time it happens nothing happens... unfortunitly its not even necessarily the LEO's fault as they just aren't trained on firearm laws like the should be IMO. but as they would say, ignorance is not an excuse..

(Erie County)

There was a bill in the Senate to destroy the registry, but I'm pretty sure it died.

SB 738
    Last edited by KeithPA; October 29th, 2007 at 10:28 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast