Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default beginer training

Whats the best beginer training. I was look at the NRA basic classes. Are they any good for being so cheap?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: beginer training

What kind of training do you want?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What kind of training do you want?
    From the OP's thread title it sounds like he's a beginner and looking for basic firearms training, which the NRA course is a good start.

(Philadelphia County)

Welcome to the PAFOA Commmunity!

We are offering an NRA Basic Pistol Course on 9/18/10 if you are interested. The course is approximately 8 hours. 4 hours is classroom and 4 hours is taught on the range. Course details is as follows.

NRA BASIC PISTOL COURSE

Date: September 18, 2010
    Time: 08:00 - 16:00
    Course Location: 451 Veit Road, Huntington Valley, PA 19006.
    Live Fire portion at Clasic Pistol, Southampton, Pennsylvania
    Course cost: $125.00
    Lunch provided

Short Description : Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely.

More Details: This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 2nd edition, 2009)

*Note Florida Permit is now valid for 7 years*

FLORIDA CCW CLASS - (CARRY in 34 states with RESIDENT PA LTCF also . . .

FLORIDA CCW only 30 states including PA legally!!!) (Reciprocity agreements change frequently so please confirm before traveling)

Successful completion of this class meets the requirements for a Florida CCW and/or Virginia CCW. Application assistance program, notary, fingerprints, and passport photos, will be done prior to the class start at no additional charge. Disclaimer: The Florida/Virginia CCW workshop prior to class is in no way associated with the NRA or its programs. Students not desiring Florida CCW may still attend. Range portion of class will commence at Conestoga Rod and Gun Club in Southampton, Pennsylvania. A $50.00 dollar cancellation fee after 09/08/2010 will apply.

To register please send email too:

info@team-life.org
    www.team-life.org

Regards,

Gregory R. Brown
    NRA Instructor, CRSO
    Team Life, Inc.
    (215) 310-5436 office
    Last edited by gbrown221; August 29th, 2010 at 10:12 PM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by jamonit View Post
    Are they any good for being so cheap?

The NRA supplies material to its instructors at rock bottom prices. Basically they sell the stuff for what it cost. That is one thing that keeps the price down. Another factor is the efforts that instructors put into classes are not compensated relative to their expertise. If you compare a NRA class to somthing at your comunity college, you will see what a bargin it is. The other factor is competition. There are lots of instructors around that want to teach others about guns. Gun clubs often supply the space for classes at a low price or free.
    Take the course. Let me know if you feel that you did not get more than your moneys worth.
    Richard Dravis
    NRA Training Counselor

(Allegheny County)

the curriculum of the NRA basic pistol class is a good start for beginners, imho.

the quality of the class will depend to some extent at least on the particular instructor.

you do not have to really be a good shooter or know how to shoot well to get an NRA instructor credential. but, the NRA supplies the curriculum for the course and NRA instructors are supposed to teach straight from that curriculum.

so, i think it is a good way to get started unless the instructor does not follow the NRA mandated lesson plan.

to actually become proficient at using a pistol for self-defense or for competition, etc., though, you will eventually have to go beyond the NRA courses. at that point, the quality of the instructor means everything.

just my two cents.
    F*S=k

(Delaware County)

Some ranges offer courses ranging from beginner to intermediate. These also can be a good start. I remember the last time I renewed my ACT 235 card I talked to a lot of guys at the range portion who were taking the Initial ACT 235 course even though they had no current or future interest in armed security type jobs. They felt it would be sort of an "advanced firearms/legal issues course". It is not and I think a waste of their money. Well anyway a few were really good shots and professional in their gun handling. They had no professional background but had taken the handgun courses affliated with the TargetMaster range. Now I know TargetMaster gets a lot of comments here. I'm not making any comments good or bad about their store/range but it appears the folks that do these courses are good teachers and know what they are doing.
    Tim