Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What is the deal with the current M&P's

First let me say thank you all for the amusing and informative posts on this site. It has made the process of buying my first firearm very enjoyable.

After much research and some time at the range, I have decided on the 9mm. Home defense and recreation are the main reasons for me getting a firearm. The mid size seems to be just about right for me so I have narrowed it down to a Glock 19 Gen4 or a M & P 9mm c.

I had some range time with the Gen3 but not the Gen4. It feels ok on the hands and I was able get pretty close to the bulls eye. In all a liked it very much. The reviews are also pretty positive There are not many negative reviews out there. I would feel constable with this weapon because its track record.

The M & P felt great in my hands. Way better than the Glock did. I actually got a shot right on the bull eyes and this was basically my first time in the range in about 10 years. Holding this pistol feels just great. The trigger, the grip, the slide etc. That said, the reviews are somewhat mixed. It seems as this pistol has had many issues (most which have been fixed) so I wonder what is the current state of this pistol. Have all the issues been worked out? Striker pins, slider scratching the inner part of the frame, roasting slider are the bigger concerns. Most reviews are at least 2 years old so I don't know if the current version is issue free.

It is like my mind saids get the glock but my heart wants the M & P but this being my first firearm, I really don't want a lemon. I know S & W has great CS but a gun out for services does not make a great home defense gun :-).

I am almost tempted to spend the extra 300 for the HK 9mm ( which feels great as well) but I want to use that 300 for a range membership / ammo
    Last edited by Mango; August 30th, 2010 at 12:40 AM.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: What is the deal with the current M&P's

The very first problems with the M&P's were mag drop issues. They re-designed the mag catch and fixed it. The earlier ones also had problems with strikers breaking. They since switched to a stronger striker design and fixed it.

I have a M&P9c and LOVE it. I would not hesitate to buy another M&P. Actually, I want 2 more

They really are great guns. Many professional trainers and long time "Glock guys" are switching over. Those same guys snubbed the XD's when they came out.

My brother makes gun holsters and well over half of his orders are for M&P's. It's probally closer to 70% actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    I have shat...
    Perhaps one of the best first posts ever. Welcome.

(Erie County)

Either is a good, solid choice. I do have a preference for some Glock models but I've got a fairly new M&P 9c that is quickly piling up rounds without issue in the last couple months. My main complaint with the 9c is the grip size but I bought the pistol for my daughter and it fits her tiny hands well.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    I'm considering making it my signature... I'm probably gonna just stick with the Mexican cuisine reference though, change scares me.

OP, if the M&P feels right you should go for it. S&W seems to have the issues ironed out and you're right about their customer service.

You'll see that when people ask for gun reccomendations they'll often be told to go with what feels right and shoots the best. That's because it's true. If you shoot it better and it's a good fit GO BUY IT.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    opps...my bad
    Last edited by Mango; August 30th, 2010 at 07:55 AM.

(Clinton County)

My wife Loves her M&Pc 9mm. She did have some problems that were her fault in training. Shooting one handed with flash light. By the advanced tactical course all had been work out and she out shot the class.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Bucks County)

A USPC9 should be less than $300 more than the other 2 brands. Just look around on the net, I'd recommend asking on hkpro.com

I'd go with the USPC9, but that's just my opinion.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    I am almost tempted to spend the extra 300 for the HK 9mm ( which feels great as well) but I want to use that 300 for a range membership / ammo
    I had a Glock 23, M&P 9mm, and a USP 9c at the same time. The Glock and HK were gone in favor or more M&P's. The USP was a very nice gun, but not worth the extra money for the gun let alone the increase in magazine prices. You also have to consider what the USP offers over the other two. Nothing. The USP is another plastic pistol that just happens to cost more. Glocks are nice, but it was tough for me at the time to shoot it compared to the M&P.

I dont think you can go wrong with either, but the M&P is still selling like hot cakes for good reason.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Monroe County)

ive had my M&P9C since november, and ive put close to 2000 rounds thru it without a single problem. there was a small issues with a bit of rust on the slide, but that was my fault for not cleaning it off for a few days after wearing it OC at work, and having my sweaty arm lay against it most of the day.

i love the way it shoots, feels, and conceals too.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast