Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default good pistol for beginer

Whats a good pistol for a beginer. I dont want to spend more then about $300. Their are alot of choice but I dont know witch one would be good. I also want to take a class to learn

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: good pistol for beginer

A good beginner pistol that I would recommend would be the Ruger P95. It's approx $350 new. If you are looking for something cheaper you may want to consider used. Sometimes you can find great deals at gun shops on used handguns. Seeing that you are from Pottsville...you may want to plan a trip to cabelas and take a look at their used section. I have picked up numerous used guns from there.

For younger new shooters I don't think you can get a better pistol than the Ruger Single actions. They are safe, accurate and last forever.

Almost any .22. They are great to start with, cheep to shoot and you can learn a lot with them. Next would be a .357 because you can shoot .38 Spl out of them and shoot a lot.

(Centre County)

I wouldn't recommend any perticuler model, as what I consider a "Good starting pistol" may not works for you.

But my suggestion for a $300 budget would be something chambered in .22LR.(Presume this is your first firearm).
    You can shoot as often as you can on cheap. Which is important when your first start shooting pistols. and most all .22LR pistols(with exception of few) are very accurate, which would be great for target practice.
    I have pistols in many calibers, but my .22LR Ruger is still the one that I shoot the most.

You should be able to find used Ruger MkII or III, Browning Buckmark, or S&W 22A in various configulation well under $300.

There are some other .22LR guns in that price range, such as Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, Neos, and so on. But my personal experience with Sig Mosquito and Walther P22 arent the greatest, and I never messed with Neos.

I have 2 MkIII's, and they never let me down in anyway...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Philadelphia County)

No offense to you, I am just going off your post, but you seem to be new to guns!

We where all there at one point too.

Take that $300 and get some introduction classes, range time with a few rental guns, and training.

Save your penny's for a while. While saving, go to group shoots, talk here, research here/online and make a small list of the guns YOU like and want.

By the time you saved up $600-$700, you will know exactly what firearms your in the market for. Get what you want. Not what we suggest for under $300 to you.

You won't be happy, nor will we!

(York County)

Going to need more info for people to make any good recommendations.
    What do you want it for? Home defense/carry or plinking/target ? do you want a revolver or a semi automatic? Do you have any problem with hand strength for racking slides? What have you looked at so far and liked in that price range?
    Without knowing any of this I will just throw this out... a good quality .22 semi-auto like a Ruger mark II/III would make a nice gun to start with.

(Bucks County)

Given your budgetary constraint, I'd recommend a Ruger Mark III pistol.

They are cheap and the ammo is cheap (which means you can shoot more and get comfortable with your gun and the basics of shooting).

If you buy a gun that shoots a larger caliber, you won't be able to shoot it as often (unless you have a lot of extra money for ammo).

Get something bigger later.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

You should be able to find used Ruger Mk II or III's from $199 up to $2xx.

They are great fun, reliable, and very accurate. I also second the notion of getting some formal training/classes. Not "tactical" classes, but training on basic fundamentals like stance, grip, sight picture, trigger press, etc.

And if you do go with a .22lr, you'd really save a lot of money on practice ammo - the cost difference is roughly 10x compared to .45CP, or 5x-6x compared to 9mm or .40S&W. (should be able to get decent practice .22lr ammo for around $25/500 rounds, when a box of .45ACP is around $25/50, and a box of 9mm is around $15/50, depending on where you shop)

For close-in, pistol shooting (<15 yards or <45 ft), even bulk golden bullets will work fine. For longer range (with a .22lr rifle), Wolf match extra is inexpensive, and works very well.

Also, don't think of .22lr as a "beginners only" round. They are extremely fun to shoot, even for seasoned shooters, and great for working on fundamentals like proper trigger press, etc. Think of a whole day of shootin' fun with a friend or family, and costing only $20-30 for a whole day's worth of ammo, rather than $15-25 per box (50 rounds)!

A pistol in 22lr. Ruger or Browning there are some other good ones out there too. But they can be had for less than $300 and then spend the rest on ammo and magazines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast