Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hunting rifle advice

If the 270 has a bit more recoil than you expect or can handle, I think you can buy reduced recoil ammo.

Just a thought.

Great choice. If you want to save a couple bucks also check out Savage. I bought my son a model 111 in .270 new for around $400 and it comes with a 3x9x40 scope. Super accurate but the trigger needed some adjusting. If you like the Remington buy it, it will last you a lifetime and .270 is a good caliber.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Perry County)

Iron Butt makes a great point, although I have a lovely Winchester feather weight in 7mm/08, my last buck was shot with a Marlin 336 in 30-30. There is something about a Marlin 30-30 (or winchester 94) that just says perfect for close in encounters with Pa whitetails. Damn I can almost smell the Hoppes # 9 following these cool evenings.

(Luzerne County)

I would only buy that Rem 700 if you want a gun to hunt with for the rest of your life. Seriously, with good glass that is a gun that will serve you for decades.

As someone else mentioned Savage is making some great bargains in hunting rifles. I'd use caution if looking at a scoped combo. A co-worker of mine had a scope from a combo fall apart after two boxes of practice.

Caliber choice is nearly irrelevant. If you go with .270, .30-36, .308, 30-30, 7mm mag, or 7mm-08, you can't go wrong. Some throw .243 in that mix too. Find a rifle that fits you. The other details are almost pointless.

(Clarion County)

If you're not too dead set on the Remington, it might not hurt to go take a look at a Savage. Much like others have said, their prices are pretty reasonable and they're quite accurate as well. I have a 200 Stevens (synthetic stock 110) in .270 and I love shooting it. This will be my first season with it.

If you want some more info on Savages, head over to http://www.savageshooters.com and look around. There are alot of helpful and knowledgeable guys over there who would be more than happy to assist in your search if you decide on a Savage. Just so long as you find something that fits you, you'll be in great shape.

(Lehigh County)

As others have said, you can't go wrong with the 700 or the .270. Both are good choices. I do tend to agree with one of the above posters in that it's probably more than you need for PA whitetail. It's definitely not the biggest thing you could use; however, it can pound your shoulder just like a 30-06 if you intend to practice with it often. If you only plan to shoot it a few times a year, than that's probably not a huge factor. My choice for PA deer would be the 30-30 or the 308 (though there are MANY "right" choices and very few "wrong" choices).

My main problem is that the 270 doesn't really give you anything that the 308 doesn't. The 270 is flatter shooting, but do you really plan to take a dear at 400 yards+? At the distances that most PA hunters shoot their deer (under 100 yards), I'd rather have longer barrel life, cheaper ammo, and a slightly bigger hole (not that you need that last one). Again, for a pure hunting rifle that you put a box or 2 of ammo through every year, these points become moot... so don't take them too seriously. However, if you intend to shoot the rifle often, a 308 had several advantages over the 270 and very few disadvantages for deer hunting.

(Monroe County)

Rem 700 short action in .260 Rem or 7mm-08. The short action will save you some weight and these two cartridges will save you recoil.

(Westmoreland County)

Rem. 700 is my favorite rifle and as for caliber I personally would stick with the basics the most readily available ammo possible 30-06, .270, .308, .243 Take your pick they are all great calibers for hunting deer and can be bought at any store that sells ammo. INMO I would go with 30-06 and if the recoil is to much for you shoot Remington managed recoil loads for a couple years till you think you can handle it but its not so bad with a good but pad and same goes for the .270

I agree with the PRO 270 Remy 700 combo its a can't miss package. Excellent for white tail deer and relatively easy to shoot, get you a good scope and start stacking up on venison.

Of course there are other options but your combo is a good one.

(Westmoreland County)

I will throw my 2 cents worth in as well, as you can tell, the rifle you chose has a strong following, personally I would recommend a little less pricey rifle for your first, Marlin XL7 or Stevens are fine starter Rifles, Something that has only been slightly touched on would be the scope. I would go with a little less rifle and a better glass on it.
    I will differ a little with one of the posters, I stay away from the package rifle / scopes deals, it’s a crap shoot on them, some are not bad, but you may end up with a piece of junk.
    As far as caliber, that’s a personal choice, in my close to 50 years of Deer hunting in Pa, I have seen deer dropped with every thing from a .223 bullet up to a 338. Both and anything in between will kill Deer if you do your part. The debate about the best caliber for White tail has been going on as long as I can remember. I would choose a low recoil Rifle, I know guys that developed a flinch as kids and never got over it as adults.
    And don’t get the idea this will be your one and only rifle, you have plenty of time to build your arsenal.
    Good luck with what ever you choose

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast