Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a good 9mm

(Lycoming County)

Default Need a good 9mm

So I see on here a few threads along the lines of "Good pistol for beginner" with very little detail as to what they will use it for. To make this simple I have supplied what my criteria is and what my uses will be.

Criteria:
    - 9mm or something of equal size
    - Semi-Automatic
    - Fair sized for concealed carry
    - Good size clip, maybe 8+
    - Around $250-$450

Uses:
    - Target/range gun
    - Concealed weapon

(NOTE: I am left handed so a left handed safety would be a plus)

This will be my first pistol and it will be a 21st birthday present to myself. I am not opposed to buying used and if I find a gun below my price range or in it used, I will go for it. I just need to hear from users what guns they find to easily jam, hard to take apart, etc. I need something reliable, fun, easy to wear, and overall just a good solid safe gun.

Default Re: Need a good 9mm

I have no experience with them, but a Kel Tec P-11 or PF9 would fit your requirements perfectly.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Glock. You pick the flavor. Glock 17, 19, 26, 34. Any or all will run when you need them to, rain or shine. Oh, and by the way the magazines don't cost $150.00 each! Bill T.

(Monroe County)

- Semi-Automatic
    - MAGAZINE capacity of 8+
    - Around $250-$450
    First off I will ask if you have experience with handguns and if you are getting your LTCF so you can carry concealed. After that is answered in the affirmative I would highly recommend -

9mm
    Glock 17 Full size has a 17 round magazine
    Glock 19 compact has a 15 round magazine
    Glock 26 subcompact has a 10 round mag
    Springfield XD-9 XD-9c or XD-9sc

.40S&W
    Glock 22 Full Size 15 round magazine
    Glock 23 compact 13 round magazine
    Glock 27 subcompact 9 round magazine
    Springfield XD-40 XD-40c or XD-40sc

All can be had for AROUND 550-600 new or around 400-500 used, just have to shop around for the price (my Gen 4 Glock 22 cost about 550 brand new and came with 3 15 round mags). Your body type and of course HOLSTER CHOICE AND CLOTHING will determine if you can conceal a full size handgun well. MY personal opinion on a carry caliber is .40 or .45 in a semi-auto handgun, though I will not bash 9mm and on occasion carry an XD-9 myself.

The above handguns are very easy to operate,take down for cleaning and the makers/brands have excellent reputations both in the private and local/state/federal government sector.

IF you have no experience with handguns go get that experience by someone who does/take a training course/go to a range that teaches and start off with a .22 to learn the mechanics of a handgun, proper safety/operation and proper form.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru_Steve View Post
    So I see on here a few threads along the lines of "Good pistol for beginner" with very little detail as to what they will use it for. To make this simple I have supplied what my criteria is and what my uses will be.

Criteria:
    - Semi-Automatic
    - Good size clip, maybe 8+
    - Around $250-$450

Uses:
    - Target/range gun
    - Concealed weapon

This will be my first pistol and it will be a 21st birthday present to myself. I am not opposed to buying used and if I find a gun below my price range or in it used, I will go for it. I just need to hear from users what guns they find to easily jam, hard to take apart, etc. I need something reliable, fun, easy to wear, and overall just a good solid safe gun.
    Brand new:
    • Ruger SR9c -- comes with a grip extension magazine making it similar to a full size grip and giving you 3 extra rounds
    • Keltec P-11 (not fun to shoot, but very light and compact)
    • Stoeger Cougar (a little bulky and heavy for regular CC)
    • Taurus: In your price range and have some nice features, but have very questionable reliability and customer service. I would avoid them unless you can't find anything else that fits your needs.

Used:
    • XD9sc (about $375 used) -- comes with a grip extension magazine making it similar to a full size grip and giving you 3 extra rounds
    • Glock 26 (about $400-425 used) -- consider the G27 as an alternative, as that will open up more options for caliber conversions with inexpensive drop in barrels.
    • S&W M&P9c
    • Walther PPS (flatter, single stack, only 6 rounds)
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Lancaster County)

i'll vote on a glock 17 even being a full size gun it dissipers with a iwb holster
    V-DUB Shop!DUBNINJA 82

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    First off I will ask if you have experience with handguns and if you are getting your LTCF so you can carry concealed. After that is answered in the affirmative I would highly recommend -

9mm
    Glock 17 Full size has a 17 round magazine
    Glock 19 compact has a 15 round magazine
    Glock 26 subcompact has a 10 round mag
    Springfield XD-9 XD-9c or XD-9sc

.40S&W
    Glock 22 Full Size 15 round magazine
    Glock 23 compact 13 round magazine
    Glock 27 subcompact 9 round magazine
    Springfield XD-40 XD-40c or XD-40sc

All can be had for AROUND 550-600 new or around 400-500 used, just have to shop around for the price (my Gen 4 Glock 22 cost about 550 brand new and came with 3 15 round mags). Your body type and of course HOLSTER CHOICE AND CLOTHING will determine if you can conceal a full size handgun well. MY personal opinion on a carry caliber is .40 or .45 in a semi-auto handgun, though I will not bash 9mm and on occasion carry an XD-9 myself.

The above handguns are very easy to operate,take down for cleaning and the makers/brands have excellent reputations both in the private and local/state/federal government sector.

IF you have no experience with handguns go get that experience by someone who does/take a training course/go to a range that teaches and start off with a .22 to learn the mechanics of a handgun, proper safety/operation and proper form.
    No immediate experience. And yes I am ready to get my LTCF right after turning 21 so all paperwork is through ASAP.

(Lehigh County)

I have multiple 9mm but the one I would recommend is the Ruger SR9 love the way it feels the back-strap is adjustable , it eats anything I feed it and it is accurate.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaru_Steve View Post
    Uses:
    - Target/range gun
    - Concealed weapon

Target/range gun and concealed weapon are criteria that often work against one another. I think you've gotten some good suggestions. I don't own a Ruger SR-9 but it looks like a great candidate to me.

As far as guns that I am familiar with I would strongly recommend you try shooting a Glock 26. If the grip angle suits you I find it to be an ideal gun for both range shooting and concealed carry. I shoot it as accurately as any of my larger guns and it conceals well. There's an entire universe of aftermarket parts for it. The gun can be made "larger" when needed by adding a larger mag with a grip adapter

New it's a touch under $500, used somewhere around $400-ish.
    Left handed safety no problem. Your left hand is the safety.

I'm a lefty and I approve this message.

(Philadelphia County)

Get a used Glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast