Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Luzerne County LOE's,get this done!!!!

I used to shoot at the SCID range in Jackson township. It used to be open for State Police and a lot of local depts. used it also. Len Pallis used to be in charge, I don't know who runs it now. LCLEOAA used to have a nice range in Hanover Industrial park but lost it to developement. I shoot at WBRP now. It has some requirements to belong but is well worth the time and effort to belong. We have 300 yd rifle, 50 yd pistol, both covered, and IDPA pits. If any LEO wants to visit the range for prospective membership and get in some practice contact me.

Jack

Sometimes the FOP lodges have ranges for their members to shoot.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunone View Post
    I used to shoot at the SCID range in Jackson township. It used to be open for State Police and a lot of local depts. used it also. Len Pallis used to be in charge, I don't know who runs it now. LCLEOAA used to have a nice range in Hanover Industrial park but lost it to developement. I shoot at WBRP now. It has some requirements to belong but is well worth the time and effort to belong. We have 300 yd rifle, 50 yd pistol, both covered, and IDPA pits. If any LEO wants to visit the range for prospective membership and get in some practice contact me.

Jack
    We still use the range at SCID. In fact, we will be there at the end of next month for dept quals. I'm not sure if they allow lone officers to sign out the range.

They've added a few legal things before using the range, such as liability waiver, plus a sheet that lists the ammo and firearms to be used, etc.

Several years ago a group of us (firearm instructors) reserved the SCID range on a Saturday in hopes of getting officers from several surrounding depts to come out and shoot. The only people that showed up were the instructors!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    If I am still correct, behind the storage buildings at SGL91 by Mountian Lake there is a 25YD range for the PGC officers. If it is still there I think that a PSP trooper would be allowed to use it for practice. Just take care and clean up when done.Also the Department of Corrections has a range on Rt11. You can see it from the road.
    That range by Mountain Road is closed. As I previously stated, it was built with public funds and shut down because it was "private". When I got my first firearms instructor certification, we used that range. This goes back several years. It is no longer in use.

We use the range at Retreat for dept qualifications. I do not know if one or two officers can sign out the range for use. A neighboring dept was just down there last week doing qualifications.

(Luzerne County)

Jack
    My understanding is you can't join WBRP without a sponsor. I assume this really limits things unless you know someone.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    My understanding is you can't join WBRP without a sponsor. I assume this really limits things unless you know someone.
    Yes you do need a sponser. It is also my understanding that you need to attend some publicfunctions befor you can apply.

There are a few people on the forum that go there. They should be able to tell how the process works. Maybe even be a sponser.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

I'm a member. To qualify for membership you do need a sponsor. That is not hard to do. Attend one of shoots,(they are listed on website) introduce yourself to a member and express your interest in joining the club.

Once you have a sponsor and are accepted as a probational member you will need to attend one shoot for each of the disiplines in one year. You will also be required to put in two work days at one of the shoots, or in grounds maintenance etc..

Just this year I have been able to put in 5 work days by scoring matches and will be doing several more before the season ends. For the $50 a year membership and the required work days and selling $100 in lottery tickets a year it is well worthwhile.

We have a 28 position pistol range with rotating targets, a 300 yd. rifle range and three auxilliary ranges.

Membership is limited to 100 members. There are about 10 openings right now.

If someone wants to join and you would like a chance to visit the range, message me. I am free any day for a range visit.

(Luzerne County)

I'm a member. To qualify for membership you do need a sponsor. That is not hard to do. Attend one of shoots,(they are listed on website) introduce yourself to a member and express your interest in joining the club.

Once you have a sponsor and are accepted as a probational member you will need to attend one shoot for each of the disiplines in one year. You will also be required to put in two work days at one of the shoots, or in grounds maintenance etc..

Just this year I have been able to put in 5 work days by scoring matches and will be doing several more before the season ends. For the $50 a year membership and the required work days and selling $100 in lottery tickets a year it is well worthwhile.

We have a 28 position pistol range with rotating targets, a 300 yd. rifle range and three auxilliary ranges.

Membership is limited to 100 members. There are about 10 openings right now.

If someone wants to join and you would like a chance to visit the range, message me. I am free any day for a range visit.
    Does my wife also need a membership? or would she be covered under my membership?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

She would require a membership if she will be shooting, if just bringing her to keep an eye on you, no!

(Schuylkill County)

After reading this thread, I came away thinking several things.

First, the "coal region" mentality is alive and well and shows no signs changing any time soon. Very sad.

Second, some gun owners are not willing to educate themselves and are so narrow minded that they give anti-gun groups and politicos fodder to push the anti-gun agenda.

Third, while opinions are free speech, sometimes it is best to keep them to one's self.

The PGC ranges are not meant for or are conducive to "training". They are meant for a shooter to stay in a static position with a weapon and remain that way until they fire all the rounds.http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast