Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default IDPA. Advice please.

Ok, I'll keep this short. I'd like to go try an IDPA shoot up at the Lewistown pistol club. I checked out their website as well as the IDPA website. Any suggestions? I have a S&W Model 15 .38spc that I want to use. I will need a new holster for it. Any suggestions? Also, if anyone is a member there and shoots IDPA any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated. I know practically nothing about action shooting other than it looks like fun. I want to shoot in some type of competition in the worst way and IDPA looks like the most easily accessible with the least cash outlay.
    Thanks in advance.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: IDPA. Advice please.

Best advice in IDPA, only shoot as fast as you can make hits

Its way better to be a slow hitter than a fast misser. If you hit in to the -1 zone its a .5 second penalty, thats more than enough time that you could have placed a nice -0 zone hit.

If your holster is IDPA legal just use what you have for now. I don't shoot revolvers so I won't be much help with equipment selection. I would recommend an OWB holster just because they are quicker and easier to get you gun out. As far as shooting goes just take your time and try to be safe and accurate the first couple times you go. After you are more confident start worrying about speed and scores. Best advice I can give you is calm down and look at your sight picture every time you shoot. Do a lot of dry fire practice before you go with whatever equipment you choose so you are familiar with it. Everyone I have ever dealt with at IDPA has been super helpful and always go the extra mile for new shooters so relax and have fun. Get two or three more jobs to help pay for ammo because it's addicting.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Perry County)

Unfortunately my holster doesn't cover the trigger so I can't use it. The holster isn't specifically for my model 15. I picked it up at an auction in a box of old holsters. It fits and retains great but the trigger is exposed.

So, I went to the range today to do a little practicing since I've been reading about IDPA shooting for days now. I really had the itch. I took the Smith K-38 and the Llama 1911. I figured I'd try them out and see which one I did better with. I shot good groups with the 1911 but not where I was aiming. With the K-38 I did much better. At 10 and 15 yards I kept all of my shots in an 8 inch circle. At 25 yards I put 19 out of 24 rounds in the 8 inch circle. This is definitely my gun of choice to start shooting IDPA. I even did some barrel drills with the trash can that was at the range. I only did that at 10 yards. I didn't crowd the target and I kept everything but my head, shoulders and arms behind the barrel. All 12 rounds (I shot 6 rounds at 15 and then ran to the barrel reloaded and shot 6 rounds from behind cover)went into the 8 inch circle. I can't wait to go watch a match and then try to shoot one!

(Blair County)

I found this link to be helpful:
    http://www.gadpa.com/index.php/ipda/...oter-briefing/
    I believe you will find some IDPA shoots in the Harrisburg area also. The other shooters were very helpful to me the first time I went.
    Good luck!
    Jim

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Another helpful link, for CENTRAL PA

http://pennjerseyidpa.com/ look under AREA CLUBS link.

Also look at http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/ As local as you can get, pretty near. I'm going to visit there, if only to watch.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Perry County)

Thanks guys.

(Pike County)

Howdy. I'd suggest one of these:

http://www.fobusholster.com/products...ER-462-86.html

They can be found lot's of places for $20-25. Try Midway part # 596-688. I assume you have a good belt, if you don't get one. I like Bianchi leather belts, but have been considering on the the 'Wilderness' instructor style belts such as Midway # 828-711. Remember to size a belt +2" for paddle or IWB holster and pouches. You'll need three speedloaders with belt holsters. Safariland Comp III's are the raciest option, Comp I's work ok and can be found pretty cheap. I wouldn't bother with the HKS style. I've used them in desperation, but they do suck very badly for competition.

The best advice I can give you is the advice I always give - just go do it. The shooters are always friendly and I've never been to a club that didn't welcome new competitors. Let them know you are new, be ready to pass a simple safety check (load, unload, draw, holster without doing anything unsafe) and walk through your first match with the goal of getting all of your hits and nothing more.

You'll soon be hooked like the rest of us!

--RobW

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Howdy. I'd suggest one of these:

http://www.fobusholster.com/products...ER-462-86.html

They can be found lot's of places for $20-25. Try Midway part # 596-688. I assume you have a good belt, if you don't get one. I like Bianchi leather belts, but have been considering on the the 'Wilderness' instructor style belts such as Midway # 828-711. Remember to size a belt +2" for paddle or IWB holster and pouches. You'll need three speedloaders with belt holsters. Safariland Comp III's are the raciest option, Comp I's work ok and can be found pretty cheap. I wouldn't bother with the HKS style. I've used them in desperation, but they do suck very badly for competition.

The best advice I can give you is the advice I always give - just go do it. The shooters are always friendly and I've never been to a club that didn't welcome new competitors. Let them know you are new, be ready to pass a simple safety check (load, unload, draw, holster without doing anything unsafe) and walk through your first match with the goal of getting all of your hits and nothing more.

You'll soon be hooked like the rest of us!

--RobW
    I noticed you from Milford. Where do you shoot IDPA? I'm going to Factoryville this Saturday with a bunch of guys, always a good shoot.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Pike County)

I've shot at a few of the local clubs - Factoryville, Easton, Ontelaunee, Phillipsburg, BRCV, etc. Haven't been to Factoryville in a while (I've been on a contract that has me working most Friday nights and Saturdays). I might make it this weekend to Factoryville or New Holland, depending on my schedule over the long weeknd. It's been a pretty quiet year for me, shooting wise. I've attended more matches in a good month than I've shot this entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I noticed you from Milford. Where do you shoot IDPA? I'm going to Factoryville this Saturday with a bunch of guys, always a good shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast