Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Walther P22

(Luzerne County)

Default Walther P22

I bought my first handgun a couple of weeks ago, a Walther P22 tactical (5" barrel). The 22 LR is an inexpensive way for us to get a lot of practice. My son and I took it out to the state range yesterday for the first time. After about 50 rounds the slide stopped staying open after the last round is fired. We were at the state range in Sweet Valley so we were firing 5 rounds at a time. I was using CCI mini mags. It never jammed or misfired but by the end of the 100 round box the slide was never staying open after the last round was fired.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the gun or the ammo. We bought it at Cabella's in Hamburg. I don't want to make the 90 mile drive to find out it's a cockpit error on my part or something to do with the ammo I'm using. Any thoughts?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Walther P22

try a different magazine....I had p22 also that did this.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

(Blair County)

I had the same problem only it was after several thousand rounds. I sent it back to walther (smith and wesson) they replaced the slide for free with less than a two week turn around.

(Cumberland County)

Trying a different magazine is a good idea, so is tearing the gun down and scrubbing it out thoroughly. Sometimes guns will come from the factory with some extra "surprises" hidden in there. Always a good idea to strip a gun down and clean it out, then re-lube as needed.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Trying a different magazine is a good idea, so is tearing the gun down and scrubbing it out thoroughly. Sometimes guns will come from the factory with some extra "surprises" hidden in there. Always a good idea to strip a gun down and clean it out, then re-lube as needed.
    I think this will be my first step. I'll tear it down and give it a good cleaning then try another hundred rounds this weekend. If that doesn't work I'll try a different mag. The last thing I'll do is contact the mfg.

I used to do maintenance on data processing equipment. It used to drive me nuts when an operator would place a service call over an operator error. Thanks for the help.

(Cumberland County)

Another thing, I should have thought to mention this before. Try some other ammo. Just because CCI Minimags are considered some of the best across the board .22 ammo out there doesn't mean they are the best for your gun. Minimags consistently fail to lock the bolt open on my M&P 15-22. Probably a coincidence, but try different ammo. I'll shoot a 325 round box of Federal Automatch with zero issues, but with Minimags I have an issue every 4 or 5 mags.

Some guns chambered in .22lr tend to be VERY ammo picky. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense, like how my M&P 15-22 loves Remington Thunderbolts, but hates CCI Minimags. Go figure.

.22 ammo is cheap. Go buy a bunch of 50 round boxes, see what works.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Mercer County)

I've had my p22 for about 3 years with several thousand rounds through it.

Not meaning to state the obvious but make sure your fingers/thumbs are not resting on the slide release. I had problems with the slide not locking back on the last round and I realized, that with such a small framed pistol and my larger hands, my thumb was just touching the release.

(Blair County)

There was a known issue with mags on this gun when it first came out. If your mags have an A after the part number they should be ok, but try another one. Another thing is if the barrel nut at the end of the barrel loosens up it causes all sorts of problems so make sure it is tight.