Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lever action fun

Today I finally found some time to sight in my second lever action gun.

It's a Marlin 336C, chambered in 30-30 Win. Bought it "used" ... does that term really apply to a never fired gun? Or do I have to call it a "virgin" gun?

Anyhow, this rifle is very close in dimensions, weight, handling and function to my other Marlin, a 39A in .22 short/long/long rifle. What a nice combo this is. One can shoot the 39A all day without breaking the bank, then finish with a couple dozen rounds of serious caliber. Everything is identical to the point, where I squeeze the trigger. The only real difference is recoil (and consequently what possible damage it would do to the target, of course). All I have to do is to get another of those Tim Skinner peep hole rear sights.

Of course, Kons was with me and also had fun with his Savage as well as the 336C. And yes, we did take the scooter and people did look a bit stupefied when they realized that the boy on the passenger seat behind me was resting 3 rifle cases on his lap. I think my wife has to take a picture of that.

Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Lever action fun

Very nice. I've been having the itch to add a lever gun to the collection lately. They are fun guns to shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Bucks County)

Lever guns don't come any nicer then these.
    Uberti 1873 Winchesters. 20" barrel is a .357 Mag; 24" is a .45 Colt.
    Both are a hoot to shoot.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

I've had a Marlin 30-30 for maybe 35-40 years & still use it. I've never had a single problem with it. No PA gun safe should be without one.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Life just wouldn't be right without at least one lever action rifle. I have always had at least one, currently it's a Winchester 94 in 30 30.

And honestly I have never hunted with anything BUT a model 94, been my go to gun for hunting as long as I can remember. One of these days I need to get my butt back into the woods and do some hunting.

Always wanted one in 45 / 70 but the freaking ammo is just too damn expensive.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, I've been looking at 45/70, .44mag, or .357. If I were to get one, I would go with one of those. I have a blast shooting my friends Marlin Guide gun in 45/70
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Life just wouldn't be right without at least one lever action rifle. I have always had at least one, currently it's a Winchester 94 in 30 30.

And honestly I have never hunted with anything BUT a model 94, been my go to gun for hunting as long as I can remember. One of these days I need to get my butt back into the woods and do some hunting.

Always wanted one in 45 / 70 but the freaking ammo is just too damn expensive.
    And I would love to get into hunting. Probably some small game first, like rabbit and going from there. I remember going hunting with a distant uncle of mine, who was a forest ranger in Germany. But that's like 40 years ago, so I would need a thorough "beginners" introduction to the subject matter. Maybe we can discuss this during the picnic.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Yeah, I've been looking at 45/70, .44mag, or .357. If I were to get one, I would go with one of those. I have a blast shooting my friends Marlin Guide gun in 45/70
    I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. and I love it. I just couldn't own a Super Redhawk without having a long gun to go with it.

Besides it is interesting to have a handgun with a 3 x 9 scope on it and a rifle in the same caliber sporting the original iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by verge View Post
    Besides it is interesting to have a handgun with a 3 x 9 scope on it and a rifle in the same caliber sporting the original iron sights.
    I had a scope on my 30-30 Marlin for a while, but I took it off. That's like putting a chandelier in a shithouse. It just don't belong there.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Armstrong County)

I have an older 94 in 32 Special that was my great grandfathers, a 94 Trapper in 44mag, and a Marlin 30-30 that my uncle gave me. I have never shot the 30-30 in the 10 years i've owned it, but man is that 44mag fun. Makes a great "driving" or "brush" gun for deer. I honetly think my RedRider BB gun was bigger than the Trapper. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast