Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Change in Stance: Dramatic Improvement

Since I began shooting (maybe 9 or so months ago), I've used a Weaver stance. No particular reason, other than it felt comfortable to me. I'm not sure I was using the "classic" Weaver or not, but I would maintain a near totally upright/vertical position with my upper body. I'm an average shooter, with a tendency to pull low and left, and that I often do as well or sometimes even better, shooting just with my strong/right hand, as I do with both hands. This has always been a mystery to me.

More than once I've noticed shooters who practice more of what I'd call a "forward thrust/lunging" position, and of late, I had the opportunity to talk with a gentleman at the range who is one hell of a shot, and who also uses this stance. As best I can tell, it's a bit of an exaggerated modified Weaver, sort of like that shown in this video, but with even more of a forward lunge.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2359776_ta...-shooting.html

My accuracy immediately improved. Not only was I more stable (I've been told I would often visibly rock back upon recoil), but even the sight picture seems much better. The forward thrust/extension of both arms, also seems to alow me to remain on target easier between shots.

So, lesson learned here for sure. No matter what you're doing, not only is there always something to be learned, but don't be reluctant to experment. I felt that changing a stance I'd become so accustomed to wouldn't be a good idea. Man, was I wrong.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(York County)

Default Re: Change in Stance: Dramatic Improvement

Slight refinements in the "Magnificent Seven", i.e. the following:
    1. Stance
    2. Grip
    3. Sight Alignment
    4. Sight Picture
    5. Breath Control
    6. Trigger Squeeze
    7. Follow Through
    will increase a shooters accuracy measurably. Since an adjusted stance has shown you with marked improvement(#1), lets take it one step further. What
    grip are you using with your pistol? If you happen to have the Gun Digest
    Book of Sig-Sauer by Massad Ayoob, check out Chapter 14 on Shooting the
    Sig Sauer Pistol. Excellent explanations of various grip techniques for one
    handed, as well as two handed grips. This is applicable to most all pistols,
    not just Sigs. You were quite correct to state that their is something to learn
    when shown something new to improve marksmanship.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Change in Stance: Dramatic Improvement

imho, the bible of how to shoot a handgun fast and accurately is Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos.

also, check out the various videos on the web by Todd Jarrett. google Todd Jarrett Pistol Shooting Video or something like that.
    F*S=k