Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Archery Shop

(Allegheny County)

Default Archery Shop

Hey guys (and gals),

I have been thinking about getting a Hoyt recurve bow (or comparable), and is wondering if there are any good archery shops around Pittsburgh. I called a couple of places today, and most of them are closed on Sundays. The one place that was open in Butler is an authorized Hoyt dealer, but doesn't stock recurves.

Been to Cabela's in WV, but they didn't have anything that I liked, and they don't stock any Hoyt. Local Dick's at the Waterfront doesn't have any recurves.

I'd like to be able to try several bows, and get properly fitted, so I'd prefer a larger, more well stocked and knowledgeable shop.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

LMcQ784

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Archery Shop

One Big Ass Mistake America

If you're near Monroeville/Murraysville, check out Ultimate Outdoors on Rt. 286/Golden Mile Highway in Plum Boro. Not exactly sure how their bow selection/prices were, but I got some decent deals on some things there, and they were extremely helpful with all the questions I had when I was first getting into archery a few years ago.

They also have a short (maybe 20 yard) range that you can try out different bows before you buy.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, guys!

I'm calling places, and the most popular answer I hear is "no we don't stock recurves".

I called Ultimate Outdoors this morning, and they said they only stock a couple of recurves, and they happen to be the 2 Hoyt hunting models, but nothing else I can try and compare.

(Allegheny County)

only know this place cause i did a transfer there one time, but there is
    Phil's Archery
    713 Chartiers Avenue
    Mc Kees Rocks, PA 15136-3601
    (412) 771-1819

not vouching for what they have in stock or if they are good or not because i have no idea, but just a place to check out if you want.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info. Called Phil's today as well.... seems like they mostly stock compounds as well, and not many recurves at all either... He said he may have a couple, and a few used... so I may start there and see...

Also called Reeve's down in Washington, as well as Jay Peake in North Huntington, and they don't stock recurves either.

Looks like Phil's and Ultimate outdoors are the only 2 places with ANY recurve bows in stock.

If you're looking to compare, did you try calling the Cabela's down in Wheeling yet? It's only a 45 minute drive or so from the parkway, and I would almost bet they have a good selection of recurves. Their prices may not be the best, but they do have a range at this location, and I know they let people test out their bows. You could at least go down there and see what you like, then do some calling around to get prices. I'm guessing most of the local shops could order you a specific bow as long as they are a dealer for that company.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, Mabuz,

I have been down to Cabela's several times in the past couple months, and have tried a few bows. They have a handful of choices, and most of them didn't feel very good. One did though, but the last time I was there, they were out of it, and there wasn't even a rack space for it it was the PSE Coyote. I tried the PSE Mustang as well, but that didn't feel very good to me.

I was also told by the sales guy that helped me that I really should look into a Hoyt (the 3rd to tell me), even though they don't carry them. Hoyt makes his favorite recurve.

I'll keep lookin'! Maybe pay Ultimate outdoors and Phil's a visit to take a look some time soon.