Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove Hunting?

(Delaware County)

Default Dove Hunting?

I believe the first phase of dove hunting opens tomorrow. Any one going out?

I thought I might try to hit some of the land open to hunting at Evansburg State park...but have never hunted on public land in Pennsylvania.

I grew up in Nebraska and dove season was always something to look forward to. Got you ready for pheasant and duck season. Had family that farmed and they often left large patches of wild marijuana (hemp) growing in fields that we used to hunt in. The doves loved to eat marijuana seeds.

I also believe there is some state game land around limerick. Just want to get out and have some fun.

Any thoughts or advice welcomed...thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Dove Hunting?

I'm going tomorrow. I've done a little scouting locally. I hunt public land because I don't know anyone with private land for dove/waterfowl etc. I haven't decided if I'm going to Evansburg, SGL 43 or Linfield. There is still a lot of corn up. I haven't been to Evansburg in a little while so I'm not sure what their fields look like.

(Delaware County)

Thanks Soup. My main concern is safety...mine and others. Just not sure with dove hunting and these fields how the heck you make sure you are not shooting at/near anyone else.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adenn1 View Post
    Thanks Soup. My main concern is safety...mine and others. Just not sure with dove hunting and these fields how the heck you make sure you are not shooting at/near anyone else.

Well, I've only really hunted birds (dove/pheasant) at linfield and SGL 43 and I've never had an issue there. Last year I was at Linfield for dove with 4 other hunters (I didn't know any of them)and everyone was very courteous and aware of their surroundings. I know that can't be said for everyone out there but I can tell that you can do what I do, if you don't feel safe, go home or elsewhere.

I've had decent luck at Linfield but I'm not sure about this year. Last year they had some corn down and a lot more sunflower fields it seems. I might drive by Evansburg on the way home and check out a field or two.

Even if I just sit in a field by myself all afternoon it's still better than being in the office.

(Berks County)

Hoping to get out for some doves or geese, we'll see!

(Cambria County)

im gonna take my dog out see how he does and to try to prepare him for pheasant
    -Dan

(Lancaster County)

I love it and miss it dearly. I've been slacking off a bit the last couple of months but trying to work with an effort to get dove hunting in NYS. It's totally stupid we don't have it here when it's the most popular form of hunting in the US next to and possibly above deer.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Delaware County)

Soup and I met up at Evansburg Park opening day....we tried a few of the fields south of R.73. We got a few doves to shoot at...but they were high in the sky and moving fast. From the shots of other hunters...not much really going on. It was hot and the doves were pretty scarce.

While we did not get any doves...it was a great day to get out in the fields and enjoy the fun. Soup and I hope to get out again...trying some of the other hunting grounds in our area.

Any day you can get out and just have some time to enjoy hunting and good company...you are a happy man.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adenn1 View Post
    Soup and I met up at Evansburg Park opening day....we tried a few of the fields south of R.73. We got a few doves to shoot at...but they were high in the sky and moving fast. From the shots of other hunters...not much really going on. It was hot and the doves were pretty scarce.

While we did not get any doves...it was a great day to get out in the fields and enjoy the fun. Soup and I hope to get out again...trying some of the other hunting grounds in our area.

Any day you can get out and just have some time to enjoy hunting and good company...you are a happy man.
    It was very hot! Had a great time. It's always good to meet new people.

I'd be up for getting together again next week when it's a little cooler. Maybe go to Linfield or SGL 43.

(Jefferson County)

I went out yesterday to the farm and to a hedgerow plot on neighboring gamelands. ...only saw one, which was on the farm. It was moving too fast for me to get a bead on it with my 28ga before it was shielded by some trees.

I'm going back out on Monday. My uncle told me of a spot on the farm where he saw some pigeons and dove together.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast