Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Luzerne County LOE's,get this done!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoQtr View Post
    After reading this thread, I came away thinking several things.

First, the "coal region" mentality is alive and well and shows no signs changing any time soon. Very sad.

Second, some gun owners are not willing to educate themselves and are so narrow minded that they give anti-gun groups and politicos fodder to push the anti-gun agenda.

Third, while opinions are free speech, sometimes it is best to keep them to one's self.

The PGC ranges are not meant for or are conducive to "training". They are meant for a shooter to stay in a static position with a weapon and remain that way until they fire all the rounds.http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2
    Being a person that was born, raised and still lives in the coal region. I would love to know what you mean by "the "coal region" mentality " is.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Being a person that was born, raised and still lives in the coal region. I would love to know what you mean by "the "coal region" mentality " is.

Doh! Someone is about to get spanked! LOL

(Schuylkill County)

"coal region" - slur - An expression often used in slander by one who has moved away from the region, and now believes they are superior for doing so; syn. "skooker"

I hear it all the time by people who claim to have "escaped" the area. Or those that see folks in Shamokin, Shenandoah, Pottsville, Hazleton, etc and then proceed to cast a blanket statement upon us, as if we are all uneducated, close-minded, racist, redneck peckerwoods. Because we typically like a traditional approach to life, and the things in life, we are the prior.

That's ok though, I'd sooner have the simple, country life any day over the city, liberal backdrop. So when people talk down upon our area, I just smile with pride because I generally like it here.

You know I like my chicken fried
    A cold beer on a Friday night
    A pair of jeans that fit just right
    And the radio up

Well I was raised up beneath
    the shade of a Georgia pine
    And that`s home you know
    Sweet tea pecan pie and homemade wine
    Where the peaches grow
    And my house it`s not much to talk about
    But it`s filled with love that`s grown
    in southern ground

And a little bit of chicken fried
    Cold beer on a Friday night
    And the radio up
    Well I've seen the sunrise
    See the love in my woman`s eyes
    Feel the touch of a precious child
    And know a mother`s love

And it's funny how it`s the little things in life
    that mean the most
    Not where you live, what you drive,
    or the price tag on your clothes
    There`s no dollar sign on a piece of mind
    this I've come to know
    So if you agree have a drink with me
    Raise you glasses for a toast

To a little bit of chicken fried
    And the radio up
    And know a mother`s love

I thank God for my life
    And for the stars and stripes
    May freedom forever fly, let it ring
    Salute the ones who died
    And the ones that give their lives, so we don`t have to sacrifice
    All the things we love

Like our chicken fried
    And the radio up
    And know a mother`s love

Get ya little chicken fried
    And the radio up
    And know a mother`s love
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; September 14th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
    III%

(Luzerne County)

I reserve my comments until or if NoQtr responds.

(Schuylkill County)

I reserve my comments until or if NoQtr responds.
    Yea, I wont attempt to assume what he meant... I just meant in general, many people fit that description. I meet them all the time, and see them posting on the internet newspaper sites backing the descriptions credibility. By no means was that directed at him... (yet anyway )
    III%

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Yea, I wont attempt to assume what he meant... I just meant in general, many people fit that description. I meet them all the time, and see them posting on the internet newspaper sites backing the descriptions credibility. By no means was that directed at him... (yet anyway )
    No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by NoQtr View Post
    After reading this thread, I came away thinking several things.

First, the "coal region" mentality is alive and well and shows no signs changing any time soon. Very sad.

Second, some gun owners are not willing to educate themselves and are so narrow minded that they give anti-gun groups and politicos fodder to push the anti-gun agenda.

Third, while opinions are free speech, sometimes it is best to keep them to one's self.

The PGC ranges are not meant for or are conducive to "training". They are meant for a shooter to stay in a static position with a weapon and remain that way until they fire all the rounds.http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2
    Yep, and anyone who does not buy a Hunting License, who bitches, needs to get a boot in their ass.....

I buy a hunting license, that pays for those ranges, they are not for the tacticool fools, they are for the Hunters, who pay for them......

I'll be the first to raise hell with anyone who has a different view, at a SGL Range......

(Schuylkill County)

Gentlemen, I will preface my response by stating this. I too was born and raised here and I am also proud of it. I did by no means mean my previous statement as a slur against anyone. So don't go getting your panties in a bunch.

The "coal region" mentality is difficult to describe because it is made up of several things and can sometimes be seen as generalities but they are my observations and experiences during my 48 trips around the sun.

First and foremost, I have found that the "mentality" influences common basic courtesy. People from the "region" have a tendancy to be very "clanish" and doing so tend to be rude and unfriendly in social situations. Go into a restaurant or a bar in another town or area and you would think that you are wearing a scarlet letter by the treatment you receive.

Failure to accept change and progress and to see reality as it is. For example, ask someone what their political affiliation is and about 90% of the people will respond...Democrat.
    Why? Because my _________ was a Democrat and my so and so was a Democrat and those Republicans are rich and they don't care about the workin man. But for the last 60 or so years those same Fed/State/local politicians have been running this state and communities into the ground at our expense.

Getting a higher education beyond high school makes you a "big shot".

Allowing the local elite (Chamber of Commerce)to continually turn away companies that want to relocate to the industrial parks because the business wants to pay a decent wage and possibly be unionized. Can't allow a business come in that has skilled labor because then no one would work in the distribution/warehouse jobs for minimum wage.

While at a PGC range trying to help a buddy with an AR15 function problem have someone come over uninvited and ask, "Why did you waste your money on that?" " Can't hunt with it." (See above about the proper behavior bit)

Why do people continue to dump garbage/construction debris/tires etc along the roadsides and rural areas?

I don't think I have to go into corruption and graft that exists. I'll save that for another day.

Now there are positives living here. Depending where you live, there is little violent crime. Traffic is relatively light unless there is PennDot construction going on.

I grew up here, went away to college, graduated and came back. Couldn't get a job so I had to move south to MD and was there for a few years. Came back to PA after a family issue and have lived here ever since. Once out of the negativity and the "That's just the way it is." attitude, a person can see life and the world from a different perspective.

It is just a shame that with the strong work ethic, strong sense of family and community the mindset is just ingrained.

Sorry about being long winded, but fellas I mean no offense to anyone here. These are just my observations.
    Last edited by NoQtr; September 14th, 2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Yep, and anyone who does not buy a Hunting License, who bitches, needs to get a boot in their ass.....

I buy a hunting license, that pays for those ranges, they are not for the tacticool fools, they are for the Hunters, who pay for them......

I'll be the first to raise hell with anyone who has a different view, at a SGL Range......
    As stated on many boards, maybe even this one.....hunters dollars did NOT soley fund the hunting ranges. Anyone buying guns or ammo contributed to the building of the ranges through the Pittman-Robertson Act.

True, they are not intended for the tactical crowd, however they are not soley a "hunters only" club either.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    As stated on many boards, maybe even this one.....hunters dollars did NOT soley fund the hunting ranges. Anyone buying guns or ammo contributed to the building of the ranges through the Pittman-Robertson Act. True, they are not intended for the tactical crowd, however they are not soley a "hunters only" club either.
    And all the stte game lands that the hunter are hunting. How did that come to be hunting areas? All of those hunting licenses paid for all that acreage also? lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast