Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default My first open carry experience...

Decided to start open carrying from time to time, so I got myself an OWB holster when I was at Cabela's last weekend.

Last week I went to dinner with my family, and because I didn't feel like changing clothes from work (my pants are too tight to carry IWB), I decided to open carry.

Met them at the Carrabba's on 202 near rt 1 (S.E. PA). A few people noticed it was there as I walked in, mostly because they were seated waiting for a table and the pistol was at eye level for them. Never got any comments or weird looks. Funny part was none of my family noticed it until after dinner was over. I had walked in, waited with them, walked to the table, sat down last, and walked out of the place before my father noticed.

I then stopped at the local Giant to pick up a few things. Nobody seemed to care there either, then I went home.

(Snyder County)

Default Re: My first open carry experience...

Wow... I am sure as soon as you left the restaurant and the store, cops and swat swarmed the place looking for the "man with a gun." I bet if you watch the news there is an artist rendition of you on there right now!

Yeah, just kidding. It is great to not be hassled. But do prepare yourself for day you will be hassled. Think about what you will say and how you handle it. Even with common folk, sometimes it is good to carry the flier that PA Patriot created to help explain things without going into much detail.

And it is also nice to not have to worry about if you are OC or not. I often carry concealed for the sake of surprise if anything should happen. But sometimes I just don't feel like changing holsters and pants, so I OC. And OC is not for everyone, but it is a nice alternative sometimes.

I think when I get a better holster I will OC more. Just not sure if I want a retention strap or not.

(Chester County)

What gun/holster?

I'm surprised at the lack of reaction -- Chadds Ford isn't exactly what I'd call a hotbed of gun rights awareness.

The more I think about it (given your location) I suspect that most folks assumed you were a LEO. I suspect there is a benefit to carrying someplace like Chadds Ford -- people are so ingrained to the idea that only police officers carry guns that anyone carrying is assumed to be one.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Kypt,
    Welcome to the club. I'm a new member, but I've found it to be an interesting experience. It's almost the the ultimate feeling of "freedom". (and it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than IWB!)

The fact that your own family didn't notice says volumes. So far, I've only OC'd 4 times in a public "retail" establishment, but I've been OCing for several months, (daily) on my walks with the dog around the neighborhood and nobody has said "boo" to me about it. I'm sure that the fact that I'm walking with my wife and my dog takes most of the "man with a gun" fear away, but I'm still amazed that none of the other "dog-walkers" and such have inquired, and life just seems to go on as normal... the world has indeed, not ended because I carried openly.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    What gun/holster?
    Springfield XD45c in a Blackhawk Serpa.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
    Springfield XD45c in a Blackhawk Serpa.
    Ha! I carry an XD45 in a Serpa too! except mine is the service model.

(Allegheny County)

Funny.
    I was thinking we need a thread just for us OC SERPA folk...
    (mine is a carbon fiber finish model and carries a G27)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

OK, since I joined this site, I have wanted to try OC'ing, but I have to admit I have one fear: Being a large Black man with a gun. I am 6'1, 265 pounds, 54" chest, 38" waist, so I already deal with the menacing thing, and can't even imagine adding the gun part. All I see is lights, sirens, and the ASP shampoo, before I even get to say a word. Hell, people used to flip out when they saw me as an LEO carrying in plain clothes.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    OK, since I joined this site, I have wanted to try OC'ing, but I have to admit I have one fear: Being a large Black man with a gun. I am 6'1, 265 pounds, 54" chest, 38" waist, so I already deal with the menacing thing, and can't even imagine adding the gun part. All I see is lights, sirens, and the ASP shampoo, before I even get to say a word. Hell, people used to flip out when they saw me as an LEO carrying in plain clothes.

With you being in Philly, it wouldn't matter whether black or white - you'd get some attention real quick open carrying.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: My first open carry experience...

Welcome to the OC club!
    I OC regularly in northern Chester County (Frazer, Berwyn, Malvern) without any issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast