Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Pistol

(Allegheny County)

Default 1911 Pistol

I'm looking for a 1911 for carry.Don't know what to look for.Any suggestions,Springfield,Remington,Taurus,Colt?Appr eciate any feedback Bob Z.

(Berks County)

Default Re: 1911 Pistol

It all depends on your price range! How much are you looking to spend?

Yes, it does have to do with your budget.

However, a company such as Springfield has guns that fit all budgets and you would not be making a poor decision if you were to purchase one of their guns.

I would not buy the Remington. I've handled one and it felt and operated a bit cheap or toy like. A gunsmith friend of mine said he wouldn't buy them and the only reason a guy should want one is because they are a Remington fan and to add to a collection or something similar. Of course I'm not comparing them to a toy by any means....I just mean they felt a little chincy.

I have the Taurus and have owned several Springfields. I like them both. I am far more loyal to Springfield than Taurus. I have two friends that have 1911's that I've shot and both were quite nice, accurate and operated fine. One was a Kimber and the other was a Dan Wesson.

When you carry your gun, get a good holster and belt to support the weight. I've carried a 1911 for years and I will tell you they can get heavy by the end of the day. I carry my Glocks far more often now for several reasons but don't let anyone discourage you from carrying a full size 1911 if you want to. They conceal just fine and carry well as long as you know what you are doing. I feel very secure when I have mine on me.

Asking a bunch of guys on a gun forum what kind of 1911 you should buy for edc is opening up an interesting "discussion". Sort through all the armchair commando bs if you start getting any and also do your own research to develop an informed decision. Any of the respectable manufacturers will have a gun that will fit your needs and serve you well. I agree with the fact that you really need to get a dollar amount set and choose from there. And in my own opinion (just one man's opinion) you don't need to order a $3,000 custom 1911 to have a good gun. Don't get me wrong.....I'd love to be able to do that. But most 1911 guys can't do that more than likely and really, it isn't necessary.

Once guys start weighing in, you will have plenty of things to think about and many brands to consider. There are a lot of experienced, level headed, respectable people on this board who will give you solid, honest advice.
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

Oh and by the way.........

Welcome to the board!!
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Lackawanna County)

any colt will do! Stay full size as you start chopping inches of the barrel you tend to see issues with 1911's. That being said I have had multiple commanders and have had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    any colt will do! Stay full size as you start chopping inches of the barrel you tend to see issues with 1911's. That being said I have had multiple commanders and have had no problems.
    I carry a Kimber UCII (3IN) and love it. to be honest everyone that shoots it loves it.

Some questions and comments ...

1. do you have other pistols ?

2. What do you carry now ?

3. Are you willing to carry locked and cocked ?

4. 45 acp is expensive to shoot. you need to shoot alot to be proficient
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Bucks County)

My 1911 brand choice is Nighthawk Custom. They make superior 1911's.

As others have said, I'd start out with a fullsize 5" govt. model if you've never shot a 1911.

The downside to 1911 shopping is that the lower-end 1911 can have some issues and generally people customize them up to fit their needs. The mid-range 1911's like Springfield tend to be good, but again, some customization usually goes into them.

The higher end non competition 1911's like Nighthawk, Wilson, Les Baer, are generally regarded as reliable out of the box and need very little customization. However, you do pay for it. Higher end 1911's go from $2.5 - $3k +/-.

I own a Nighthawk Talon and a Kimber Warrior. I can tell you without a doubt the Talon is superior. I'd recommend that if you have a healthy budget, check out Nighthawk Custom.

(Cumberland County)

I'd say look at Springfield. As stated above they make a wide range of 1911s. One thing to keep in mind; If you buy a cheap one you're only going to pour more cash into it later. Just saying. However, I don't know if I'd reccomend going out and dropping three grand on a NightHawk or a Les Baer for your first 1911. Probably better to get familiar with the platform first... But hey, if you have unlimited funds, go for it!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelVain View Post
    My 1911 brand choice is Nighthawk Custom. They make superior 1911's.

As others have said, I'd start out with a fullsize 5" govt. model if you've never shot a 1911.

The downside to 1911 shopping is that the lower-end 1911 can have some issues and generally people customize them up to fit their needs. The mid-range 1911's like Springfield tend to be good, but again, some customization usually goes into them.

The higher end non competition 1911's like Nighthawk, Wilson, Les Baer, are generally regarded as reliable out of the box and need very little customization. However, you do pay for it. Higher end 1911's go from $2.5 - $3k +/-.

I own a Nighthawk Talon and a Kimber Warrior. I can tell you without a doubt the Talon is superior. I'd recommend that if you have a healthy budget, check out Nighthawk Custom.
    I just can't believe that buying a Nighthawk for X amount of money is THAT much better than a loaded Springfield with every bell and whistle possible for half the price. When you get into these upper echelons of 1911 makers it seems like you spend very much for very little relatively.

I believe Lycanthrope called it the 1911 law of diminishing returns. (Paraphrased, of course).
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Bucks County)

I agree that the cost of high end 1911's can be a turn-off, especially when compared to other guns at lower price points.

There's alot of research and feedback regarding this topic at M1911.org if you care to check it out.

I was never a big 1911 fan. Too many reports of reliability issues, and I wasn't that in love with the design. When Nighthawk Custom started years ago, I just casually checked the website out. After months of looking and research, I finally bought a Talon. The reason I went with a high-end is because I already had a lukewarm feeling for the 1911, even after shooting a Colt Mark IV. When my Talon came, it was like an epiphany. I am a huge fan of the 1911 now. My Talon has never had an issue and it's just gorgeous. The slide to frame fit is very tight, but yet the slide action is silky smooth with no grittiness. This to me was very key. Higher end 1911's are hand fitted and lapped. Nighthawk parts are all machined or made from tool steel, they are not MIM or stamped. It's really just a superior gun when you compare them to 1911's in the lower price brackets.

Now, I agree, if you don't feel you need the highest standard, that's fine. If you like to tinker with your guns and want to build it up yourself, that's great too. For someone like me who wanted a 1911 that had all the features, was made from the best parts, and hand fitted and inspected, I bought the Talon.

When I bought the Kimber Warrior, I was curious as to what kind of value I was going to get. I picked it up for about $900 I think. The trigger is not as good on my Kimber. The slide to frame fit has some play in it. While it's not a bad 1911, it's definitely not in the same league with my Talon in appearance or function (mags tend to hang up in my Kimber).

The great thing about 1911's is that there are many models to choose from all over the cost scale.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast